• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade my select Silver Age era comics? (GL, Batman..)

20 posts in this topic

I've spent considerable amount on having three Silver Age-era comics graded and slabbed through CGC. These are Batman #221, 4.5; Batman #251, 6.0; Avengers #96, 7.0 - all Universal.

Before I spend more money, I'd like your opinion per strict CGC grading standard. I gave each of the comic a fairly accurate guess so that's why I hesitate to send these to CGC.

After posting your grading evaluation, I'll post the grading guesses based on significant flaws that the nitpickiest CGC graders will point out in deduction of points.

Edit: As far as I can tell, all but Avengers 93 have Cream to Off-White pages. Avengers 93 have White pages.

Amazing Adventures issue no. 5

amazingadventures_inhumans5front.jpg

amazingadventures_inhumans5back.jpg

Green Lantern issue no. 63

greenlan63front.jpg

greenlan63back.jpg

Avengers issue no. 93

avengers93front.jpg

avengers93back.jpg

Batman issue no. 400

batman400front.jpg

batman400back.jpg

Batman issue no. 234

batman234front.jpg

batman234back.jpg

Chris is correct imho, those are all some really good examples of the perfect reader copies. Sure they are worth some money, but save your money and only slab books that you think would be worth the effort and money to do so. They will still sell for what they are worth raw, but you will not be out slabbing fees.

Not sure the reason you want to slab your books in the first place but I say keep these types of books raw and just enjoy them.

Ze-

I'm considering submitting only Avengers 93. The rest I might have to sell to reduce the collection.

Your 93 is a FN+ at best, I would not submit any of them if I was you 2c

Target should be 9.0 for books before 1967

BA books target should be 9.4 or a truly sweet 9.2. On more key issues 9.0 will do pretty well.

The GL book, the Avengers, and the Bat-books would all do well at 8.5 or better (8.0 would be pushing it, but the Batbooks would probably still sell pretty quick).

You'd want to hit 9.0 and up for the slab to really make a price impact. The Amazing Adventures, you'd want 9.4 or better.

Obviously particular key issues of Silver Age era listed at above 9.0 are rare enough to command high prices at comic conventions or at auctions (ebay or otherwise).

Not possible to restore the books in eliminating the minor wear & tear, tiny cover corner folds and damages to improve the grading under professional or amateur hand? "Reserved" for Golden Age and early Silver Age that merit utmost care and restoration for CGC, even clocking at 4.0-2.0?

Anything can be restored to some extent. But one must weigh the cost of doing so with the books value after the work is done.

In your case I would just list the books as is , at a fair price.

You have some issues people look for.

Ze-

btw, welcome to the boards.

For example, if you found Superman [edit: Action Comics] #1 under the sofa coach (hypothetically speaking, but I heard the discovery happened in real life) and it's damaged with streaks on front cover and soot on the back next to spine (but the pages intact with cream to off-white pages due to some prolonged exposure of oxygen), it merits investing in professional restoration to reduce unsightly flaws and can still sell for a small fortune even at 2.0-3.0, Purpled?

Edit: thanks for the welcome :)

For example, if you found Superman #1 under the sofa coach (hypothetically speaking, but I heard the discovery happened in real life) and it's damaged with streaks on front cover and soot on the back next to spine (but the pages intact with cream to off-white pages due to some prolonged exposure of oxygen), it merits investing in professional restoration to reduce unsightly flaws and can still sell for a small fortune even at 2.0-3.0, Purpled?

Yes. But Superman #1 will command a premium regardless of condition/resto etc...It's one of the Top 5 books in the hobby.

My initial grading evaluation of the above are as follows -

The Amazing Adventures 5 - 4.5 (VG+)

The Avengers 93 - 7.5 (VF- w/ White pages) - exactly as the sticker label on the polybag said "VF" when originally bought)

Green Lantern 63 - 1.8 (G-) (Significant damage, making it nearly worthless :-p )

Batman 400 - 4.5 (VG+) despite the creaks on front page and soot on back

Batman 234 - middling between 4.0 (VG) to 4.5 (VG+) despite the creaks and rough edge on right bottom of front cover & some soot on back

My initial grading evaluation of the above are as follows -

The Amazing Adventures 5 - 4.5 (VG+)

The Avengers 93 - 7.5 (VF- w/ White pages) - exactly as the sticker label on the polybag said "VF" when originally bought)

Green Lantern 63 - 1.8 (G-) (Significant damage, making it nearly worthless :-p )

Batman 400 - 4.5 (VG+) despite the creaks on front page and soot on back

Batman 234 - middling between 4.0 (VG) to 4.5 (VG+) despite the creaks and rough edge on right bottom of front cover & some soot on back

I'd go a bit lower on the Avengers, but the others look close. Again, don't waste your money grading them.