• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fake comics

10 posts in this topic

While i was reading this thread , i remembered the story of the "MARVEL #14" french comic.

The original title was cancelled at issue #13, due to censorship.

It was because of the disturbing and violent stories, according to the french government... In fact, the mag was reprinting stories of Amazing spider-man, Fantastic four and Captain Marvel.

So, a collector decided to make his own #14. 11 copies were printed (numbered from 0 to 10).

Later, a comics shop did the same thing and made anothers copies of it (i don't know how many copies this time).

This is now one of most sought comic in France.

Here are a few pictures of it (not mine, unfortunately):

marvel14neuf1erpage8lh.jpg

marvel14neufcot0pe.jpg

marvel14neufhommagepostume8nl.jpg

As you see, this fake issue was done nicely.

The cost of production for one copy was about $100.

Now, show me your fake comics !

You can say that again...beautiful looking book. I always felt the French reprints had the highest production values (compared to other countries' reprints), not to mention the cool original covers.

If a market for foreign reprints ever takes off in the U.S., this one'd be at the top of the list.

I dont care for anything I cant read :baiting:

I agree wholeheartedly.

Should I send a screwdriver and razor so you can start opening all your slabs?

More on-topic, did anyone post the fake Golden Age Green Lantern 39 here?

Jack

Whats it say? (shrug):baiting:

While i was reading this thread , i remembered the story of the "MARVEL #14" french comic.

The original title was cancelled at issue #13, due to censorship.

It was because of the disturbing and violent stories, according to the french government... In fact, the mag was reprinting stories of Amazing spider-man, Fantastic four and Captain Marvel.

So, a collector decided to make his own #14. 11 copies were printed (numbered from 0 to 10).

Later, a comics shop did the same thing and made anothers copies of it (i don't know how many copies this time).

This is now one of most sought comic in France.

Here are a few pictures of it (not mine, unfortunately):

marvel14neuf1erpage8lh.jpg

marvel14neufcot0pe.jpg

marvel14neufhommagepostume8nl.jpg

The cost of production for one copy was about $100.

Now, show me your fake comics !

The only "fake" comics that I can think of are the photocopies of Canceled Comics Cavalcade and Swamp Thing #88 (Censored Jesus Issue) that are sold every now and then.

But is fake the best term to use here? I would think "unofficial" of "bootleg" may be better. Fake implies that its not really a comic or that its deceptive. Are the French FFs being sold fraudulently or as a unique collectible?

I dont care for anything I cant read :baiting:

I agree wholeheartedly.

Should I send a screwdriver and razor so you can start opening all your slabs?

More on-topic, did anyone post the fake Golden Age Green Lantern 39 here?

Jack

Essentials and reader copies. Even when I had and still have some raw books I never read them. If I want to read it I'll buy a beater or a reprint (thumbs u