• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

did anyone else do this?

30 posts in this topic

ok i was just reading pov's restoration info and it gave me a flashback to my early teen years (1983-85). I would take a current book off of the stands and see if i could accurately age it (Sort of reverse restoration!) I would be like a mad scientist working all sorts of tortures to the books and judging the results. I clearly remember my final experiment...i put an issue of Fantastic Four (With the 25th anniversary border...) in a bag, threw some water in it & left it under my dresser. After forgetting about it, I found it about a month later & almost threw up because it was just a bag full of mold!!! I had to laugh when this memory hit me & wondered if i was the only deranged person doing this.... insane.gif

I know I tried aging various paper-based items via low-level baking in the oven (300 degrees or less)...don't remember specifically doing this with a comic book, though...

I thought a "man witch" was a warlock...?

Yeah, I oven baked books as an experiment. I would cut a book up into several pieces and bake the first piece for a set amount of time, then add the second, wait for another round of time and add the third etc. This would give me a nice broad range. If I had six pieces and every two hours added anoher one I had 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 hour samples of the same book. Wopuld do the same thing placing pieces at intervals in front of a sunny window, on a radiator, etc.

I once tried to remove the gloss from the inside cover of a fake cerebus 1 by putting it in the window of my shop.

Ironicly, the vending machine guy I was fueding with came to remove his machines and spilled hs soda all over it. Experiment was a total success as I banged him out full price for a Nm copy of the real thing.

Nope, but I do remember putting a pile of cereal in a sealed container and leaving it for a few weeks. When I opened it up, it was chock full of swarming larvae, and I took a break from cereal for awhile. 893whatthe.gif

how did bugs get inside the sealed container to lay eggs? confused.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Here's something wild and crazy for you. I used to mow lawns and clean yards for like $1.00/hr. and I would do this every day after school, on weekends and all day during the summer. I'd take my hard earned money to the comic store every week and buy a bunch of comics. When I would would get them home I'd........oh........this is hard to say.............I'd READ THEM!! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Man, I did some pretty crazy [!@#%^&^] as a kid, but that probably takes the cake.

Here's something wild and crazy for you. I used to mow lawns and clean yards for like $1.00/hr. and I would do this every day after school, on weekends and all day during the summer. I'd take my hard earned money to the comic store every week and buy a bunch of comics. When I would would get them home I'd........oh........this is hard to say.............I'd READ THEM!! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Man, I did some pretty crazy [!@#%^&^] as a kid, but that probably takes the cake.

27_laughing.gif That is crazy.....

hahah! I did the same paper baking experiments in my 12 year old minds "Research", i would leave them in a window to see when the colors would start to fade, yellows first, then light blues & reds.....

i think i'll go F with a copy of a newer Uncanny X-men.......

Oh, i also mowed lawns to save up for comics. I remember saving for a month to go buy a Spidey 6 in VG for $20 is 1984 or so. I didn't experiment on that one though....

how did bugs get inside the sealed container to lay eggs? confused.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I wonder. insane.gif

If anyone wants to puke, I'll post a list of the eggs, bugs, human hair and mouse poop that's found (and allowable) in the average cereal. 893whatthe.gif

I'll get my puke graemlins ready... wuerg019.gif

I have a hardcopy somewhere around, but a link is easier:

http://www.newsnet5.com/betchadidntknow/1315835/detail.html

"The federal government has set some guidelines. Pasta is allowed to have 225 insect parts per 225 grams. A jar of peanut butter is allowed to have rodent hairs. In a can of corn, two or more larvae are allowed. And in orange juice, five fly eggs or one maggot per 250 milliliters is OK."

I'll get my puke graemlins ready... wuerg019.gif

I have a hardcopy somewhere around, but a link is easier:

http://www.newsnet5.com/betchadidntknow/1315835/detail.html

"The federal government has set some guidelines. Pasta is allowed to have 225 insect parts per 225 grams. A jar of peanut butter is allowed to have rodent hairs. In a can of corn, two or more larvae are allowed. And in orange juice, five fly eggs or one maggot per 250 milliliters is OK."

As long as I don't see it...It doesn't bother me.

Just like some chef cooking your steak...You know you've had one that marinated in a lugie before.

As long as I didn't see him do it, it just inhances the flavor. insane.gif