• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest CBG - CGC Snafu!!!!

57 posts in this topic

Separate from CI's "The Great Glove Debate of 2003 - Do they, or Don't They?!?"...does anybody on this board uses gloves when they handle their raw books?!?!? If so, do you use it for every raw book, or just the high grade, expensive books? How expensive? Maybe a new thread/poll is in order...

I wear gloves when prescreening new books for submission to CGC. I wear a glove when I put on my Thriller jacket and moonwalk to "Billie Jean is not my lover" when I get my CGc books back at 9.8 and up tongue.gif

I don't wear gloves when I'm reading the "fresh off the newstand" weekly comics from my local store as they are all beat with defects that they are only good for reading anyway. I don't wear gloves when I'm perusing and sniffing my water damaged mildewy 30 centers, hoping to get stoned off the penicilin derivatives the foxing on my variants is currently producing (Realitytrip - when you get that MGC 64 I sent you, you'll know firsthand what I'm talking about tongue.gif )

Cool Darth...except now I'm going to be Billy Jeaning all day! 893frustrated.gif

I wear gloves too...when digging up my garden, raking, and snow-skiing, but not when "playing" with my books. However I do recall wearing 'em back in my rebellious adolescent days when those loser college kids skipped town without paying me for their 5 am newspaper deliveries (which I faithfully delivered each and every morning), and I had to "evaluate" whether or not there was anything of value left in their ranshackled rented houses after they moved out (or did they?) at the end of the semester! 893whatthe.gif

I wear gloves when prescreening new books for submission to CGC. I wear a glove when I put on my Thriller jacket and moonwalk to "Billie Jean is not my lover" when I get my CGc books back at 9.8 and up tongue.gif

I don't wear gloves when I'm reading the "fresh off the newstand" weekly comics from my local store as they are all beat with defects that they are only good for reading anyway. I don't wear gloves when I'm perusing and sniffing my water damaged mildewy 30 centers, hoping to get stoned off the penicilin derivatives the foxing on my variants is currently producing (Realitytrip - when you get that MGC 64 I sent you, you'll know firsthand what I'm talking about tongue.gif )

you obviously don't wear a glove while making whoopie. 893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Separate from CI's "The Great Glove Debate of 2003 - Do they, or Don't They?!?"...does anybody on this board uses gloves when they handle their raw books?!?!? If so, do you use it for every raw book, or just the high grade, expensive books? How expensive? Maybe a new thread/poll is in order...

But if the presence of fingerprints can change (lower) a book's grade, shouldn't they wear them all the time?

and... 893offtopic1.gif

Additionally, when grading, is it not an accumulation of defects that determines the final grade? If a book has a 1" color-breaking crease, that doesn't mean that the grade given is the lowest grade that allows for that defect, right? If it has a 1" color-breaking crease as well as 14 other spine breaks, don't those factor in as well? Shouldn't a book with an enormous number of defects then drop accordingly?

It just seems that most of the books I see are graded according to their worst defect and not the sum total of their defects.

Am I overthinking this? 893frustrated.gif

Fingerprints are probably acceptable in the lower grades so no need to take that precaution. However if the book is a black cover (Submariner 8 for instance) and the original glossy sheen is still intact then yes, best have gloves on to inspect that!

Fingerprints are probably acceptable in the lower grades so no need to take that precaution. However if the book is a black cover (Submariner 8 for instance) and the original glossy sheen is still intact then yes, best have gloves on to inspect that!

So, in the same way that certain defects are allowed in the NM grade range for example, fingerprints are allowed in lower grades?

Hmmm. This is all making sense once again... cloud9.gif

Graders are constantly washing(yes, and drying ) their hands to make sure that dirt from one comic does not get onto another.

I like to bathe my hands in extra virgin olive oil before handling my books. It helps maintain the superior gloss and "mint look"!!! grin.gif

Additionally, when grading, is it not an accumulation of defects that determines the final grade? If a book has a 1" color-breaking crease, that doesn't mean that the grade given is the lowest grade that allows for that defect, right? If it has a 1" color-breaking crease as well as 14 other spine breaks, don't those factor in as well? Shouldn't a book with an enormous number of defects then drop accordingly?

It just seems that most of the books I see are graded according to their worst defect and not the sum total of their defects.

Am I overthinking this? 893frustrated.gif

You're not overthinking it...your musings are leading right down the road that most people follow on the way to the contemporary grading standards. Your example was almost a good one, except that the 14 spine breaks are almost as severe as the 1" color-breaking crease; those two sets of defects are too equivalent to be a good comparative example to compare to fingerprints on a low-grade book. VG or below books typically have a collection of defects which are significantly more severe than a fingerprint or two...the types of fingerprints you leave from simple handling with clean hands are typically only enough to lower grade at the 9.9 and 10.0 level.

I just hope the graders don't eat while they grade. That just doesn't work, unless we're talking about eating candy bars in their wrappers or something.

Gloves are not worn when grading every comic book. Gloves are always worn when grading mid-to-high and high grade comics. When handling low grade books, we do not need to wear gloves.

I don't know about anyone else, but this makes little or no sense.

In any environment where condition-sensitive (or fragile/dangerous) materials are present, the employees are trained to observe proper working protocol wherever they are. That means that if you only work in X area on Thursdays, it doesn't mean you can come in wearing shorts the other 4 days.

The reason is to standardize behavior and not allow different behavior in different environments, as that leads to carelessness and mistakes. As in forgetting to put your gloves on after, or a propensity for employees to flaunt the regulations when they see fit.

This is just basic human nature and is the main reason why these procedures are set in place.

I have to agree with JC on this one. I think I would actually take it a step further. I think gloves should be worn at all times for consistancy and they should be changed frequently because ink builds up on the fingertips of the gloves and can cause smudges on other comics and reduce grade. Better safe than sorry as they say. I don't see how wearing gloves for 8hrs a day is a problem. Hell, when I go to Subway to get a sandwich they wear gloves and change them frequently. I think my comics deserve at least equal treatment to a Subway sandwich. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Do any gloves allow the user to delicately select & turn one page at a time?

I can only imagine scenarios where you don't always get a nice & easy page turn

because you can't always lift & separate a single page without grabbing it,

or you don't realize you're pressing too hard because of the glove's effect

on your senses at the fingertips.

According to Steve B., the reason for not wearing the gloves all the time is they're uncomfortable. If the grading process is sufficiently divided into high grade and low grade, and never the twain shall meet, then graders not wearing gloves in "the low-grade room" seems reasonable. If, however, they're expected to don the gloves intermittently throughout the day, it does seem likely that there would be instances in which a grader forgets to put the gloves on and ends up handling a high grade book without them.

I also find it interesting that Steve illustrates the value of NOT consistently wearing gloves with the example of inspecting a book for glue on the spine... it never occurred to me that this could be done more effectively by *feel* than by look... other types of resto, yes, but glue on the spine? Fascinating... However, wouldn't this type of restoration check be required on any book, or at least any book from before 1970 or some cut-off date? In that case, wouldn't every book need to be handled without gloves? In other words, if you have to use touch to find such resto in the first place, how is touching every pre-19XX book avoided?

then graders not wearing gloves in "the low-grade room" seems reasonable.

"Hey Bob, it's time to go back in the Low Grade Room!"

"I don't wanna go, it stinks in there, and the spiders and silverfish are killer"

A semi-informative article, with alot of pictures, and a snazzy shot of Steve encased in a slab!

My main problem with this whole thing is that they graded Comics Guaranty LLC #1 a 10.0!!! No way would that grade at 10.0. Look at the receding hair line!!! The cheesy goat beard!!!, and flabby body!!!! No where near a 10.0!!! I also hear that the back of this particular copy has a pony tail!!! UGH!!! I grade this POS copy a .5.