• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Board... Anything anyone likes so far?
2 2

298 posts in this topic

When something comfortable, familiar and enjoyable undergoes change(s) its difficult not to feel disconnected and out of place (and a little angry too) initially. The "If its not broke, don't fix it" motto comes to mind, but you can only take that so far... or nothing will ever improve and no innovation will be developed.

CCG's attempt to improve the board's functionality and tools for the users is certainly a positive effort intended to make the place better for us all. Its clearly not a overwhelming success (so far) judging from what I've read and some of my own dislikes too. That said, let's keep in mind that its a "work in progress" and the goal IS to improve the playground we enjoy.

I feel Arch has earned our respect, has demonstrated that he has an open mind to feedback, and is also very capable at his profession. I think we could as a whole muster up a little more patience and support.

So, as he and possibly others tinker with code, fine tune, evaluate constructive feedback and work (perhaps thanklessly) behind the scenes, I figured I'd offer some "kudos" to the features I DO like thus far:

1. I really like the new menu bar (and will even more so when all thin kinks are worked out) that allows me to make a myriad of adjustments quicker and easier than previously. There are also more options to further enhance our individual communication preferences and styles.

2. Sorta like the "sleep/awake" online-offline graemlin in everyone's Avatar area.

3. LOVE the new PM system that "builds" upon conversations like a thread rather than individual jabs that were previously a nightmare in comparison. Before, after some time had passed, it was not so easy for me to pick up on a interrupted/in-limbo conversation and continue seamlessly. I had to go back and open PMs, review them, possibly copy text to quote for my next comment... so the other party knows what the *knife* I was talking about. (For those with a steel trap memory I suppose this is no big deal). The old way of manually adding a quote from the previous PM to just keep track of what was said was laborious and a pain in the *spork*. It forced me to save a ton of emails just to be in the position of keeping track if need be. This was especially necessary (for me) to stay up to speed with developing deals. Now, instead of opening and "checking" individual PMs before "cleaning up/deleting" them... I can peruse the whole conversation in a flash and quickly and easily decide if I want to save or keep, not to mention quickly reference the content for other reasons. This task used to take up a fair amount of my time in the past... and as my luck would have it... I often deleted the most relevant post in the conversation.

Well, that's my 20¢™... just wanted to let Arch and the people behind the scenes know that there is some appreciation out here for the effort.... and some of the changes thus far are indeed positive and/or an improvement in my view.

Keep working on the aesthetics though... and thanks again for the effort.

(thumbs up

Edited by BronzeBruce13

I completely agree with you about the new PM system. It's much easier, faster, and just plain better to be able to breeze through the whole conversation in one place.

Another thing that I've found to be quite nice is the "Preview Reply" feature that loads right on the same page as the edit box. With the old system, the preview would be displayed on a second page that you would have to wait for. Now you can just tap that preview button for a quick idea of what it's going to look like, then keep on typing your post without leaving the edit box.

True 'dat on the "Preview Reply"... its nice

I completely agree with you about the new PM system. It's much easier, faster, and just plain better to be able to breeze through the whole conversation in one place.

Another thing that I've found to be quite nice is the "Preview Reply" feature that loads right on the same page as the edit box. With the old system, the preview would be displayed on a second page that you would have to wait for. Now you can just tap that preview button for a quick idea of what it's going to look like, then keep on typing your post without leaving the edit box.

The PMs (in the future) might be a bit better, but EVERYTHING else is much worse.

Horrible color scheme, minimal color gradient difference between read/unread posts, non-existent thread sorting, scrunched emoticons, terrible emoticons, no link to the "replied to" post, IE6 bugs, among many, many others.

I am sure there are some features that are indeed improved from the past boards, but overall I really do remain unhappy with the changes in toto. :(

I should also add that I think it would have made far more sense to have unveiled the site once it was more completed rather than correcting piece-mail problems. Additionally, given the significant changes it probably would have behooved CGC to have afforded some users a beta-site to play with in order to receive feedback pre-unveiling (unless that was done and I am unaware of it).

Time will tell.

It loads a lot faster than the previous incarnation. I know in this day and age when the difference between fast and slow is only 2-3 seconds it may be a moot point.

But the (old) boards had become one of the slowest loading sites I visited on a regular basis

It loads a lot faster than the previous incarnation. I know in this day and age when the difference between fast and slow is only 2-3 seconds it may be a moot point.

Sure, but that's likely due to the upgraded hardware and clean install, as I've rarely seen a new software revision that actually runs faster on the same hardware base.

Edited by joe_collector

I feel Arch has earned our respect, has demonstrated that he has an open mind to feedback, and is also very capable at his profession. I think we could as a whole muster up a little more patience and support.

I couldn't agree more. Hang in there, Arch! We know you'll make everything A-Okay!!!

dmpmoses.jpg

Sure, but that's likely due to the upgraded hardware and clean install, as I've rarely seen a new software revision that actually runs faster on the same hardware base.

You also forgot to mention it could also be because a lot less members are online now, due to the shock of having to navigate through unknown waters :crazy:

But seriously, yes clean install and hardware upgrade are prolly the main reason, but they did come with the new look, so I'm putting it all in one pot here and maybe coming down with a case of Pollyannaism ;)

But seriously, yes clean install and hardware upgrade are prolly the main reason, but they did come with the new look

But they didn't have to, and could you imagine the older software, cleanly installed and on the new hardware base - smoking!

I really hate change just because a new software revision is available.

I agree with some of this... I guess I'm working from the position that if a significant amount of constructive feedback suggests that the color scheme is not favorable... an adjustment could be made. I'm not thrilled with the color...kinda drab, not energetic. Someone that understands color psychology and how that impacts mood and personality could potentially lend some useful insight.

The PMs (in the future) might be a bit better, but EVERYTHING else is much worse.

Horrible color scheme, minimal color gradient difference between read/unread posts, non-existent thread sorting, scrunched emoticons, terrible emoticons, no link to the "replied to" post, IE6 bugs, among many, many others.

You also forgot to mention it could also be because a lot less members are online now

Speaking of that, how do we figure out how many Registered and Unregistered users are on the forums?

Someone that understands color psychology and how that impacts mood and personality could potentially lend some useful insight.

I'm not versed on this subject, but I can imagine that a TURD colored forum scheme is not going to put anyone in a good mood.

If I don't have any new PM's which prompts the little flashing envelope at the top to click on...how in the hell do I get to my old PM's to read them?

I've searched every frigging link on this new "improved" forum and haven't been able to find them yet.

Edit: Sorry, Bruce...this was supposed to be a positive thread. On the positive side...I DO like the threaded PM's so you can follow the conversation.

I'm not suggesting its not OK to comment or even complain.

I guess its more "how you offer the feedback/dislikes" that may make a difference in the end result. If you feel strongly that something could be better, or was better a different (old) way... let it be known and why. I just think we can get further and end up with something the majority likes by working with Arch constructively. I believe he and the other decision-makers in this endeavor want the changes to be functionally better, more flexible... as well as "accepted". I'm sure they could find better things to do with their time than tweak a message board that was functioning well if they weren't really trying to make it better for us.

Hopefully on the issues/changes that the majority clearly don't care for they will do their best to find a happy medium or even revert a couple of things. It's probably fair (on some of the issues) to give them a fair shot, get used to and comfortable using them before deciding if they suck. Sometime a little time and usage can change your perspective a great deal. Some times not.

I like it.. and I didn't make one comment or complain after the conversion...it is what it is.. we all get used to things...

I did get a good chuckle from watching people complain, then 6 hours later say something positive... it's human nature...

Another thing, the "Active Topics" feature doesn't seem to work right, and shows topics for the ENTIRE forum, rather than the area you are currently in. If I wanted to get into coins, I'd have a lobotomy and start shuffling through my loose change.

I've never seen it work this way on other forums, and it's either an incorrect setting or a UBB bug.

No problem.

Go to My Stuff... My Messages and there are your old PMs

If I don't have any new PM's which prompts the little flashing envelope at the top to click on...how in the hell do I get to my old PM's to read them?

I've searched every frigging link on this new "improved" forum and haven't been able to find them yet.

Edit: Sorry, Bruce...this was supposed to be a positive thread. On the positive side...I DO like the threaded PM's so you can follow the conversation.

I did get a good chuckle from watching people complain, then 6 hours later say something positive... it's human nature...

Were you even HERE when the new forums opened up? Arch was toying with the settings and colors, and there were some really freakass things happening, eye-wracking color schemes, etc. which elicited the negative comments. Then Arch toned some other stuff up, hence the positive comments.

It's similar to having your house remodeled, and nothing working when you open the door. Suddenly you're cheering when they get the toilets working and turn on the hot water. It's not that you are happy, but that anything would be an improvement.

And some bozo walking in AFTER it's mostly fixed up and telling the family they were "all over-reacting" and that it "wasn't that bad" is exactly what you're doing.

No problem.

Go to My Stuff... My Messages and there are your old PMs

Thanks, Bruce. Greggy actually helped me out via PM. doh!

The problem is that the "MY Messages" tab isn't viewable. The "Select another forum" drop down box covers this tab up for some reason and blocks all but a very top sliver of the button I have to press. doh! doh! doh!