• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there anyway of getting into a CGC case and replace books??

9 posts in this topic

Is there anyway of getting into a CGC case and replace books??

NOT that I EVER want to due this.. I just want to know because I just bought a 9.8 off ebay.. and I notced the side looks to have been "tested" to get into i (the right SIDE part can be pulled open about 1/4 inch)t.. the top part still has the tape on it (with the issue name and grade) in perfect condition.. the corners look to be locked.. but is there any way of slipping it out without anyone picking it up!.. I looked at this comic for about 25 mins under heavy light and it looks to be a GEM copy.. i just got alittle worried!.. should I be? should I send it into CGC and get it "re cased"..(would they re case it?) let me know any tips of finding out if this has been done or what not.. MUCh appreciated!

I know someone who claims he did it, but it was before CGC improves their slab.

And he never showed me too.

Will be an urban legend until Chromium show us one of his video (:jokealert:)

hm (you should PM Dève)

Sometimes there is a bit of wiggle room alng the long edge of the outer shell, but that doesn't mean it's been tampered with. I suppose it's possible to switch out a slab, but highly unlikely.

If your 9.8 looks like a 9.8, no worries.

I'd be more concerned if I bought a FF 1 6.0 that looked a lot more like a 4.5 and the well looked fishy.

SpiderJay, as Zipper said the sides of every slab have openings on the side that allow you to flex it open a little bit. You should look more closely at the bottom posts though. More times then not the sides turn whitish where the seams are broken , and the posts area also can completely pop/crack when trying to take them apart . As far as label swapping.. Yes it can be done but I dont think it was ever a real problem. It was possible on older CGC slabs if bottom of the slab is totally taken apart. And putting the clam shell back together good enough so it looks untouched isn't exactly easy. The newer slabs also have the label heat sealed into the inner well along with the comic, and are tamper proof.

I made a thread about it awhile ago in an attempt to get Steve and Co. to start sealing the label with the comic, I swapped out the label of my CGC Secret Origin #1 with a PQX label. Next thing I know I get a prototype inner well in the mail from Steve of a CGC Daredevil #1 Comic with an Uncanny X-Men 267 label sealed into the inner well.

I think he did it so I would stop bugging him.(and of course improve their product)

So in your case I would not worry to much, I imagine your 9.8 is fine.

(:

Ze-

Thanks!... None of the posts are broken.. just the side looks to have been cracked alittle.. and I can open it up with ease about 1/4 an inch.. the comic itself looks flawless.. an absolute 9.8.. but I dont like the fact that the side is cracked... would cgc replace it? i see they offer a service for 11$.. BUT i dunno the terms on which they would accept the book?.. and what terms would they REFUSE to replace it... I plan on having this book a long time and want it to be MINT in the case!... fkin Ebay is filled with cheats!... (even though I got my 9.8 at a good price! lol)

Take a look at other slabs if you have them. you will see the sides are like this in every case. The outershell is not ever totally sealed if I remember correctly.

And you can ask for a reholder if you want to pay for it, but I imagine it will be similar when you get it back.

Ze-

they all have scuffed up/cracked right sides? (like the "lips" of the case look to have been cracked or something like that.... I dont have any other CGCs as I am more into raw copies.. hence is why I was worried and had to ask...