• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying "near mint" comics from milehighcomics

25 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about buying several books from milehighcomics through eBay listed as "near mint". Could anyone share their experiences about buying these "near mint" books and where on the long, CGC, near mint scale they turned out to be? Most of the comics I want to purchase are 5-10 years old. Thanks...

Received wisdom is that on modern drek, you've got a fighting chance of actually receiving NM or close to NM books.

On 70s or earlier books, you might get a NM in a batch somewhere, but the rest could be anywhere between FN and VF+.

I think the lesson here is...bid accordingly. (thumbs u

A little off-topic here, but a local dealer showed me a GD comic purchased from MILE HIGH. You would not believe the shape it is actually in - a chunk of th spine is missing and there is rather large hole running nearly through the entire book!

I'm thinking about buying several books from milehighcomics through eBay listed as "near mint". Could anyone share their experiences about buying these "near mint" books and where on the long, CGC, near mint scale they turned out to be? Most of the comics I want to purchase are 5-10 years old. Thanks...

Don't do it. You've been warned! :(

Don't do it. You've been warned! :(

2c

I use them to fill cheap runs where 9.8 isn't important, other than that no.

I probably got 125 of the conan's I needed in the 100's to 200's for $.75 each from a couple different orders and couldn't have been happier.

On the other hand I ordered some recent moderns I needed and they were horrible.

"NM" in the mile high grading system means anywhere from VF to NM+. yes, there have been instances when someone bought a nm book and sent it in to CGC and it came back a 9.8.

there are also instances of skydivers surviving when their parachutes don't open, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't pull the cord, if you follow me

yeah, I'll join that chorus... if the books you are buying are anything but common, then be especially careful...

I bought a Magnus 64 NM... when it came back there was a 2 1/2" slit on the cover... but not on the bag... someone definitely put that comic in a bag while it was cut-up and then called it NM.

I also bought an Iron Man 1 & 2 from them during a double dip sale or something... the price was good for "NM" books from that era... but both were VF at best. I only ever trust MHC anymore if I'm looking to fill a big run with $1 books or something.

I will say, however, that, with that Magnus, they offered me my money back...

My experience is that their modern "NM" books are close to actual CGC NM, but not quite. Typical flaws would be small indentations, small spine creases, general handling wear, etc. I've only purchased 1 "older" book from them. They graded it as a NM, but it was actually more like a VF/NM. Also please keep in mind that I haven't bought anything from them in 2-3 years, so maybe their grading has changed (hopefully for the better).

someone definitely put that comic in a bag while it was cut-up and then called it NM.

They probably didn't remove it from the bag when they graded it. I think there's a lot of bag grading going on at Mile High.

Bought a "NM/MT" Spidey 11 from them. Received a VF- Spidey 11. Returned it, they submitted it to CGC, and I saw the same book for sale on their site as a CGC 7.5 a few months later.

I buy from Mile High, but only the slabbed ones. Chuck's writings on grading tell me that he can grade, but he obviously doesn't make sure his staff can grade.

Well, I purchased some mid-to-high grades from them (all within the Fine to Very Fine) and I found them to be pretty accurate. That was...back during the Christmas sale, and haven't purchased anything since- prices are about as accurate as the grading on eBay.

"NM" in the mile high grading system means anywhere from VF to NM+. yes, there have been instances when someone bought a nm book and sent it in to CGC and it came back a 9.8.

there are also instances of skydivers surviving when their parachutes don't open, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't pull the cord, if you follow me

:signfunny:

After I SWORE that I would never buy from Mile High Comics again, due to gross overgrading on a DareDevil 43 supposedly in NM that had a rat chew on the side of the book, I reneged. Several board statements were of the effect that, if it is Mile High Bronze age, it'sprobably well graded. So, I took a chance.

There was a Captain America 137 listed in NM, so I bought it. WRONG. It cost me 45 bucks, it's probably only a VF on a good day. REMIND ME NEVER TO BUY FROM MILE HIGH COMICS EVER AGAIN. If they want to put me on their "blocked buyer" list that's ok by me. It would keep the temptation from me. The hassle to return the book, even to get $45 back seems like too much for me. I guess they get a lot of one or two purchase buyers, but there are still a lot of suckers of there for them to fleece.

Bought a "NM/MT" Spidey 11 from them. Received a VF- Spidey 11. Returned it, they submitted it to CGC, and I saw the same book for sale on their site as a CGC 7.5 a few months later.

I buy from Mile High, but only the slabbed ones. Chuck's writings on grading tell me that he can grade, but he obviously doesn't make sure his staff can grade.

Just stick with the slabbed books on sale and forget about the rest. I bought a bunch of NM raw books during a sale a few years back for cheap. They were all FN to FN/VF, except for the FF #55 which came back from CGC as a 7.5.