• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paper color

18 posts in this topic

The first edition of the Overstreet Grading Guide came with an OWL (Overstreet Whiteness Level) card, but I thought I read something about it not being included in subsequent versions because it wasn't a very accurate source for determining paper color (or something like that).

I came across a website once that had paper color examples, and if I remember the URL I'll update my post with it...

The problem with using printed or online examples for determining paper color is that you're somewhat at the whim of the printer or your monitor, both of which can affect how the paper color examples look.

Yeah, thats the card I was talking about. Johnny G pulls through with the assist! :)

You'll note the numbers on the right-hand side are not in sequential order. You'll also notice that your pages won't exactly match up with what's shown. Not an issue for you're just making notes about your own books, but if you're looking to sell, you will want to specify what range it falls into, i.e. White-Off White page color, Off White-Tan page color, etc. And as always, if you're not sure, round down and not up.

owl.jpg

That lowest level of off-white is really, really off-white. Shouldn't there be "cream" between off-white and tan?

Dennis

I wouldn't place too much importance on this card. The Off White on this card would certainly be labeled Cream by CGC.

owl.jpg

That lowest level of off-white is really, really off-white. Shouldn't there be "cream" between off-white and tan?

Dennis

I wouldn't place too much importance on this card. The Off White on this card would certainly be labeled Cream by CGC.

Ditto, I wouldn't use this card to pick out colors for the living room either . . . lol