• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vertical spine creasing

11 posts in this topic

Take an otherwise perfect book. Something from the Silver Age this is prone to this sort of thing. Open the book all the way and close it a few times, giving it a full length color breaking vertical spine crease, the kind you can typically only see by looking at the spine head on.

What is the book's grade now?

Are we talking about a book with offest staples on the cover side so the staples create the creasing point as opposed to where the book is folded. Because they create totally different crease lines. But I agree, SA spines are fragile little things.

And g dangit Scott.. are you going to lurk for 15 more months, or finally get in here and answer some of these, Cause I know you read them..in between serious court cases and playing flash games.

poke2.gif

Ze-

I think I know what you are referring to, but I'd call it "spine crack"... it's more like the ink along the spine cracks and flakes slightly rather than a "crease." (You see this often on moderns with the thick, glossy paperstock.)

If it's an otherwise perfect book and there is not heavy flaking, I could see a book with this phenomena going 9.0.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I think I know what you are referring to, but I'd call it "spine crack"... it's more like the ink along the spine cracks and flakes slightly rather than a "crease." (You see this often on moderns with the thick, glossy paperstock.)

If it's an otherwise perfect book and there is not heavy flaking, I could see a book with this phenomena going 9.0.

confused-smiley-013.gif

i'd agree with that, maybe as high as 9.2 depending on the severity of the cracking. i have a copy of ST 150 that exhibits this particular phenomenon.... thus is the bane of the perfectly-centered copy

So the assumption would be that because it occurs in the act of reading the book and isn't directly on the cover, it's not as damaging to the grade as a sub crease? Because its essentially the same thing. Move that "crack" 1 inch towards the center of the cover and what you have a full cover crease that kills the grade well below a 9.0.

Just a guess , but since the spine acts as a hinge and is creased/folded during production that if it cracks enough to break ink like you mentioned, the damage is viewed as less severe compared to a cbc down the middle of the cover where it was originally always totally flat.

While a spine crack isn't good, I do not think it is in the same ballpark as a bad sub crease. And should be downgraded with a little more leniency.

Does that make sense?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You guys are all high - they are reader's creases and generally knock a book down to the 7.0-7.5 range at best. Christo_pull_hair.gif What a bunch of hoi polloi insane.gif27_laughing.gif

the type of damage i'm describing could easily happen in the production process, when the stapled book is folded, or in storage, as books are jammed together in a long box, thus creating stress on the spine's edge... especially given that there are absolutely no transverse creases in the book i have, not to mention it's got a wee bit of a front to back miswrap.

hoi polloi indeed. are you reading Beanworld or sumpin, old man? makepoint.gif

You guys are all high - they are reader's creases and generally knock a book down to the 7.0-7.5 range at best. Christo_pull_hair.gif What a bunch of hoi polloi insane.gif27_laughing.gif

the type of damage i'm describing could easily happen in the production process, when the stapled book is folded, or in storage, as books are jammed together in a long box, thus creating stress on the spine's edge... especially given that there are absolutely no transverse creases in the book i have, not to mention it's got a wee bit of a front to back miswrap.

Production, my *spoon* . . . call a spade a spade makepoint.gif

stooges.gif

Production, my *spoon* . . . call a spade a spade makepoint.gif

stooges.gif

hell, i don't care where it came from. i've tried to sell the damned thing twice for less than 40% of guide and no one wants it even WITHOUT mentioning the spine creases that you so willingly want to ascribe to reading damage when it doesn't appear the book's ever been opened

confused-smiley-013.gif

ya 893censored-thumb.gif

poke2.gif