• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC blue ribbon digests/Marvel digests

28 posts in this topic

I know DC used to have their blue ribbon digests, but I don't know if marvel ever did. My question is this, why do marvel and dc not offer digests in bookstores and grocery stores similar to the archie digests. Both companies should have a huge catalog of ready to print material from the last 40-60 years that they could draw from. This just seems like a huge source of lost revenue for both companies, as there should be little production cost in each one. How cool would it be to go to your local grocer, and see The Incredible Hulk double digest! Would anyone else but me buy these?

-Chris

Target carried a-little-larger-than digests of Superman, Batman and Justice League Unlimited for awhile, but I've noticed that they're gone now. They also carry larger-than-normal Marvel reprints that are cheap, but hard to store.

I think you can find those DC digests in book stores and I know that comic shops can order those, too. But, I think they're rather pricey when you look at what you're getting.

Archie digests are well worth the money and give you reading material for hours. They set the standard as far as digests in my opinion.

Mike B.

I know DC used to have their blue ribbon digests, but I don't know if marvel ever did.

In the 80s Marvel put out Transformers and G.I. Joe digests. And their Star line was represented in digests as well. Come to think of it, it was almost all licensed properties.

I have one of the ASM digests circa mid to late 70's. I found it a thrift shop.

I also found some of the wal-mart digests at a Family Dollar store. You might try them.

Really makes you wonder why they arent doing this. If they can do the essentials and showcases why not broaden their comics exposure by putting them in grocery stores?

I read somewhere that it has something to do with Archie's digests having all the Point of Purchase spots already taken. Digests have better sales when they're at the store checkout aisles instead of in the magazine section. That was a problem with the Gladstone digests, them not being at the Point of Purchase, so I'm sure Marvel and DC may have the same problem. The Archie digests have been there for decades and I don't see anyone changing that anytime soon.

Mike B.

I have one of the ASM digests circa mid to late 70's. I found it a thrift shop.

I also found some of the wal-mart digests at a Family Dollar store. You might try them.

Those late 70s books were the Marvel pocketbooks..... they were shaped like a paperback book and had 6 issues each. I got ASM pocketbooks 1 and 3 on a family trip to Hawaii as a kid and read the covers off of them. I also had the Hulk pocketbook.

Marvel tried the digest format in the 80s - Spider-Man ran 13 issues, GI Joe ran about 9, and Star Comics, and Alf ran 2 or 3. I think there were Transformers digests as well.

Can someone post a scan of the newer Wal-Mart digests?

Marvel tried it with Dennis the Menace, too. There were at least TWO Dennis the Menace digest titles. They were called simply Dennis the Menace and The Very Best of Dennis the Menace and were published early in the 1980s.

It was very neat going to my local grocery store and finding a Marvel Comics digest beside the DC Blue Ribbon Digests and the Archie digests. I remember my Granny Clark buying me a Blue Ribbon Digest, a Dennis the Menace and an Archie's Madhouse digest. Hours of fun for way cheap prices.

Mike B.

Want to make a little wager that it's at least above a 9.0?

I will buy you 10 beers at Mid-Ohio if that book grades 9.0 or better. No need to wager. I will probably be buying anyway, so I might as well get you to sub that wretched dog, and get a good laugh out of Litch and the boys.