• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Press or not to Press

18 posts in this topic

Not really asking for a grade...just wondering if Pressing the following two comics will correct the Spine roll that is getting out of control....Since these are obviously for my own collection, pressing shouldn't be a hot topic here.

ThrillingComics44.jpg

ThrillingComics44back.jpg

Oh, I'm getting them done...will take apparently 4-5 weeks.

You must of not talked to Matt Nelson. I never submit a book to CGC without sending them down to Carrollton. I just sent off 5 books to get pressed, and it only took him a couple of days. From there they were sent to CGC. Still waiting for the package from CGC to arrive. For $5 per book he will tell you whether or not it's worth it. I agree these books could benefit at least a 1/2 point or a point from pressing alone.

**On a side note I want my own hydraulic pressing machine because it serves as an easy way to make money off of comics. :)

Oh, I looked at Nelson's site...Instructions say 4-5 weeks. But I'm getting them pressed because they are probably not slabable in their current state. I'll probably end up sending these two to him next month. Need to look at my other books, I think I have more that could benefit from pressing.

I think you've made a good choice in getting them done!!!

I wholeheartedly agree! BTW...was perusing another thread I believe in the General section and there seemed to be a back-and-forth debate if anything was being added to enhance the pressing, such as a moisture-spray or something (?) Are you talking about a completely dry press and that will take that out? I'd be interested in a reply...THANKS!

But I'm getting them pressed because they are probably not slabable in their current state.

Why on earth would you get these slabbed? Don't get me wrong, I understand the pressing, but low grade is low grade, and they will still be low grade - what would be the point of getting something like these slabbed...., especially if you are keeping them???? :shrug:

If the pressing removes the spine problem, I'm guessing these would grade in maybe near FN or FN-. These cost a bit of money, and slabing them is my insurance that they stay in that condition...now if these were $50 or cheaper you are right, slabing is a waste of money. But I'm talking about $500 or more for the both of them.

If the pressing removes the spine problem, I'm guessing these would grade in maybe near FN or FN-. These cost a bit of money, and slabing them is my insurance that they stay in that condition...now if these were $50 or cheaper you are right, slabing is a waste of money. But I'm talking about $500 or more for the both of them.

Hey PT, I can understand you wanting to try and minimize the spine roll. But if you are intent on keeping them for your own collection I really do not see the need for slabbing them. (sorry CGC) IMHO a fullback and Mylar will do the same job as the innerwell will(if not better) in protecting your books longterm.

Ze-

Not really asking for a grade...just wondering if Pressing the following two comics will correct the Spine roll that is getting out of control....Since these are obviously for my own collection, pressing shouldn't be a hot topic here.

ThrillingComics44.jpg

ThrillingComics44back.jpg

Professional pressing would greatly enhance the visual appeal of these books. The impact to the technical grade would not be as high, but your doing it to preserve the integrity of the books, not as a money scheme so if fixing the spine roll makes you as a collector happy...go for it.