• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about Marvel overhang...

7 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I am curious: I have noticed a couple of books in the Marketplace that are for sale, they have the typical Marvel overhang for the era. The thing is; the book in particular is not ripped, but it obviously doesn't look "sharp". The top edge is messed up from the overhang... folded over and creased.

Now, I am not trying to put anyone's grading skills down, I am merely trying to find out if this doesn't affect the grade as it would on a newer book. The poster has it listed as a 9.4. I would not have givien it a grade such as this. However, I wouldn't have given it that grade because I was under the assumption that regardless of "Marvel overhang", a defect, is a defect.

I am asking because I have MANY otherwise HG Marvels from the same era, I'd like to know what the story is on this. I have some books that are otherwise 9.4+, but due to the overhang wear, wouldn't have given over an 8. confused-smiley-013.gif

Any comments would be appreciated. Again, I am not trying to call anyone's grading into question, merely inquisitive on the subject.

Thanks!

John thumbsup2.gif

Wow, no responses??? What gives?

You need to post scans. It's hard for people to give their opinions if they can't see the books. I do know that CGC will not slab a book with a overhang.

If Wrightson fan says it's a 9.4 . . . trust me, it's a 9.4 sumo.gif

There we go! No scans needed ;)

I just thought that a book with a top edge like that could never get the grade that was assigned to it. Hence the reason for this post. I guess I was wrong...

Again, I was never calling anyone's grading skills into question, merely trying to improve mine! :confused:

Thanks guys!

John thumbsup2.gif

I figured it was Wrightsons books you were talking about, and I think it worth noting he did qualify one of the 9.4 overhang books as having "9.4 structure". Personally I would downgrade it to 9.2 if it does not break color but that's me. And is probably a personal thing on how people downgrade for it, if it is clean.

And as Divad said.. WF has seen enough HG books to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Ze-

I figured it was Wrightsons books you were talking about, and I think it worth noting he did qualify one of the 9.4 overhang books as having "9.4 structure". Personally I would downgrade it to 9.2 if it does not break color but that's me. And is probably a personal thing on how people downgrade for it, if it is clean.

And as Divad said.. WF has seen enough HG books to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Ze-

I'd agree with you and the thought that WF knows what he is doing. I never doubted it :) I also agree that the books look very crisp, except for the overhang. I guess it is all a matter of opinion. I really do wish that there were a "standard" published and that everyone would follow it!

I like to learn new things... and for me, this is new! After coming back to the hobby after a 10 year hiatus, a lot of things had changed! I am still trying to adjust after 2 years... I don't mind though.

Again, thanks guys :)

John thumbsup2.gif