• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Long Until You Found Your First BIG Grail?

37 posts in this topic

Saw my first X-Men #1 on a convention wall back in 1983/1984 when I was around 12 or 13 years old. Got out of collecting while in college and shortly thereafter. Got back in after the first X-Men film came out in mid-2000, and bought my own copy of X-Men #1 in September 2000. cloud9.gif

So about 16-17 years. My NEXT big grail will be FF #1 -- should be soon.

I'm just wondering how long it took each of you to find your first BIG "grail" comic from the time you first set eyes on it to when you finally got it in-hand? (BIG doesn't necessarily mean most expensive, but instead, MOST desired).

It took my 12 years to find my Daring love in g/vg condition.Even in that shape I paid 4-5 times guide.

When that happens, will you stick around for a while instead of all this hit-and-run posting

I don't know, are there any new members who have some passion for refining the grading standard like I did a few years ago? If so, I'd be inspired to do more than "hit-and-run" posting. Refining grading through discussion and debate was my primary interest until I dropped out of the hobby for the last two years. I recall feeling like I was giving monologues in extending the simple numerical methods and categorizing of defects Overstreet does in his grading guide, so I began to get bored. I also got bummed out about everyone always being bummed out about what I still think is one of THE most trivial yet overblown issues in high-grade comics collecting, pressing. Everyone still got a stick up their bums about this?

I'm slowly getting back into it -- and every week my interest in buying comics grows again. I'm now VERY actively looking for the books in my sig, so if you know where I can find them, let me know!!!

My next big grail maybe asm 1.Kind of hard to pay tghough as I had 3 at the same time.Still remember buying a copy from the dentist(then a student) while he was at Hugh O kennons house.Nice vg/fn 190 dollars.

Does he sell on ebay, Hugh O'Kennon I mean? Because if he does, I've bought some of my finest Spirit sections from him.

Angelo

well one of my grails was a high grade Daredevil 111. took me 5 months to get a 9.2 (thanks Rodey) and then 4 more months to score a 9.6 copy off Heritage, only 1 of 6. But my very first grail was no ASM 1 or FF 1 or AF 15. No, it was a cgc 9.8 Tag & Bink are Dead #1. At the time (and after searching for 2 months) there were only 2 and one had already sold on ebay. I contacted the seller of that first book knowing he wouldn't have it, but he did! Of couse he sold it to me for twice the amount the first one sold for but it didn't matter to me. there are 3-9.8 copies out there now and I also own the 9.6 qualified (signed) and one 9.8 Tag & Bink Returns #1.

Right now my new grails are a 9.8 Marvel Zombies #1 1st print and a 9.2 ASM 33. But I'm not in a hurry to get any of those.

I'm just wondering how long it took each of you to find your first BIG "grail" comic from the time you first set eyes on it to when you finally got it in-hand? (BIG doesn't necessarily mean most expensive, but instead, MOST desired).

sadly still looking. i don't want to have to upgrade later, so i'm looking to buy the grail once and for all. i know that if i settle for something in a low grade, it'll probably take a week before i find another that looks just slightly better than mine.

Hard to chose just one book but action comics 252 seems to be stalking me.

Right now my grail is avengers #1-10 i have 8 and 10 already and will be searching for decent copys of the others at SD comic-con this month along with ASM #50

and conan #1.

I`ve been in touch with one seller thats going to the con and already have a lead on conan#1in VF. :applause:

Anything i don`t find,i`ll try ebay after.