• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vault screw up...

64 posts in this topic

All Final Bids on successful Lots (Lots that have met required Reserve) are subject to an additional

10% Buyers Premium

crazy.gif

249927-bigshockgr.JPG

"ALL Credit card transactions are subject to a 2.5% additional surcharge of invoice total."

893frustrated.gif More charges? flamed.gif

FYI to all... the Exchange Rate can and does change daily and I'm not sure if it even takes place the day you initiate payment... it may be calculated when they get around to concluding the transaction on their end.

This was another issue I was confused about the first time I bid/won an item from the Vault. I saw the final price/charges on my online invoice (eventually i didn't work for a few days for me), paid via CC, and later when I received the CC bill... it was higher (by $20something?) At that point, John was on his own and I received no responses to my inquiries so I issued a chargeback for the amount charged over my invoice total.

I didn't figure it out until much later on that the difference was probably due to the exchange rate. The online invoice total did not match my actual CC charge, but I was not aware that could even happen. I'll be interested to see if they line up this time or possibly lower. The exchange rate can change in your favor as well as against you.

As someone mentioned if you use the CC... its a 12.5% premium + potential "exchange rate" fluctuation.

FYI to all... the Exchange Rate can and does change daily and I'm not sure if it even takes place the day you initiate payment... it may be calculated when they get around to concluding the transaction on their end.

This was another issue I was confused about the first time I bid/won an item from the Vault. I saw the final price/charges on my online invoice (eventually i didn't work for a few days for me), paid via CC, and later when I received the CC bill... it was higher (by $20something?) At that point, John was on his own and I received no responses to my inquiries so I issued a chargeback for the amount charged over my invoice total.

I didn't figure it out until much later on that the difference was probably due to the exchange rate. The online invoice total did not match my actual CC charge, but I was not aware that could even happen. I'll be interested to see if they line up this time or possibly lower. The exchange rate can change in your favor as well as against you.

As someone mentioned if you use the CC... its a 12.5% premium + potential "exchange rate" fluctuation.

Well...at least he doesn't charge your cc until he ships the book! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That could be advantageous or not depending on the exchange rate the day your card is charged. If you expect your online invoice to match your CC bill based on being charged the rate the day you think you paid... you may be wrong... that's all.

We should check back and see how close/off our invoices are from our CC bill... either way.

That could be advantageous or not depending on the exchange rate the day your card is charged. If you expect your online invoice to match your CC bill based on being charged the rate the day you think you paid... you may be wrong... that's all.

We should check back and see how close/off our invoices are from our CC bill... either way.

Problem is that my gets converted to Canuck bucks so can't really compare! Unlike you...I've dealt with and have learned to deal with exchange rate fluctuations. Doesn't really bother me really because I have no control over it! laugh.gif

...it took me by surprise and will others I assume. I think they've made the exchange rate info more prominent compared to the last time?.. so that helps.

I'm curious to know how large a percentage the rate can fluctuate though... it "could" represent a pretty big number and make a purchase more than you wanted to pay for the item.

As long as you know about the variables you can choose to participate or not, but I still don't know how large fluctuation is possible? Anyone have an idea?

...it took me by surprise and will others I assume. I think they've made the exchange rate info more prominent compared to the last time?.. so that helps.

I'm curious to know how large a percentage the rate can fluctuate though... it "could" represent a pretty big number and make a purchase more than you wanted to pay for the item.

As long as you know about the variables you can choose to participate or not, but I still don't know how large fluctuation is possible? Anyone have an idea?

Well, depending on the time of year or if there is any strife or war in the world, exchange rates can more a few percentage points rather shortly. But for me, 10 year ago, it would cost me around 15 percent extra to pay in US $$. Now, it's more like 45 percent. It was over 55 percent last year before all the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq. So...for me, it is a very significant factor that I have to consider! frown.gif

..I think we may be talking about 2 different things. I wasn't referring to the relationship between US $ and Pounds directly. Example, my win: (£116.00 ($186.76) (161%)

... I bid in US fund values so the exchange does not enter my mind at this point because I can closely determine my US fund bid as I go.

I meant that rate you can figure by dividing (161%) can VARY by a percentage due to daily changes in the ER. I was trying to determine what a reasonable fluctuation percentage may be in that regard (5% - 15%) or more?... does that make sense?... or am I missing some Canadian currency angle?

..I think we may be talking about 2 different things. I wasn't referring to the relationship between US $ and Pounds directly. Example, my win: (£116.00 ($186.76) (161%)

... I bid in US fund values so the exchange does not enter my mind at this point because I can closely determine my US fund bid as I go.

I meant that rate you can figure by dividing (161%) can VARY by a percentage due to daily changes in the ER. I was trying to determine what a reasonable fluctuation percentage may be in that regard (5% - 15%) or more?... does that make sense?... or am I missing some Canadian currency angle?

Well...I guess in that aspect, it is unlikely to change that much as long as no major economic news or strife in the world is happening. During the Iraq war, the Canadian $$ improved versus the USD by a few cents in a short period of time. Like something like 67 cents on the dollar to 72 cents. Unlikely to have that wide of a fluctuation this time. Plus, the Vault was moving last time so in theory, it shouldn't take as long. People who bid on previous auctions said that it took less than 2 weeks to receive the books. confused-smiley-013.gif

Nice book Gregster!
Yep...but I really shouldn't be spending any $$ at this time. Probably my last decent buy for the year UNLESS I can dump more of my recent CGC batch! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I hate you.

And....good evening to you again! 893blahblah.gif

Nice book Gregster!
Yep...but I really shouldn't be spending any $$ at this time. Probably my last decent buy for the year UNLESS I can dump more of my recent CGC batch! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I hate you.

And....good evening to you again! 893blahblah.gif

cloud9.gif