• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking at re-entering the hobby...can anyone help?

23 posts in this topic

It doesn't make sense to me to pay $200 for a F copy when I can get a NM one for $500 . . . .I would make you a bet that the NM will retain value a little better . . . .

DAM

Good luck paying $500 for a NM if the real value of a Fine book is $200.

Right now, the spread on a CGC VF to a CGC NM is around 1/6. This means if a VF copy went for $200, than a NM copy will run about $1,200.

Maybe "raw" you could do that, but most likely the NM wouldn't be a true NM.

I mostly prefer to have a collection filled with a few expensive (for me) books and the rest are nearly worthless books that mean a lot ot me, but would be hard to sell for much in the market...like my Bolland Judge Dredd Eagle reprints, and my Michael Golden cover collection, etc, etc.

I am a condition junkie too, but I can live with 8.0 or better if I have to, but prefer 9.4 or better if I can afford it (and if I can find it!). But there are some very nice books that are in 7.0 and up....buy the book and not the # of course.

So you really just have to know yourself and what will make you happy and give you the most satisfaction. I am continually looking within myself to figure out if I am spending my money the wisest way. My collecting priorities change from time to time, so it's a continual process.