• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Savage Sword of Conan TPB this December

14 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Hadn't seen this posted anywhere on the boards and thought someone would be interested. From CBR:

THE SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN

ROY THOMAS (W), BARRY WINDSOR-SMITH (A), JOHN BUSCEMA (A) , ALFREDO ALCALA (A), PABLO MARCOS (A), and others

On sale Dec. 19

b&w, 542 pages

$17.95

TPB, 7" x 10"

In the mid 1970s following the colossal success of Conan the Barbarian, Roy Thomas helped expand the universe of Conan to showcase further stories and the talents of some of the comics industry’s best with the equally popular Savage Sword of Conan magazine. Now, for the first time in over thirty years, these primal tales, featuring Robert E. Howard’s most popular character, are available in this, the first in a series of massive trade paperbacks, collecting all Savage Sword Conan stories beginning with issue one.

Included in this volume are tales by Roy Thomas, featuring the breathtaking art of such legends as Barry Windsor-Smith, John Buscema, Alfredo Alcala, Jim Starlin, Al Milgrom, Pablo Marcos, Walter Simonson, and more.

But that’s not all. Also included in this tome are Conan’s few appearances in the title Savage Tales—for the complete Conan collection!

• Reprinting Savage Sword of Conan for the first time since its original publication. This is the first volume in the series.

• Launching Dark Horse’s black-and-white Dark Horse Presents omnibus format. 500+ pages for the value price of $17.95!!!

I'm excited by the news of an affordable collection... I just really hope the size is a misprint and they end up publishing at the original page size.

-Bob

That's a great price ($17.95) for 542 pages of Conan no matter the size! 893whatthe.gif

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif Freakin' AWESOME! Can't wait.

They need to follow this up with a similar Savage Tales volume.

cool now I can move all the mags I was working on figuring that was the only way I was ever going to read the stories. Great idea.

Who else picked this up? I've been waiting for this since it was announced & was thrilled when it came out yesterday! I was a bit disappointed that Dark Horse went with the "cheap" format like Marvel's Essential line. I would have paid more for a better format like their current Omnibus editions; but hey, for $17.95 it's a heck of a deal for almost 550 pages of classic Conan that hasn't been reprinted in 30 years. This is going to be a fun read!!! :applause:

I saw it at my LCS on Tuesday night but could not pick it up until yesterday. It looks okay, but I agree that they should have done things a little more upscale than a cheaper essentials style TPB. If they come out with a hardcover edition I would pay more!

Its a great bunch of reading I bought it to keep from having to read my originals. I wish these types of Trades included the full comics though, letters pages original advertising etc. You couldnt cram as many issues in the book but for me I get almost as big a kick out reading the ads and the letters as I do the story.

The smaller page size was a little tuff as it seemed to cram the art, but overall a great book for the money!

The smaller page size was a little tuff as it seemed to cram the art

Agreed - I know they published a few full-sized hardcover volumes in France a few years ago which reprinted the early issues of SSOC; I wish Dark Horse would do the same here because I feel a lot was lost with this small and, let's face it, rather crummy reproduction. :(

But, on a value-for-money basis, this one is still off-the-charts. :headbang: