• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just how many Peter Parker #1's are out there anyway?

34 posts in this topic

300-0607-21b.jpg

Just how many copies of Peter Parker #1 are out there anyway?

I always see people selling this comic in huge bulk. It should be sold by the pound.

I don't remember 1976 that well. Is this one of those comics everyone speculated on like Conan 1 and Shazam 1?

Cause there sure are a lot of uncirculated copies left out there.

300-0607-21b.jpg

I always see people selling this comic in huge bulk. It should be sold by the pound.

I don't remember 1976 that well. Is this one of those comics everyone speculated on like Conan 1 and Shazam 1?

It was hoarded to the nth degree, even in the U.K. Plus it had a huge print run, so warehouse discoveries of this book were and are common. So you're basically correct....

300-0607-21b.jpg

Conan & Shazam are scarce compared to that book.

Shazam #1 is unsellable compared to PPSS #1. Peter Parker was 1 of the 1st comics I bought 30 copies of off the spinner rack. It was like Amaz Spider-man #1 vol. 4. after Amaz Spider-man #1 (1963), Marvel Tales 1 squarebound, Marvel Team Up #1 (1972). :golfclap:

It was far worse, and I can remember even little kids smaller than me talking about the 10-20 issues PPSSM they'd bought and put away. Everyone and their dog was mass speculating on this book, and it was the first one I personally remember like that.

I can't even imagine how many NM-NM++ copies are out there. :o

A good rule of thumb is that any Marvel #1 issue from about 1976-1986 is as about as rare as sand on a beach. Back then, #1 issues were the most valuable and sought after, not first appearances (outside of the early SA).

A good rule of thumb is that any Marvel #1 issue from about 1976-1986 is as about as rare as sand on a beach. Back then, #1 issues were the most valuable and sought after, not first appearances (outside of the early SA).

Seems like your philosophy was created at a young age?

Probably as many as that damn Spectacular Spider-man Magazine. When IM sold his #2 for $1500 I was stunned because I remember dealers around here commenting that there were tons of those things lying around everywhere and many of them in high grade.

Funny thing about Spectacular Spider-man #1 comic is that there is a local dealer here that consistently get $25-35 dollars for copies.

Wow, I think I have PPSS envy. I only have one copy.

Hey Codfish, a fellow Manitoban here! Is the local comic book shop you are referring to in Portage la Prairie or Winnipeg? Just curious? If I knew how to work the private message thing I would send you one but my luddite tendencies are too strong!

Wow, I think I have PPSS envy. I only have one copy.

Hey Codfish, a fellow Manitoban here! Is the local comic book shop you are referring to in Portage la Prairie or Winnipeg? Just curious? If I knew how to work the private message thing I would send you one but my luddite tendencies are too strong!

Winnipeg. There are no shops in Portage. I come into the city every Saturday and spend most of the afternoon in the two stores I buy my new stuff from.

I have three 9.8 white copies. Don't really know why as i wasn't intending to start hoarding these. I think it's cause I way overpaid on my 1st copy, then got the other two at pretty cheap prices, thus bringing down my average cost to reasonable.

I have three 9.8 white copies. Don't really know why as i wasn't intending to start hoarding these. I think it's cause I way overpaid on my 1st copy, then got the other two at pretty cheap prices, thus bringing down my average cost to reasonable.

Or, you could have just stopped throwing good money after bad after buying the first copy... meh:baiting:

Yes... this and Howard the Duck 1 were going to make my friends and I rich! :tonofbricks: