• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to ship art to Canada?

14 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I have a deal to buy my first three pieces of art :grin: ... but... I'm scared of the customs guys. I collect sealed video games and in the past I've had the customs dudes open up packages with their boxcutters in a really careless fashion and slice up game boxes from time to time. I'm deathly scared this will happen with the art.

Does anyone have any suggestions??? Please pretty please?? I've typically noticed that the more expensive the purchase the more they seem to scrutinize it and open it up with their boxcutters, and for me this is definitely an expensive purchase so that would be a nightmare scenario.

Can any Canadians or other non-Americans buying art from the states give some words of wisdom? Or Americans that have shipped to Canada a lot??

thanks so much. (worship)

Package it so that the obvious way it can be opened is on the edges and place the art well away from the edges. If you encase the art inbetween a couple of sheets of cardboard within the package you should be able to avoid any dopes from cutting at the middle of the package.

I have got several pieces of OA from the US and all package were packed in similar such manners and none were ever opened at the border. Of course that does not mean it doesn't happen so you just have to take logical measures, such as the packaging that I suggested, and labelling the package to ensure handlers know how not to damage the enclosed art.

HTH

thank you. that's kind of what I was thinking but I'm still scared less. Anyone else have any words of advice?

Have the vendor in USA clearly declare the value of the comic book artwork on the FRONT of the parcel. Less reason to slice up the package looking for an invoice inside. Also, customs agent may read the description fast and assess u just the gst (on the comic BOOK) instead of the gst and pst of 13% taxes.

Have them use masonite instead of cardboard. Impossible to cut through so they have to use the edges.

Agreed.

Masonite will make the package heavier - which will equate to higher shipping rates - but if you want to safeguard the art, best not to cut corners.

Fingers crossed for you . . .

When shipping internationally the sender much fill out a customs document. This lists the contents and value.

To handle your shipping situation:

Easiest and cheapest way: declare a value under $20 and call the item 'poster art'.

The problem with this situation: you cannot insure the package, as listed value and the insured value must match. You will pay GST and a brokerage fee for a package over $50, they sometimes wave a brokerage fee on values $20 to $50, and they won't bother with packages under $20. Also, some people seem to think they are breaking the law when they fill out a brokerage form listing a low, low value. They reason, 'it says on the form that it is a federal offense to list an incorrect value'. Of course, this is OA. This stuff has a value that is all over the place. What I consider a piece worth $10,000, you might consider worth $400. So while YOU the shipper thought the value was $X, I the OWNER consider the value $20. It's one of a kind. It's worth what the OWNER says it is worth.

The Easiest and most expensive way: declare and insure the value for what you paid for it. Expect to pay COD for the brokerage and GST.

Heck, I've had a ton of packages lately that were declared at $200 and they have been coming back undinged in customs charges.

I agree though with having packages listed at $20-25. They get through customs a lot quicker and with less hassle. Most Americans just send my artwork shipped in between 2 pieces of heavy cardboard and I have yet to have a problem occur.

As a matter of fact with something so thin, I don't think customs has ever opened up artwork on me...I guess there really is nowhere to hide any sort of weapon or contraband :)

Jim

I've also had some good luck (*knock on wood*) with packages arriving undamaged.

Most seem to arrive in heavy cardboard, with artwork never being near the edges of the package. I do prefer masonite and have no problem paying the extra for shipping the artwork since I've never heard of a masonite package being bent!

thanks everybody for all the great advice! I really appreciate it. I'll post pictures from my first art day a little later if it all works out.

Dan

I've got the same problem. Never shipped OA or anything to canada before. What is better to use USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc.??

I'm a big fan of the good, old Postal Service. Takes a bit longer, but it's MUCH cheaper. Once it hits the border they are the least expensive when it comes to fees.

Next would be FedEx. The service is expensive but I'd trust them over UPS.

UPS are bandits when it comes to brokerage and fees, plus my perception is that their lost/damage rate is high, though they claim otherwise.

I personally won't buy anything if it can't be shipped by regular USPS. The surprise brokerage fees from the couriers are crazy. As for the artwork I've never had anything damaged coming to me and I've got maybe 20 pages just in thick cardboard and a few in masonite and they've all been ok.

Someone really caught onto something good on the last page I received the box where you have to check whether it's a document, merchandise, gift or sample, they marked it as a document with 0 value. I thought that was awesome.

I've never had a page opened by customs however when I used to collect coin-op video games, I used to get boxes of parts opened fairly regularly.

Also I find that on expensive pages that are clearly marked merchandise, about 1/3 are caught for taxes ahile 2/3 aren't. I'm not complaining by any means.