• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chris Stevens X-Men

20 posts in this topic

I just got scans for an X-Men 3 page piece I commissioned. They are up on CAF now. I am totally amazed. Chris did a fantastic job.

Check it out and tell me what you think.

X-Men by Stevens

Oh Well. To each his own I guess.

I like it. Couple of questions not exactly related to the art.

You say it is on 3 bristol boards. Howed you scan it to not show any seems and 2) what kind of scanner did you use to get your blacks so , um, BLACK. Check out my scans with the mustek(to scanners what circle k is to supermarkets). My scans are nowhere near as nice or i meant to say, "not so nice".

Mike

I'm really glad that your'e happy with it, Chris. Hopefully, you'll like it much more when you get to see it in person.

Kevin, I gotta admit, this is a first for me. I mean, if this were my thread of me showing my own art, then by all means tell me what you think, but why insult a piece of art that another collector has just aquired? I've just never seen that before. It may not be wrong or anything, but I always kinda thought of it as an unwritten rule. Even if I don't care for a piece another collector has just bought, I usually at least say "congrats" because I know it's something they're happy with. Just my thoughts.

not so nice, I can answer that.

I have a 11 by 17 scanner, so the single pages are scanned entirely. Then, I use Photoshop to pull the pieces together. The seams are less noticable, cause I went in and cleaned the edges up with different tools. That's why some things look a little off. It's really tricky to get everything lined up right.

The blacks are just me adjusting the levels. The levels feature fades out the pencil dirt and smudging and flattens out the blacks, so all you see are the inked areas real sharp. Leveling can hurt some of the line quality and give it a bit of a bitmapped look, but it's the easiest way that I know of to "clean" a scan.

BTW..I have a Mustek too lol. As long as you use a decent dpi of at least 300 you should be able to get nice scans.

That's straight from the artists mouth for you, Mike!

I'm really glad that your'e happy with it, Chris. Hopefully, you'll like it much more when you get to see it in person.

Kevin, I gotta admit, this is a first for me. I mean, if this were my thread of me showing my own art, then by all means tell me what you think, but why insult a piece of art that another collector has just aquired? I've just never seen that before. It may not be wrong or anything, but I always kinda thought of it as an unwritten rule. Even if I don't care for a piece another collector has just bought, I usually at least say "congrats" because I know it's something they're happy with. Just my thoughts.

I did ask for opinions so really that include positive and negative I suppose. Can't blame a guy for being blunt but I agree, some use slightly more tactful means.

I still like it. insane.gif

Thanks Felix.

Great piece! Yeah, not sure where the blocky comments are coming from... this ain't no JRjr. It feels like a cool 90s piece done in a current cartoony style. Again, great piece!

How do you plan on displaying it?

-Bob

Good question. I was thinking all as one piece in a frame but the frame would be pretty big. For now probably just lock it away with everything else in the portfolio until I figure it out. Any thoughts?

Or you could send me your big screen and I could try out your theory? stooges.gif

99.9% of the time I don't say anything,but he was looking for people thought about it,I wasn't insulting,I was giving my opinion.I don't care how great or how bad something is that someone bought,I didn't buy it,so what do I care? But if they are looking for opinions,then I'll be honest with them.