• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whiz 17...FINALLY!

27 posts in this topic

hello all...

ok, I have to say, that as many on the boards know, I have been looking for a whiz 17 for over a year now...never seen even one copy for sale...well, I owe a big thank you to Metropolis for coming through for me....that's right, whiz 17 (this elusive little bugger) is in my hands ...

since I started WTB post after WTB post about it, figured it was worthy of a topic to left folks know I snagged it....and, to top it all off, the book was sold with a nice discount off list price (admittedly, not a high demand book, but one I have looked high and low for, in any condition)...

thanks to Metro! and thanks to all the folks that have been on the lookout for me for this issue!

rick

Nice grab Rick but educate me a bit on collecting Captain Marvel stuff because this is all new to me. A lot of this stuff was printed in huge numbers and appears to be readily available but copies of Whiz #1 and the Captain Marvel Adventures #1 (I believe?) with art by Kirby appear to be extremely expensive. What are the top 1-5 issues in terms of rarity/value where Capt M is showcased?

it is amazing how the removal of a thorn in your side makes you feel all "giddy"...now, the other "thorn" is Funny Stuff 34...also been more than a year looking, and I have never seen one or sale (shive needs one too)

rick

Nice grab Rick but educate me a bit on collecting Captain Marvel stuff because this is all new to me. A lot of this stuff was printed in huge numbers and appears to be readily available but copies of Whiz #1 and the Captain Marvel Adventures #1 (I believe?) with art by Kirby appear to be extremely expensive. What are the top 1-5 issues in terms of rarity/value where Capt M is showcased?

hello all...

I Think the same principle applies to Fawcetts as to DC, etc...all were produced in "huge" numbers by today's standards...and, yes, CM outsold SM for a while there...

whiz 1 in unrestored condition (anything fr/gd or better!) with off white or better pages is just down right rare...and issue #2 is tough too...

same with CMA 1 (weak paper on cover, always restored it seems...Ivanko's and mine are both restored...though his is a lot nicer!)...

after that, I like to think the war themed covers are the most demand, but not nec the toughest......whiz 2, 5, 10 (unrestored, at least, I have bought 3 raw copies, all had restoration on them), 12, 15 , 17...and I know Win loves the cover on 18...

whiz 154 and 155 rarely come up for sale....

I was hugely fortunate that Brent (quality) and Marnin were able to find me a BEAUT of an unrestored Whiz 1..

gator

For Cap, it would be Whiz #1, Special Edition Comics #1, and Captain Marvel Adventures #1. Special Edition isn't too rare per say, but is the first book with Cap as the only story, and predates CMA.

His story has some notable appearances, like CMA #22 (1st Mr. Mind and first issue of a 24 issue serial that ran in conjunction with radio stories), and some by other supporting family:

CMA #18 is the 1st Mary Marvel

Whiz #25 is the 1st Captain Marvel Jr.

Marvel Family #1 is the 1st Black Adam.

Like Rick said, issues 154 and 155 don't come up too often.

There are smaller appearances and happenings throughout, and they are listed well in the OSPG.

Glad we could be of assistance Rick! Fawcetts are awesome- I collect them myself. I really like Capt. Marvel Jr. a lot. The Mac Raboy covers are really classic! Cool thing in case you didn't know Elvis based his hair style on Capt. Marvel Jr. (thank you very much!) and he dyed his hair black to be like his hollywood idol Tony Curtis....

I remember when I purchased the non-Fawcett part of the Crowley collection I saw the Fawcetts and was blown away. Years later when they finally surfaced I ended up buying some of the really cool later covers - Capt Marvel Jr. #115 with JR. punching the eyeballs out of a monster's head and #119 the electrocution cover... cool stuff.... both were really high grade CGC copies buried in my collection somewhere....

If you want to see a lot of cool Fawcett covers you should get a set of GA Gerber Photo Journals- they are awesome reference books and will open your mind to collecting Fawcetts. I would also recommend Mary Marvels, Marvel Family is very popular and Master. Keep on Collectin'!

Have a great weekend-

Vincent

hello all...

ok, I have to say, that as many on the boards know, I have been looking for a whiz 17 for over a year now...never seen even one copy for sale...well, I owe a big thank you to Metropolis for coming through for me....that's right, whiz 17 (this elusive little bugger) is in my hands ...

since I started WTB post after WTB post about it, figured it was worthy of a topic to left folks know I snagged it....and, to top it all off, the book was sold with a nice discount off list price (admittedly, not a high demand book, but one I have looked high and low for, in any condition)...

thanks to Metro! and thanks to all the folks that have been on the lookout for me for this issue!

rick

That's great Rick!! I am happy that you found it, and happy that it eluded you for so long! Since you typically put a run together over the weekend, it is nice to see you yearn for something for a while. Makes savoring the conquest all that much more satisfying!!

That's great Rick!! I am happy that you found it, and happy that it eluded you for so long! Since you typically put a run together over the weekend, it is nice to see you yearn for something for a while. Makes savoring the conquest all that much more satisfying!!

(thumbs up

gator

I echo Bill's sentiments... and Congrats on ending the chase!!!

thanks guys....

bill will tell you, I do love to get my comics and get them fast...never did I anticipate this book eluding me for so long, but yes, the wait has made this perhaps my favorite of all my recent purchases!...

maybe I will slow down for a while :) (translation: I am out of money!)

gator

thanks guys....

bill will tell you, I do love to get my comics and get them fast...never did I anticipate this book eluding me for so long, but yes, the wait has made this perhaps my favorite of all my recent purchases!...

gator

:applause: Congrats! That part of the fun, is the hunt. What's the next book you are searching for? If you don't have one you can always help me in the search for a GI Combat #9 :baiting:

thanks guys....

gator

:applause: Congrats! That part of the fun, is the hunt. What's the next book you are searching for? If you don't have one you can always help me in the search for a GI Combat #9 :baiting:

Funny Stuff 34 now becomes the book that has eluded me the longest!....that is at about 1 year too!...

I am on the GIC 9 for you troop!

gator

thanks guys....

gator

Cool beans, I'll keep an eye out for that Funny Stuff 34. Team effort!