• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All New Zap Comix

21 posts in this topic

Hey guys just wondering how much an All New Zap Comix #1 is going for nowadays? Say in 5.0 condition. I see one at the lcs and as you well know R.Crumb books are not guided. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks thumbsup2.gif

The first edition/first printing was printed on Charles Plymell's offset printing press and thus is known as the Plymell edition. See following link which gives some additional info that was announcing a Heritage auction awhile back:

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=11757&si=123

Here's some more history and some sales history as well:

http://www.artcomic.com/cat/underground/books/zap1p.html

Here's info about why there's a #0 and a #1 (from Wikipedia):

The contents of the first Zap were not intended to be the debut issue. Crumb had drawn a completely different issue's worth of comics, but the artwork was stolen prior to publication. Rather than repeat himself, Crumb drew a new assortment of strips, which replaced the missing issue. Fortunately, Crumb had made Xerox copies of the missing pages, which according to fellow Zap contributor Victor Moscoco, successfully captured the linework but not the solid blacks. After being reinked, those cartoons subsequently appeared as Zap #0 (which was first published about the same time as Zap #3).

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zap_Comix

Also, I highly recommend the movie "CRUMB"...one of the most original and bizarre documentaries you'll ever see...very compelling...kindof like watching a family train wreck...

Back to the Plymell edition...there is a certain marking or the way it's printed on one of the interior pages that is unique to the Plymell but I can't remember what it is exactly...also, going by memory here...there might be a distinguishing aspect of the back cover from the ensuing printings...

I'll post my scans of 0-6 shortly...

GOOD LUCK!

I meant to add I'm not quite sure what you mean by "All New" Zap Comix #1...does the All New mean this is a fairly modern or current reprint? If so, it wouldn't be worth much.
No it has "all new" in title. I believe it to be a 3rd print as cover price is 35 cents. Thanks for the help man thumbsup2.gif

My Zap Comix run is among my favorites...

Zap Comix #1 (1st; salvaged from the 1970 Mowry's Opera House Fire)

th_myzap1_plymell.jpg

Zap Comix #1 (3rd; now PGX 9.8)

th_z1.jpg

Zap Comix #0 (1st)

th_myzap0.jpg

Zap Comix #2 (2nd)

th_pgxzap2.jpg

Zap Comix #3 (1st; now PGX 9.0)

th_z3.jpg

Zap Comix #4 (1st)

th_z4.jpg

And a few color variants...

th_zap4_cv3.jpgth_zap4_cv2.jpgth_zap4_cv1.jpg

Zap Comix #5 (1st)

th_zap5.jpg

Zap Comix #7 (1st)

th_z7.jpg

Zap Comix #8 (1st, Print Mint File Copy)

th_z8.jpg

Also how do you distinguish 1st from 3rd print? Hmm underground comics are hard to buy

1st= 25c cover, printed by CHARLES PLYMELL on back cover

2nd= 35c cover, printed by DON DONAHUE on back cover

3rd- 35c cover, no name on back cover