• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

questions about CGC grading

9 posts in this topic

I am new to this hobby and I have created an E-bay store where I want to sell comics. Now.. obviously, CGC graded books sell for more, and seem to be more highly sought after. So, I ask these questions:

If I read the fees correctly, the cost to grade one book is $21.00 with a minimum of 100 books? meaning a total of $2100.00? Did I miss something?

Assuming I pay $21.00 for a grade, what exactly does it do to the value of the book? I mean, let's say the value of the book (let's say from the 2007 issue of any generic price guide) is $40.00 if M/NM; I pay the $21.00 and my book gets graded 7.0, That means that because it is not M/NM the value falls below $40.00, and I just spent 1/2 of the Mint value getting it graded, but.. what does the 7.0 grade actually do to the value?

If someone could clear up some of my confusion, I would appreciate it.

I am new to this hobby and I have created an E-bay store where I want to sell comics. Now.. obviously, CGC graded books sell for more, and seem to be more highly sought after. So, I ask these questions:

If I read the fees correctly, the cost to grade one book is $21.00 with a minimum of 100 books? meaning a total of $2100.00? Did I miss something?

Assuming I pay $21.00 for a grade, what exactly does it do to the value of the book? I mean, let's say the value of the book (let's say from the 2007 issue of any generic price guide) is $40.00 if M/NM; I pay the $21.00 and my book gets graded 7.0, That means that because it is not M/NM the value falls below $40.00, and I just spent 1/2 of the Mint value getting it graded, but.. what does the 7.0 grade actually do to the value?

If someone could clear up some of my confusion, I would appreciate it.

you're not reading the fees correctly.

The "Value" tier is for books with a fair market value of $100 or less. There is a 30 book minimum associated with this tier, so the total is $21 x 30 = $630. Plus shipping.

I suggest doing a bit of research into the whole concept of comic book valuation, and grading before you sink a bunch of money into your ebay store. And by a "bit," I mean "lots and lots."

Comic books arrive at their value through three major factors; desirability, rarity and grade. A book with high desirability but low grade and low rarity - like, say a Hulk 181 - will sell for a significant percentage of Guide price.

A book with low desirability but high grade and high rarity will likely take forever to sell, but eventually will to someone with a specific need for that book.

A book with low desirability, high grade and low rarity - like Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man #1 - will sell for twenty-five cents.

This is not a hobby you can just drop a bunch of money into and expect to turn a great profit. It takes quite a bit of time learning how to grade, learning what people are looking for, and figuring out what is rare vs. what is already in everybody's longboxes.

Not to insult you in anyway but if you are stating a book is nm/m and it comes back a 7.0 then you really should get the overstreet guide to grading as the perfect start to better grading.

What I was saying is that the priceguide book says the value is $40.00 IF the book is M/NM

But thank you for your comment. As for the Bit of reasearch and making tons of money, I know.. just like with any other business,m it takes time. I guess what I wanna know is: is getting books graded really worth my time?

Not to insult you in anyway but if you are stating a book is nm/m and it comes back a 7.0 then you really should get the overstreet guide to grading as the perfect start to better grading.

What I was saying is that the priceguide book says the value is $40.00 IF the book is M/NM

But thank you for your comment. As for the Bit of reasearch and making tons of money, I know.. just like with any other business,m it takes time. I guess what I wanna know is: is getting books graded really worth my time?

Yes if they are high grade, scarce, keys, golden age and silver age. I wouldnt waste my time on modern books.

I would also recommend getting GP Analysis as it will help you gauge a more accurate price for the books you are thinking about submitting.

Virgin, I really have echo Sal's advice. If you really want to get into selling comics, you will really need to spend some time learning how to grade books. Sure, it's a subjective practice where many times we will differ on a grade within a point or so, but people who really know how to grade won't vary all that much. If you sell to knowledgeable collectors and are significantly off in the grading or misrepresent your products (intentionally or otherwise), you'll have some pretty unhappy customers.

I'd suggest getting involved in the hobby, learn the ins and outs, and then consider going into business once you've gotten more familiarized. Just my two cents...

Here's a few examples:

Hulk #181 raw. looks to be in the VF/NM range. This one is a no brainer. You send it in and take a chance. Could come back 8.5 to 9.2, but either way you will more than recoup your grading fee's.

Any modern that appears to be NM+/Mint. Unless it is a variant or a low print run thats hard to get you most likely will not get your slabbing fee's out of the book unless it comes back 9.9 or better. There are many sellers on ebay moving 9.6 and 9.8 books for well below what they paid for slabbing because their is no longer any real interest.

Reflecting the advice from everyone else so far spend the time up-front to properly grade. If you don't know what to look for the books you think are NM could in reality be VF at best. After learning how to grade then you would have to figure out the books you want to buy to send in.

Tim,

None of the books you've shown us so far are even remotely qualified to send into CGC for grading. Your financial analysis is correct. It does not pay to slab crappy books. wink.gif