• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Catwoman Movie

14 posts in this topic

Anyone think the Catwoman movie will flush any money out for high grade Catwoman #1 CGC's...(1993 series,9.4 and up)...The book is pretty much worthless now,...but come next summer??...what you think??...stranger things have happened.

J.D.

There's hardly ever any crossover in interest between a comic-related film and the actual comics anyway, and this one is bound to have far less. The movie will not in any way reference or be connected to the Batman mythos or any of the Catwoman incarnations that would be recognizable in the comics, so it will be very tough to draw any parallels. All buzz indicates this movie might be "Catwoman" in name only.

There's hardly ever any crossover in interest between a comic-related film and the actual comics anyway, and this one is bound to have far less.

I haven't found this to be the case with the comics I buy. Prior to and shortly after the original X-Men film, the Spider-Man film, and the Daredevil film, prices for those comics went through the roof. A few months after those films ended, the prices mostly came back to normal.

After the X-Men movie came out in mid-2000, the rise in prices from the 2000 to the 2001 Overstreet guides for X-Men comics was rather steep...most issues went up 30% to 40%. I made a three-weekend set of trips to almost every comic store in the state of Virginia in late 2000 to complete an X-Men run. Out of the 40 to 45 stores I went to, quite a few of them told me that they had sold out of their Silver Age X-Men comics either shortly before or shortly after the film.

I guess once again I failed to define the parameters of what I was saying. I thought originally that the point of the first comment was about people going to the movie and then getting interested in shopping for comics related to the characters they had just seen. Since I never indulge in the market myself all that much - burned out on back issues *many* years ago - it didn't occur to me until after I posted that I was responding based on an incorrect assumption.

I have quite a track record for saying something before thinking too much. Good to know I still have the knack smile.gif.

But if you're talking non-comic reading moviegoers, then I stand by my statement. Which we weren't talking about. So I had no reason to say anything. Again.

Sigh.

ah, don't beat yourself up! Talking to comic shop owners i am close with, there is definately some pull into shops from new people who see the movies. some stick around, some only buy new books, some old & some walk out terrified of what they saw. There is definately some impact. I would agree most is from people who already collect comics though who look to other areas they may have missed.

IBut if you're talking non-comic reading moviegoers, then I stand by my statement.

I knew what you were talking about with the "cross-over" comment and agree, Pre-movie price increases are just one spec selling to another until the music stops.

Well, I don't really care if the comic gets " Hot " . I just want to see the "Hottie " playing her !!

You know, a guy should really try to get laid more often... Opps , wrong thread !! This last statement belongs in the getting laid thread. Where did that go ??

grin.gifgrin.gif