• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Updated Site

490 posts in this topic

I'm not saying that at all. Reasonable and measured criticism/feedback should be expected. However, it seems like a lot of folks have gone off the deep end.

I haven't seen any murders or threats. Not even veiled Crrap.

Feedback was given. In fact, one could say the amount of feedback given was overwhelming. Many focus groups would love to get this much feedback.

I can not see my pm's option in the "my stuff" drop down menu. Help!

Even if it's behind the "Comics General" box, if you hover over it and click you can get to your PMs.

That doesn't work for me....

And the official response is a glib "people should upgrade their software" from the computer or IT people or whatever they call themselves that "run" this board....

Feedback was given. In fact, one could say the amount of feedback given was overwhelming. Many focus groups would love to get this much feedback.

Do you think CGC is sitting around hitting the refresh button every 3 seconds eagerly awaiting our feedback?

Do you really think anyone at CGC is going to lose a second sleep tonite because some people on the the message board "playground" don't like a few changes?

I know I wouldn't.

I can not see my pm's option in the "my stuff" drop down menu. Help!

Even if it's behind the "Comics General" box, if you hover over it and click you can get to your PMs.

That doesn't work for me....

And the official response is a glib "people should upgrade their software" from the computer or IT people or whatever they call themselves that "run" this board....

The forum drop down menu excludes you from seeing the link.

It does for me as well.

Fortunately I've been received a couple of "attaboy" PM's from people and once the flashing mail icon appeared I was able to get inside.

If you like I can PM you.

[

I for sure thought the format changed sucked last night, but it seriously hurt my eyes. There seem to be some decent upgrades on functions that should take only a short time to get used to, even for an old/resists change fart like me. The drastic change of "comfort" of the site was most striking for me.

On that note, is this the final font format?

not calling you a liar or nothing, but they're pretty blatant on my monitor.

Pretty BLATANT? I see very light brown-gray to slightly darker brown-gray, and I can't imagine the type of bizarro monitor that would display those two colors as BLATANTLY different.

settle down, Beavis. here's what i see. two distinctly and readily visible colours for read and unread threads. not sure why i am doing this because i doubt it will show up any differently as a gif, but what the hey

41040-blatant.gif.984794ec77d6a59edadc2dddeea94bd5.gif

Do you think CGC is sitting around hitting the refresh button every 3 seconds eagerly awaiting our feedback?

NO

Do you really think anyone at CGC is going to lose a second sleep tonite because some people on the the message board "playground" don't like a few changes?

I know I wouldn't.

Why would I think that? Why would I assume Arch gives a flying flip about what I think? You obviously have never read his numerous responses to things I say. I'm surprised I don't get a call on election day just so it can best be determined how to counter it.

I still like the guy....but I am under no assumptions.

I know I wouldn't.

Then that is a sign of a bunch of people who don';t give a damn of what message board their running, but I will pass this because CGC is a company, not a forum only.

If you run a forum, and forum only, your duty is to make your members as happy as you can to keep them coming back, CGC's boards are only a discussion place because their a grading company, which is infact diffrent, but they should still try, but the diffrence is, anyone can leave the boards, but CGC will still get buisness because they are a grading company.

So in a way you have a point, but if this was just a forum and forum only, then yeah, the admins had better listen to the members,

But anyway Arch anmdthem have been trying, so that is what counts

I still don't get this sort of "shut up and take it" mentality.

I'm not saying that at all. Reasonable and measured criticism/feedback should be expected. However, it seems like a lot of folks have gone off the deep end.

Specifically in regard to the ads, it's really not a big deal. Go to any news, entertainment or sports site and you will encounter flash ads, scrolling ads and pop ups galore. Are a few static banner ads really that bad?

In regard to the notion that there are a lot of "free" websites out there...

Yes there are. And anyone is free to go to those other websites anytime they want. No one is keeping anyone here. If the ads and everything else are so horrible, let people put their money where their mouths are and walk away.

I have a stack of BA 9.8s that says they will be back. :grin:

Steve,

I think there's definately some frustration leaking out in some of the criticisms (mine included), but I think it's because we really do like this place and the people we've come to know here, and are now faced with some changes that make these boards less appealing and are left wondering why some of these changes ere made.

Would you really want a mass exodus of forumites to another board? I wouldn't, and I think the friendships that have formed here is the driving force that will keep people here in spite of these changes to the site. This does however, create a mass bittching session, because we really don't want to leave.

Now, most importantly, what is it exactly I have to do for that stack of BA 9.8s?

Specifically in regard to the ads, it's really not a big deal. Go to any news, entertainment or sports site and you will encounter flash ads, scrolling ads and pop ups galore. Are a few static banner ads really that bad?

No, they are not, especially when running Firefox with add blocker.

Steve,

I think there's definately some frustration leaking out in some of the criticisms (mine included), but I think it's because we really do like this place and the people we've come to know here, and are now faced with some changes that make these boards less appealing and are left wondering why some of these changes ere made.

Would you really want a mass exodus of forumites to another board? I wouldn't, and I think the friendships that have formed here is the driving force that will keep people here in spite of these changes to the site. This does however, create a mass bittching session, because we really don't want to leave.

Well said. 893applaud-thumb.gif

what i see. two distinctly and readily visible colours for read and unread threads.

This is slightly darker than mine Butthead, an effect I could probably duplicate by hacking the color values, but I need perfect color for work. I'll try it on my cheapo 19" Benq on the kid's PC tonight to see what it displays, but either way:

1) It is MUCH lighter than the previous color scheme.

2) It is hass-backwards from standard design, where the read threads are darker and more prominent than the unread ones.

what i see. two distinctly and readily visible colours for read and unread threads.

This is slightly darker than mine Butthead, an effect I could probably duplicate by hacking the color values, but I need perfect color for work. I'll try it on my cheapo 19" Benq on the kid's PC tonight to see what it displays, but either way:

1) It is MUCH lighter than the previous color scheme.

2) It is hass-backwards from standard design, where the read threads are darker and more prominent than the unread ones.

The "new post color effect" needs to be darker and also implemented inside each thread as well, not just on the Topic Page.

Why do the emoticons look so freaky?

:cloud9:(shrug):cloud9:(shrug):cloud9:(shrug)

That is a darn good question.

New board software displays greamlins forcing the size to 15x15.

HTML code:

\(shrug\)

Real size of the graemlins is 26x28.

That's all...

headbang.gif

This is slightly darker than mine Butthead

lol well played, sir

• Administrator
Yeah, and just cause I pump gas at Hess, I should be sent an invitation to their annual Board meeting, maybe even get a voting seat.

lol

I am a bit surprised at the sense of entitlement around here. Sheesh... you'd think we were paying admission to these boards or something!

My grandpa used to say something about looking a gift horse in the mouth...

I still don't get this sort of "shut up and take it" mentality. Since my last response got no reply's, I'll repost it again:

There's plenty of "Free" websites out there. We all have chosen this one for various reasons and obviously CGC see's this site as beneficial to their business (or they wouldn't bother having it if it wasn't). The volume here is obviously seen as sufficiant enough to attract companies who are now willing to buy banner ads here, so yes, I think CGC should listen to our criticisms and opinions.

I keep getting this feeling like WE are the ones who should always be so grateful, but it's a two way street...one can't exist without the other.

I'd say I'm shooting for something less like "shut up and take it" and more like "provide feedback in a new new way with 50% less drama".

Frankly, if you spoke to each other that way, most of you would probably have strikes right now and/or be spoiling for a fist fight. If I spoke to you guys that way... why I think the top of your heads would blow off. You might never recover from the spike in blood pressure.

Let us collaborate on generating a great posting environment politely without the hyperbole. Group hug?

I'm just glad to see that the forums are as filled with mutual respect and love as they have always been. Thank you all for your patience and your balanced and positive feedback.

That's sarcasm.

;):whistle:

While I understand wholesale changes like this are going to take time to work out all the bugs. I think even you can appreciate what it was like to log onto the boards and see everything changed so drastically

It was shocking. And not in a "hey WOW, this is new.. wow.. Hey..whats this.. ?? Hey... whats that??.. Cool!! I am kinda lost but it sure is fun trying to figure out all this new stuff"

Instead we walked into a half baked version of chat board purgatory. You knew all along this was going to happen and I assume have worked VERY hard to try and make it happen. But this wholesale change caught everyone else completely unawares. You took away the place we called our online home for many years and replaced it with an unfinished house, so of course it was a shock to the system that you were not more upfront about the proposed changes, or asked for input from a select group before going live with this.

We will have to just sit tite and wait for things to work themselves out, and deal with those things we might not like that still remain.

Not trying to be sarcastic.. just honest.

Ze-

Acutally, my opinion is that that's a hysterical mob-think reaction of silly proportions, and that 95% of all of the navigation of this new version is just about the same, with a variety of improvements.

Yikes, I think that is the most defensive, personal thing I have ever seen you post Arch. I was not aware my post was hysterical, silly or reeking of "mob think" I thought I was just offering an opinion as to why people might be reacting the way they were over this recent change.

I will try harder to not be so "hysterical" If you try harder to not take this so personally.

Kenny

Yeah, and just cause I pump gas at Hess, I should be sent an invitation to their annual Board meeting, maybe even get a voting seat.

lol

I am a bit surprised at the sense of entitlement around here. Sheesh... you'd think we were paying admission to these boards or something!

My grandpa used to say something about looking a gift horse in the mouth...

I still don't get this sort of "shut up and take it" mentality. Since my last response got no reply's, I'll repost it again:

There's plenty of "Free" websites out there. We all have chosen this one for various reasons and obviously CGC see's this site as beneficial to their business (or they wouldn't bother having it if it wasn't). The volume here is obviously seen as sufficiant enough to attract companies who are now willing to buy banner ads here, so yes, I think CGC should listen to our criticisms and opinions.

I keep getting this feeling like WE are the ones who should always be so grateful, but it's a two way street...one can't exist without the other.

I'd say I'm shooting for something less like "shut up and take it" and more like "provide feedback in a new new way with 50% less drama".

Frankly, if you spoke to each other that way, most of you would probably have strikes right now and/or be spoiling for a fist fight. If I spoke to you guys that way... why I think the top of your heads would blow off. You might never recover from the spike in blood pressure.

Let us collaborate on generating a great posting environment politely without the hyperbole. Group hug?

Screw you, hippie! :grin:

• Administrator
I'm just glad to see that the forums are as filled with mutual respect and love as they have always been. Thank you all for your patience and your balanced and positive feedback.

That's sarcasm.

;):whistle:

While I understand wholesale changes like this are going to take time to work out all the bugs. I think even you can appreciate what it was like to log onto the boards and see everything changed so drastically

It was shocking. And not in a "hey WOW, this is new.. wow.. Hey..whats this.. ?? Hey... whats that??.. Cool!! I am kinda lost but it sure is fun trying to figure out all this new stuff"

Instead we walked into a half baked version of chat board purgatory. You knew all along this was going to happen and I assume have worked VERY hard to try and make it happen. But this wholesale change caught everyone else completely unawares. You took away the place we called our online home for many years and replaced it with an unfinished house, so of course it was a shock to the system that you were not more upfront about the proposed changes, or asked for input from a select group before going live with this.

We will have to just sit tite and wait for things to work themselves out, and deal with those things we might not like that still remain.

Not trying to be sarcastic.. just honest.

Ze-

Acutally, my opinion is that that's a hysterical mob-think reaction of silly proportions, and that 95% of all of the navigation of this new version is just about the same, with a variety of improvements.

Yikes, I think that is the most defensive, personal thing I have ever seen you post Arch. I was not aware my post was hysterical, silly or reeking of "mob think" I thought I was just offering an opinion as to why people might be reacting the way they were over this recent change.

I will try harder to not be so "hysterical" If you try harder to not take this so personally.

Kenny

Sorry, Kenny. I was referring more to the collective accumulation of interesting feedback, not your post specifically.