• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New York Comic Show Pics

95 posts in this topic

Were prices through the roof? I don't go to big city cons, but I keep hearing that the CGC boom has prompted a lot of big dealers to price high grade stuff at levels far above what they go for on ebay/heritage these days.

It's called Living in the Past.

Were prices through the roof? I don't go to big city cons, but I keep hearing that the CGC boom has prompted a lot of big dealers to price high grade stuff at levels far above what they go for on ebay/heritage these days.

It's called Living in the Past.

That is the the truth, that is why I do not go to the shows as much. I am concentrating on silver X-men cgc'd. For the few issues I was looking for the dealers were out of their minds. One dealer had an X-men 28 in CGC 9.4 for $1100 but was willing to "let it go" for $800. There was not a single cgc'd X-men from 20 to 93 that I needed that was listed less then 5X guide. Harley Yee, while he seems nice, had the worst prices of all at the show. Obviously he is doing something right but I do not know how he sells anything, even his raw prices were over 3 times guide on some issues.

Tomega

Were prices through the roof?

I'm not a good one to ask as I pretty much only buy CGC 9.4 or better so that's all I really pay attention to. Where that was concerned, other than Good Bob who had some new books (you can see them on his site - yee ha! Cowgirl Romance!), what I saw was pretty much the same old same old.

However, I will share a little story......

Gather 'round the fire boys and girls, Uncle HooDee is going to tell you a story.

I had to go back to the show (again) and drop some books off to CGC (Gaines Copy Christmas "Vault" was one of them) so I did another sweep through. I ended up at Motor City and found a couple of raw early Marvel westerns in "VF/NM". They were priced at basically 1.5x guide - which is optimistic at best. I asked what they wanted for the two of them and the guy (nicely) pointed out that there was an "ND" on both which means "No Discount".

Hmmm, the show sucks and they're gonna hold firm on two overpriced WESTERNS.

I passed.

Hmmm, the show sucks and they're gonna hold firm on two overpriced WESTERNS. I passed.

Smart move, as time is on your side. Wait a bit and things will continue to cool on the "investment front".

There's nothing better than walking through a roomful of cash-starved dealers. It's kinda like Christmas and Easter all rolled into one. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Motor City doesn't budge on their prices.

In San Diego, I had to really work to get them to come off $5 on a silver Thor VF/NM. It might have been because I had my Tigers jersey on though(Always wear the Tigers jersey when I'm in San Diego - San Diegans are still bitter about 1984)

I went back this afternoon and several dealers told me that the show could suck the chrome off your fender.

I was there today with DAM60 and Foolkiller...I agree, it sucked. Good Bob said that there was likely some confusion about the new location and the dates which contributed to the extremely poor turnout. There were some dealers there that looked like they hadn't sold a thing all day. The weak guest list certainly didn't help matters any. There was Jim Lee and then either Ayers or Sean Chen as the next biggest draw. Not good.

I spent all of $11.40 on 3 TPBs (heavily discounted) and called it a day. Highlight of the show for me was watching "Batman: Dead End", the short promo film that debuted in San Diego this year. Very cool stuff, though not worth $20 for a bootleg copy.

Gene

Highlight of the show for me was watching "Batman: Dead End", the short promo film that debuted in San Diego this year. Very cool stuff, though not worth $20 for a bootleg copy.

Gene

Just download it from a file sharing program for free. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i don't get it, how can a con in zoo york suck? big dealers, big books, why would it suck? confused.gif

The bloom is off the rose, and prices are staying at historical highs. Just like the EBay FredKarger phenomenon of setting a huge intitial bid or reserve and then relisting it ad infinitum.

There is waning confidence in the "investment" portion of market right now, and collectors are too cheap to pay the piper. grin.gif

Highlight of the show for me was watching "Batman: Dead End", the short promo film that debuted in San Diego this year. Very cool stuff, though not worth $20 for a bootleg copy.

Gene

Just download it from a file sharing program for free. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Or is DVD version longer?

The Joker in that film is played by the guy who used to play Boner on Growing pains

The comic con market has.........errrr..........crashed. crazy.gif

No, but I think many dealers are still living in the past, and haven't accepted what the "free market" on EBay is telling them.

So instead of adapting to lower prices, they maintain 2001-like levels on CGC books and price their raw NM- books at 8X Guide.... and then complain no one's buying and attendance is down.

i don't get it, how can a con in zoo york suck? big dealers, big books, why would it suck?

1. Poor turnout - It looks like much of New York is still away on vacation (even the streets aren't all that crowded by NYC standards).

2. Poor guest list - Jim Lee is an A-list guest, but there were no other A-listers there. Hey, if you like Ayers, great, but he's at almost all of these shows.

3. Nothing new - If it was my first time at a New York show, I probably would have thought the show was a lot better with all the big dealers there. However, me and DAM60 go to these shows every 2 months and it's the same old dealers with the same old books, over and over and over again. I mostly go for the original art and these dealers' inventory never seems to change. In fact, it seems like they never sell anything because I've been seeing the same pages for sale over and over for the past 2 years!!

Gene

No, but I think many dealers are still living in the past, and haven't accepted what the "free market" on EBay is telling them.

So instead of adapting to lower prices, they maintain 2001-like levels on CGC books and price their raw NM- books at 8X Guide.... and then complain no one's buying and attendance is down.

Gotta love it when dealers price their raw stuff at CGC prices. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Gotta love it when dealers price their raw stuff at CGC prices. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yes, it's quite frustrating, maybe they feel they don't want to lose out on $$$, but then why not just get them slabbed? confused.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif the market cannot sustain these prices, the market will correct itself.893scratchchin-thumb.gifgossip.gif

yes, it's quite frustrating, maybe they feel they don't want to lose out on $$$, but then why not just get them slabbed? confused.gif

Let me tell you a story about a greedy little boy who wanted to have his cake, and eat it too....