• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Counterfeit comics, possible or not?

36 posts in this topic

Is anyone worried that the copying technology is getting so advanced that someone could copy key comics and sell them as original and no one would know? I watched a History Channel program that showed how advanced the counterfeiters are getting at reproducing money and thought that since there are no security measures incorporated into comics that they would be easier to reproduce than money. Can someone please ease my paranoia and tell me it isn't possible? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

They would have to go through a hell of a lot of trouble to age the thing artificially. insane.gif
Plus kinda hard to do without the printing plates! mad.gif

They would have to go through a hell of a lot of trouble to age the thing artificially. insane.gif
Plus kinda hard to do without the printing plates! mad.gif

Couldn't they just use a copy machine using the comic book itself? That is what they do with money.

Sure....that's the ticket. 893frustrated.gif

That was the only thing I thought would prevent it, but do comics with bone White pages show signs of age?

Of course.

Easier to counterfeit b/w comics like Cerebus #1 & TMNT 1 1st prints which originally had small print runs. Ppl didn't know what the true 1st printing looked like so was easier to sell/trade off the forgeries at comicons.

Much more difficult to forge a color comic like Hulk 181. How are u going to match the paperstock of a relatively common 1974 Marvel which collectors know how authentic copies look like?

With email lists & chatboards, if a forgery was dumped on eBay, the comic market would quickly hear about the counterfeit. gossip.gif

Easier to counterfeit b/w comics like Cerebus #1 & TMNT 1 1st prints which originally had small print runs. Ppl didn't know what the true 1st printing looked like so was easier to sell/trade off the forgeries at comicons.

Much more difficult to forge a color comic like Hulk 181. How are u going to match the paperstock of a relatively common 1974 Marvel which collectors know how authentic copies look like?

With email lists & chatboards, if a forgery was dumped on eBay, the comic market would quickly hear about the counterfeit. gossip.gif

I hope you are right. I think it would be very hard, but with some of the prices comics command nowadays I wouldn't put it past someone to try. Over the last couple of years I have spent quite a few thousand dollars on single comics and the thought that some could be counterfeit would really suck. I guess that is another good reason to buy CGC graded stuff if you don't know the seller.

Well,we know that Cerebus 1 was counterfited way before it was worth todays money, so it is absolutely possibe.

I would be mor worried about someone pulling a scam on CGC by either outright faking or by switching contents and/or labels.

Hmmmm....but is it a counterfeit... 27_laughing.gif

No,it is one of many authorized reprints, as far as I can tell.

Of course it's a reprint...but that's my point...a counterfeit doesn't have to be a book that is freshly printed to be an original...it could just as easily be an already printed book doctored to look like the real deal by downgrading said book... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

there were rumors that Dave Sim himself was involved in the counterfeiting of Cerebus #1. But that was never proven. Or that it was the printer who had access to the plates/film who did it. That makes some sense tho, because , IMO the biggest impediment to counterfeiting comics (as opposed to baseball cards) is the complexity. Comics are 32 pages of 4-color printing PLUS a cover. Cards are just a sheet of cardboard printed on both sides. So I dont think its too big a danger because its just too big a job... However at $4000 a book, Hulk #181 might be worth the trouble! You wouldnt need to sell that many to cover your costs...