• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does a stain/discoloration that goes through onto a few pages hurts?

17 posts in this topic

Does a stain/discoloration that goes through onto a few pages really hurt the grade of the comic?.. I have a comic that has a circle like stain type thing on the back cover that goes threw onto a few pages.. (like 5 pages) I dunno what it is.. it isnt water or anything cause the book is completely flat.. maybe an oil or something (the comic is from the early 70s) any info on what it could be AND if it kills the grade would be great! thanks a lot!

Every dealer / collector I know will take a book with water damage and hammer the grade. No way around it. Start at a VG and start grading from there. Only time books with water will sell really well is if they are big time key issues from the GA/SA.

Well... waviness is a good indicator of potential moisture (i.e. humidity). Water, however, is pronounced-- you'll see rounded, wavy lines on the paper, often accompanied by discoloration. Here's a good example:

ASM77-BACK.jpg

Look along the leftside edge and you'll see a handful of water marks. Further, if you look along the "Business Reply Mail," you'll see another large water mark. There's rippling accompanying water marking, discoloration, etc. If what you have looks like this, then you're looking at water damage.

thats nothing like what I am looking at.. what Im looking at is like a vert small fant/light circle then a ring around it even lighter) that goes through onto about 5 pages.. on the bottom of the back cover of the book..the back cover itself is completely flat and stright, the pages are fine as well.. what can that be? an oil mark from the aging of the paper? and if thats so.. can that leak through onto multi pages of the comic? and does that hurt the grade much?

thanls a lot for all the help!

Yeah, I was just trying to give you some easy to identify examples of stains. If it looks something like what you're seeing, then you've got yourself a stain.

And as Divad has pointed out, doesn't matter about the size, a stain is a stain. And it pretty much locks you into a 4.0 or lower. Sorry dude. No getting around this one.

thanks a lot for all the help guys!... so only a stain would go through pages im guessing right? (it goes from the back cover inward about 5 pages.. getting lighter and lighter... it is very light to begin with and very flat no wrinkles or anything... so thats not aging?.. How would i know for sure if it is a stain or not.. I wish i had a scanner to show you guys!...

lol, stains don't always have to go through the cover-- depends on how much liquid was present, how long it was on there, and what sort of liquid it was. I'd put hard money on your defect being some form of staining from SOME form of liquid. It just doesn't make sense that a book would have a small discoloration mark that bled through multiple pages and NOT having resulted from contact with water/coffee/oil/etc. The one difference between oil and all of the other liquid stains that I've found, however, is there is more smearing involved.

If you don't have a scanner, and still aren't sure, bring it in to your LCS. Most are willing to help new collectors in the skills of the trade- i.e. grading. Hell, I'll bring in a high value acquisition now and then just for a second opinion.

Here's a general rule of thumb to follow:

A stain is a stain is a stain. sumo.gif

Doesn't matter if it's water, oil, fingerprints or chocolate ice cream. makepoint.gif

That brings up a good point David, when downgrading for stains/spots... should the type of stain matter if the damage to the book is similar? I think so.

I would much rather a book have bad water spots as opposed to oil or icy cream due to the different properties of each stain.

Because every stain/spot is not created equal, nor damages the paper equally either.

Kenny

Doesn't matter if it's water, oil, fingerprints or chocolate ice cream. makepoint.gif

That brings up a good point David, when downgrading for stains/spots... should the type of stain matter if the damage to the book is similar? I think so.

I would much rather a book have bad water spots as opposed to oil or icy cream due to the different properties of each stain.

Because every stain/spot is not created equal, nor damages the paper equally either.

Kenny

Sez you. sumo.gif

And, source is irrelevant (unless you're going to try to remove it) poke2.gif

hi.gif

Kenny

Sez you. sumo.gif

And, source is irrelevant (unless you're going to try to remove it) poke2.gif

hi.gif

Au contraire..the source is relevant, even if you are not going to try and remove it.

If a book is damaged by water, once dried the water will not continue to damage the book. Oil on the other hand, or other invasive materials that come into contact with the paper enough to stain it might creep or migrate further into the book.

So I sez... it does matter when downgrading for it.

*insert poking with a stick graemlin*

Ze-

All stains are obviously bad but clearly some sort of oil stain is worse. We've all seen light water damage that leaves a light tidal mark but right now I've evaluating a Silver Surfer 4 for purchase with a huge DARK oil-type stain on the back cover that looks horrible. Maybe the comic was fondued?

SpiderJay300, I've seen exactly what you describe on a few books myself, and I would guess that it's some form of foxing or other mold/mildew damage.

The examples I've seen have light brownish discoloration (usually closer to the edges of the front or back cover) that goes a few pages into the book. The areas of discoloration get lighter (turning a light yellow) and smaller with each page they're on.

I agree with all the other folks on this topic, and think that any kind of discoloration or stains would hurt a book's grade.

Hmm, a fondued book? Would be an interesting way to get some fiber in your diet... lol