• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In the Spirit of giving

238 posts in this topic

Rather slim pickings of late. Watching the Heritage auctions to see where those Wood sections end up (hopefully in my collection :grin: ), but little else to speak of. Just a couple of purchases recently:

SpiritApr181943.jpg

SpiritMay211944.jpg

Were these from the time period that Lou Fine and Jack Cole were running with the strip?

Nice looking copies!

Yes they are, AS (thumbs u

I was thinking that I saw a bit of Jack Cole in the 1943 splash. Will and Jack were, to my eyes, the premier splash page artists of the 40s.

I was thinking that I saw a bit of Jack Cole in the 1943 splash. Will and Jack were, to my eyes, the premier splash page artists of the 40s.

As a stable of artists, you couldn't get much better than Eisner/Fine/Cole. Extraordinary talent there.

As a stable of artists, you couldn't get much better than Eisner/Fine/Cole. Extraordinary talent there.

That's a very good point -- they'll stack up well against really any lineup you choose to name, even the venerable EC gang.

I've been rather lax of late (read: lazy), so I haven't scanned any sections in a while. Since I had some time today, I figured I should catch and resurrect my dormant thread. Some of these are upgrades, so pardon the repetition if I've posted them before:

SpiritJul061941.jpg

SpiritAug241941.jpg

SpiritSep211941.jpg

SpiritJan031943.jpg

SpiritJan109143.jpg

SpiritJan171943.jpg

SpiritMay301943.jpg

Great sections!!

Is it just me, or does anyone else have trouble reading the sections with Ebony? It's so over the top stereotypical that I don't like the sections with him in them.

SpiritMay301943.jpg

Great sections!!

Is it just me, or does anyone else have trouble reading the sections with Ebony? It's so over the top stereotypical that I don't like the sections with him in them.

For me, it depends who was handling most of the chores. When Eisner was firmly at the helm (post war especially), they're some of my favorites. Were they repetitive? Yeah, sometimes. But remember that Ebony very prominent in the strip during the war years, and that's where a lot of the repetition and stagnation occurred.

SpiritMay301943.jpg

Great sections!!

:hi: You're not alone in that regard. I think to an extent what adds to that effect is the span of time (i.e., we're so much removed from what kids liked / did back then) which isn't an hindrance for the Spirit-centric stories since those were whodunnits and / or crime-solving driven.

Also I find a general lack of focus in the Ebony-centric stories. And, finally, who's ever enjoyed Chop Chop shorts or Woozy Winks stories on their own? ... Sidekicks should never become the center of attention, period :sumo: