• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

three things I always wondered about Chuck's Church collection

158 posts in this topic

The only explanation possible for lack or warping and spine rolls has to be the way comics were constructed in the 1940's. It might have helped that they were 64 pages back then instead of the much thinner modern comics. And that the covers were thicker. Maybe because of these factors, they were much more stackable than moderns.

The only explanation possible for lack or warping and spine rolls has to be the way comics were constructed in the 1940's. It might have helped that they were 64 pages back then instead of the much thinner modern comics. And that the covers were thicker. Maybe because of these factors, they were much more stackable than moderns.

That is a partial explanation but there are certainly many delicate books from the late 40s and early 50s that were thinner. These are, however, likely to have been on top of the large stacks rather than at the bottom.

That is a partial explanation but there are certainly many delicate books from the late 40s and early 50s that were thinner. These are, however, likely to have been on top of the large stacks rather than at the bottom.

I would attribute "increased stackability" to three other factors: 1) book size: GA books are larger and while somewhat heavier, the load is distributed across a larger surface reducing the overall amount of stress caused; 2) staple thickness: compare a 40's staple to a 90's and 00's staple and today's staples look monstruous (word?) which combined to 3) fold production: check out a GA book and a modern book. GA books were truly folded during production while Modern are barely rolled which gives a Modern book at the end of production a fat fold compared to a flat fold for GA. Hence, smaller staples in flat folds stack better than montruous staples in fat folds. It all adds up in a weird way to higher stackability for the Church books.

Burrel told me he loaned Chuck $2K. Chuck told me Burrel loaned him $2K.

Chuck told me he paid $2K for the collection.

So I am pretty sure that is what happened.

Good stuff, Richard! It`s awesome to finally have someone definitively confirm these figures! thumbsup2.gif

Is this comic book history in the making???... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Nah. I never thought there was any big mystery. This stuff is pretty common knowledge among some of us "old timers". I am only forty four. I was twelve when I first met Burrel. Fourteen when Chuck came to his first Houston-Con (with only one or two boxes of collection books). Fifteen when Camelot opened and when I attended my first San Diego Con (1978). The number of "involved" people in the hobby in the mid to late '70s was relatively small and, even though they was no internet, news got around.

Some of the rumor is due to two things. First, Chuck's desire to leave the story vague. Second, most of the other principles are no longer involved in the hobby or no longer with us. Bruce Hamilton, who was one of the first to purchase books from Chuck, passed away a few years back. Gary Carter, who along with his father and brother also made a large initial purchase, left the hobby a couple of years ago. Bruce and Gary have long been rumored to be initial investors. They are to the extent that they were given first shot at buying books from the collection after Burrel. And Burrel has been very reclusive in regards to comics. Thus most of the stories pertaining to the collection have been second hand.

I am by no means an expert. But, as far as Burrel's involvement, and the initial loan, I heard the story first hand as it was happening (and later confirmed by Chuck and the others). And when Burrel got the first big batch of Mile Highs that he bought from Chuck (on top of books to repay the loan) I was there. It was like new comic day at your LCS, except that everthing was twenty five years old or older! (It is odd how bronze age books are as old to me now as golden age was to me then!)

Good stuff, Richard! It`s awesome to finally have someone definitively confirm these figures! thumbsup2.gif

Is this comic book history in the making???... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

It would appear so.Weird though how A 893scratchchin-thumb.gifssman is afforded confidentiality but Chuck isn't.

It would appear so.Weird though how A 893scratchchin-thumb.gifssman is afforded confidentiality but Chuck isn't.

Not so weird at all, Shad. One has nothing to do with the other.

Nah. I never thought there was any big mystery. This stuff is pretty common knowledge among some of us "old timers". I am only forty four. I was twelve when I first met Burrel. Fourteen when Chuck came to his first Houston-Con (with only one or two boxes of collection books). Fifteen when Camelot opened and when I attended my first San Diego Con (1978). The number of "involved" people in the hobby in the mid to late '70s was relatively small and, even though they was no internet, news got around.

Some of the rumor is due to two things. First, Chuck's desire to leave the story vague. Second, most of the other principles are no longer involved in the hobby or no longer with us. Bruce Hamilton, who was one of the first to purchase books from Chuck, passed away a few years back. Gary Carter, who along with his father and brother also made a large initial purchase, left the hobby a couple of years ago. Bruce and Gary have long been rumored to be initial investors. They are to the extent that they were given first shot at buying books from the collection after Burrel. And Burrel has been very reclusive in regards to comics. Thus most of the stories pertaining to the collection have been second hand.

I am by no means an expert. But, as far as Burrel's involvement, and the initial loan, I heard the story first hand as it was happening (and later confirmed by Chuck and the others). And when Burrel got the first big batch of Mile Highs that he bought from Chuck (on top of books to repay the loan) I was there. It was like new comic day at your LCS, except that everthing was twenty five years old or older! (It is odd how bronze age books are as old to me now as golden age was to me then!)

Great stuff, Mr. B. Thanks for posting it. I'm sure many would be fascinated to hear you expand upon your memories of seeing that first batch come in if you'd care to do so.

Great stuff, Mr. B. Thanks for posting it. I'm sure many would be fascinated to hear you expand upon your memories of seeing that first batch come in if you'd care to do so.

motion seconded and thus carried

I recall reading that a large chunk of the books were stacked in two or three foot piles in the middle of the basement floor. Mostly western/crime type books late 40's -50's type stuff.

And the bulk of the premo GA superhero books were stored in a pantry or closet stacked from the floor to the floor joist and were stacked with the spines alternating.

The books that were purchased second hand are the pre-hero books like early Tecs(even Tec #27?) or Jumbos.

Also no funny animal books and no Nedors but Chuck mentions that there was a second closet that was empty except fot a box or two of pulps that were damaged by moisture from water pipes.

Are these known facts or more speculation?

I've also heard Chuck say it was way more then $2000.00 when he was interviewed by Vinny from metro. I made a post about it a while back if anybody would want to look for it.

I've heard Chuck say the same thing.He also has said he couldn't afford the books on his own so he borrowed some money to complete the deal.That he showed up to buy a collection while he was penniless defies common sense.

That he showed up to buy a collection while he was penniless defies common sense

Happens all the time. If you've found great books, you can get financing so the typical pattern is to see the books first (so you know whether you're being told a tall tale) and worry about the financing second.

I heard that as well.

How much is $2000.00 1970 dollars today? $15000.00 or more?

$10,719.02

Source: The CPI inflation calculator uses the average Consumer Price Index for a given calendar year. This data represents changes in prices of all goods and services purchased for consumption by urban households. This index value has been calculated every year since 1913. For the current year, the latest monthly index value is used.

I recall reading that a large chunk of the books were stacked in two or three foot piles in the middle of the basement floor. Mostly western/crime type books late 40's -50's type stuff.

And the bulk of the premo GA superhero books were stored in a pantry or closet stacked from the floor to the floor joist and were stacked with the spines alternating.

The books that were purchased second hand are the pre-hero books like early Tecs(even Tec #27?) or Jumbos.

Also no funny animal books and no Nedors but Chuck mentions that there was a second closet that was empty except fot a box or two of pulps that were damaged by moisture from water pipes.

I've also heard Chuck say it was way more then $2000.00 when he was interviewed by Vinny from metro. I made a post about it a while back if anybody would want to look for it.

There were later second hand books but the ones that people pay attention to are those early books which include Tec 27.

There were funny animal books in the collection but they were clearly not as proportionally well-represented as the other genres.

There were later second hand books but the ones that people pay attention to are those early books which include Tec 27.

There were funny animal books in the collection but they were clearly not as proportionally well-represented as the other genres.

I wonder if old Edgar never collected them or the family threw then out before they figured they could get some cash for them. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've heard Chuck say the same thing.He also has said he couldn't afford the books on his own so he borrowed some money to complete the deal.That he showed up to buy a collection while he was penniless defies common sense.

Who said he was penniless? He probably has some money but did not know he was going to find the motherlode of all collections. When he realized what was in that house, he found a way to gather enough money by whatever means it took.

I heard that as well.

well, a new comic today costs at least 10 times what it cost in 1977. on the other hand, a home computer system costs less (and is just slightly more powerful I might add)

I heard that as well.

$10,719.02

Source: The CPI inflation calculator uses the average Consumer Price Index for a given calendar year.

Gotta love ther CPI, a government inflation calculation that ignores food and energy prices. That way the government can tell you there is no inflation (as long as you don't want to eat or drive). insane.gif

Nah. I never thought there was any big mystery. This stuff is pretty common knowledge among some of us "old timers". I am only forty four.

Geez, I don't know what is more pathetic, that you are recognized as darn "old" in our hobby but are only 44, or that you are only 4 years older than me and I'm "young"! 893whatthe.gifpoke2.gif

I think I am starting to feel old. Sigh. frustrated.gif