• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade my ASM 6

35 posts in this topic

Great ol' classic!!! Always loved the Lizard!! (thumbs u I'd say you have a 3.5 (G/VG)

What the fck are you talking about? A 3.5? Hell no! I'm giving it a least a 6.0 maybe a 6.5

I had an Amazing Fantasy #15 that looked like a 7.0 but because the interior pages were torn thru it received a 4.5 so I was basing it on that...granted 3.5 might be harsh...but I would say VG 4.0 with tears thru 8 of the interior pages.

i'm with you on this one dad.

i agree with Aces assessment of 5.0-5.5 before taking the torn pages into account. the real question is what would be deducted for 8 tears of varying lengths. hard to say, but my JIM 83 looked liked an 8.0 and got graded a 6.5 because there was a small chunk out of the margin of one interior page.

i'll stick with my original 4.0-4.5, but at any grade the price is right and the FC presents well............. (thumbs u

Front cover a 6.0, back cover a 4.0. I'd say a solid 5.0 that presents better than that.

I don't think that small interior tear affects this midgrade too much. Yes, if it was a 7.0 or 8.0 and had that defect, it would draw it down...

Great acquisition!

book would probably garner a GLOD if sent in, on account of that tear bringing it down into the 4.0 range, from a 5.5 or so based on the exterior.

it sucks, but interior tears actually do count when you're grading a book, Carolina. (shrug)

book would probably garner a GLOD if sent in, on account of that tear bringing it down into the 4.0 range, from a 5.5 or so based on the exterior.

it sucks, but interior tears actually do count when you're grading a book, Carolina. (shrug)

Tears reduce a grade only until you get down to a grade where tears are "allowed." I just don't think it's a deduction if a 5.0 has an interior tear of this nature.

Actually, I just looked in the Overstreet Grading Guide, and they have a category called "Interior Tears," and it's interesting to see what is allowed in each grade. To my surprise, some form of interior tears are allowed all the way up to 9.8!

The guide has all different ways of categorizing interior tears, from "slightest tears allowed" at 9.8, to "minor tears in margins" starting at 8.0, to "minor tears" starting at 5.5, and to "minor to moderate tears" at 4.0.

Of course I don't know exactly what these phrases mean, but it seems clear that some tearing is allowed, and even expected, in most comics. I suppose CGC has some more specific criteria?

The tear in this book looks like it's about an inch, and according to the description it gets smaller with each page. If I bought a book that looked 5.0, and it had that tear inside, I wouldn't be upset.

Sal, this is not a Green Label candidate whatsoever . . . guess again :baiting:

Tears reduce a grade only until you get down to a grade where tears are "allowed." I just don't think it's a deduction if a 5.0 has an interior tear of this nature.

Actually, I just looked in the Overstreet Grading Guide, and they have a category called "Interior Tears," and it's interesting to see what is allowed in each grade. To my surprise, some form of interior tears are allowed all the way up to 9.8!

The guide has all different ways of categorizing interior tears, from "slightest tears allowed" at 9.8, to "minor tears in margins" starting at 8.0, to "minor tears" starting at 5.5, and to "minor to moderate tears" at 4.0.

Of course I don't know exactly what these phrases mean, but it seems clear that some tearing is allowed, and even expected, in most comics. I suppose CGC has some more specific criteria?

The tear in this book looks like it's about an inch, and according to the description it gets smaller with each page. If I bought a book that looked 5.0, and it had that tear inside, I wouldn't be upset.

John,

I certainly would be upset, especially if it wasn't disclosed. "Allowable"? It looks more like a two-inch tear (or "break" due to brittleness) at the centerfold. That alone is significant, not moderate. The phrases are all defined in the OSGG, and some common sense will show you how to apply them - or just read my posts :baiting:

"Slight" tears include things like very small tears originating at printers marks and the like. I'd be hard-pressed to say this was even moderate, and hence drop it like a rock to the VG range. However, I'm a glass half-full kinda guy, and the book does have a lot of positives . . . :grin:

I can say the tears aren't any more than 1.25", though you are right- I wouldn't call them slight either. The pages are still pretty supple though so I'm not sure it's due to brittleness.

You're the seller then? (shrug)

I'm also in the 4.5 to 5.0 camp on this one, but it's a nice looking book!

I've seen a few books over the years that have tears in their center near the binding that go through several pages (they're usually smaller than the one on this book), and I've always wondered if they're some bizarre printing defect?

I also wonder how much the miscut affects the grade (if at all), since its a mid-grade book?

John,

I certainly would be upset, especially if it wasn't disclosed. "Allowable"? It looks more like a two-inch tear (or "break" due to brittleness) at the centerfold. That alone is significant, not moderate. The phrases are all defined in the OSGG, and some common sense will show you how to apply them - or just read my posts :baiting:

"Slight" tears include things like very small tears originating at printers marks and the like. I'd be hard-pressed to say this was even moderate, and hence drop it like a rock to the VG range. However, I'm a glass half-full kinda guy, and the book does have a lot of positives . . . :grin:

I don't find definitions for those phrases in the book. And for some reason they don't use measurements like they do for spine splits and pieces missing.

"I'm a glass half-full kinda guy..."

I've noticed that... meh

I don't find definitions for those phrases in the book. And for some reason they don't use measurements like they do for spine splits and pieces missing.

Im not sure which ed. of the guide you have, but the definitions are not in the First ed. They are in the 2nd edition on page 128.

I dont know if they are in the 3rd ed.

regards

Rob

Sal, this is not a Green Label candidate whatsoever . . . guess again :baiting:

(shrug)

who knows what makes a book a GL candidate these days? this is the kind of book that would need to have the flaw indicated on the label, although I don't think they do that sort of thing any more

Im not sure which ed. of the guide you have, but the definitions are not in the First ed. They are in the 2nd edition on page 128.

I dont know if they are in the 3rd ed.

regards

Rob

Thanks for clearing that up. As luck would have it, I only own the 1st and 3rd edition. Odd that they dropped definitions out of the latest edition. That seems kind of important!