• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Avengers #2

34 posts in this topic

I'm posting 3 titles for you to grade. I have my thoughts, but I need corroboration from the group.

First up is an Avengers #2.

The only thing I should mention about this one is that there is a non-color breaking bend (I wouldn't call it a crease) that runs vertically up the middle of the book. It's visible on the front cover running up through the middle of the Space Phantom - and in fact it DOES very slightly break color here. But you really have to study the book carefully to see it on the back cover.

ONE MORE NOTE: There's a tiny tear on the top edge of the front cover. It runs down into the right edge of the "A" in "Avengers". Look closely and you can see it.

JB_AVF.jpg

JB_AVB.jpg

Check that purple banner area where the diagonal crease runs thru in the lower right corner. I don't know if it's my monitor playing tricks...but it looks like the crease line has been touched up...it breaks colour in the grey yet is an off-purple from the rest of the banner. hm

Check that purple banner area where the diagonal crease runs thru in the lower right corner. I don't know if it's my monitor playing tricks...but it looks like the crease line has been touched up...it breaks colour in the grey yet is an off-purple from the rest of the banner. hm

(worship)

Wow.

Don't ever let it be said that you can't grade a comic via a scan.

Thanks, Paul. I think you're absolutely bang on.

Cheers!

I wouldn't think color touch as often you can see the crease in the lighter color areas due to the interaction with the light of the scanner. Its not a major color breaking crease. Obviously easy enough to check but my guess is its OK.

Ed

BTW I'd grade it a 5.5 as well.

Hi Ed,

I'm not certain, but Paul may be on to something. There IS a different shade of purple where the crease passes through the banner, but just in the top section above the word "PHANTOM". I've checked it in bright light, and it does look suspiciously like colour touch.

Here's the deal:

I won these in an auction, and the seller had graded them quite high. He didn't have a ton of feedback (48), but it was all positive, and a number of buyers had mentioned the accurate grading.

The scans weren't the greatest. They showed the overall "good bones" of the books, but not the details that I've mentioned here.

So I bid fairly low, figuring they'd come in about a full grade lower than advertised. If that had been the case, I'd be happy.

Well, it appears that they're at least TWO full grades lower.

Here are his advertised grades:

Avengers #2: 7.5 VF-

TOS #48: 8.0 VF

Daredevil #11: 9.0 VF/NM

And here's how I'd grade them (which is in line with what others have posted on these threads):

Avengers #2: 5.5 F-

TOS #48: 6.0 F

Daredevil #11: 6.5 F+

So I just emailed him to ask to return the books for a refund. I'll let you know what happens.

-------

BTW, I am now DONE DONE DONE with raw books on Ebay!

(worship)

Wow.

Don't ever let it be said that you can't grade a comic via a scan.

Thanks, Paul. I think you're absolutely bang on.

Cheers!

I always hope I'm wrong when it comes to noticing colour touch...especially since I'm going off a scan but sometimes things just stand out that aren't your normal characteristics of a flaw like a colour breaking crease.

At any rate... it's food for thought and glad I could help !!!

Looks like a 5.5, but I'd like to see the vertical bend in hand...could lower it to a 4.5...

i'm with you on this and think that the vertical center crease would take this down in the 4.5 range....................too many front and back cover spine stresses, a long LRC crease and a serious ULC bend that extends thru the entire book......... :(

That's almost the stupidest thing I've heard . . . meh

Stupid, yes. But we've all done stupid things. No need to rub it in. :blush:

I wasn't talking to you Drew . . . (:

Stupid, yes. But we've all done stupid things. No need to rub it in. :blush:

I wasn't talking to you Drew . . . (:

Guess I was already feeling stupid. If the shoe fits... smack yourself over the head with it. doh!