• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What a waste......

9 posts in this topic

Neither brother wanted to name one favorite comic or series. So they named four: "Strange Adventures," "Superman," "Batman" and "Mystery in Space."

They also don’t really know what the collection is worth. The comics alone, they guess, are worth "somewhere in six figures."

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think this is really cool. This collection will be accessible to a lot of people and won't just be shut up in someone's home. For those of us who can't afford to buy golden age or silver age comics, this is a really valuable resource for those who would like to read and learn about the history of their favorite hobby.

I think this is really cool. This collection will be accessible to a lot of people and won't just be shut up in someone's home. For those of us who can't afford to buy golden age or silver age comics, this is a really valuable resource for those who would like to read and learn about the history of their favorite hobby.

That is what reprints are for. The possibility of this collection being destroyed by the hands of students who can't comprehend the value of these books makes me ill.

Hmm...

well, at my college, this is how the rare books section works:

You request something from the library. The librarian will let you know when it becomes available.

You are only allowed to view it for a short period of time (a few hours maybe). Depending on how rare and fragile the item is, you will be watched by the librarian or have to wear gloves, etc.

These students really aren't going to have "easy" access. They'll have access but its going to be limited. And if something is ripped, torn, etc, the student will have to pay for the damages.

Since these comics will mostly be read and won't circulate in the market anymore, if a comic has to get restoration, that won't be that big of a deal.

That is what reprints are for

Not everything has been reprinted....

Something not on the same level as this instance of charity, but I once donated about 50 comics to my kids grade school class. The books were used as reading material by the class. The only problem was that the next year the teacher asked me to donate some more....looking through my collection I couldn't find any more suitable kid's books to give her. The first time included mainly bronze superman and superboy. I didn't want to part with any of my good "old" stuff and the modern books are cheap but in general they had way too much violence or were too adult to pass on to grade school kids.

Of course even the cheap bronze books that I did give were still in their bags & boards. Tried explaining to the teacher and the kids the reason for the bags & stuff. Finally just gave up and took back the stuff and let them rip into them like kids are supposed to do anyway.