• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

are you creaming Darth?

48 posts in this topic

Trust me, Darth isn't stupid enough to actually invest in a comic like this. He likes the Ultimates, has a 9.8 set he submitted himself, but even the hypermaster himself knows how to separate fact from fiction.

Trust me, Darth isn't stupid enough to actually invest in a comic like this. He likes the Ultimates, has a 9.8 set he submitted himself, but even the hypermaster himself knows how to separate fact from fiction.

Yeah, I know. If I knew it was a "good" buy,either I would have snagged it myself for a flip or pm'd him about it for less exposure tongue.gif

Not just that, but these Signature Series books are quite amusing. I know the purpose is to provide certified autographs, but come on, a CGC 9.8 with writing on the cover?

At a certain point, logic will prevail in this area.

Not just that, but these Signature Series books are quite amusing. I know the purpose is to provide certified autographs, but come on, a CGC 9.8 with writing on the cover?

I agree. I have always wondered how they graded something a 9.8 with 5 signatures on it. insane.gif If I missed a previous thread about this very issue I apologize insane.gif

In a case like this where the signature is a major part of the package, I always assumed that they just ignored the writing when assigning the grade. To me, it would be sort of stupid to penalize for writing on the cover when the writing is the point of SS.

In a case like this where the signature is a major part of the package, I always assumed that they just ignored the writing when assigning the grade. To me, it would be sort of stupid to penalize for writing on the cover when the writing is the point of SS.

That's my point; a CGC 9.8 Sig Series can't be equivalent to a CGC 9.8 Universal.

I agree. On pure grading alone, a 9.8 Universal is not quite the same as a 9.8 SS, but since we're in a collectibles hobby, the rarer the item, the more collectible it becomes. And a 9.8 SS (taking into consideration who the signature belongs to as well) is definitely more rare than a 9.8 Universal. That being said, in this hobby, there are those of us who love autographs and those of us who do not wish for anything to detract from the art of the book.

I agree. On pure grading alone, a 9.8 Universal is not quite the same as a 9.8 SS, but since we're in a collectibles hobby, the rarer the item, the more collectible it becomes.

If you use this as a method of investing in comics, you'll be bankrupt in no time.

Rarity has virtually no impact on prices in and of itself. Demand, attrition and buyer demographics are far more important.

If you don't believe me, check the prices on the common Hulk 181 and then compare those to some low-print run 1990's manufacturered collectibles.

Actually, I never mentioned anything about investing. Admittedly, I am a fan of the Signature Series label and own quite a few, and the few I own are not for investment purposes. In fact, it wouldn't matter to me if they're worthless one day as they're worth something to me and am glad they're in my collection.

Now, you gave a Hulk #181 example. If we take that one step further. I'd be curious to know if, let's say, there were two 9.6's for sale on eBay, one Universal and one SS (writer and artist). All things being the same except for the labels, which one would end at a higher price?

Now, you gave a Hulk #181 example. If we take that one step further. I'd be curious to know if, let's say, there were two 9.6's for sale on eBay, one Universal and one SS (writer and artist). All things being the same except for the labels, which one would end at a higher price?

That would be interesting, but I wouldn't be putting that much cash into a book with a name scrawled across it. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the SS books at all, but I think it's insane that CGC high-grade SS copies start selling for crazy money.

Buy the book, not the label.

Trends come and go, but name-scrawled comics have never been in high demand, unless it's from some old old guy who bought Golden Age off the racks. insane.gif

A SS Book is graded as if there were no signatures on it. A Qualified book with a professional's signature on it is graded in the same manner... except the signature just isn't verified.... hence Qualified. Signature isn't lowering the grade of the book.

A Universal with writing is probably penalized for being a comic with writing on it.

On this book in particular the signature was verified by a CGC witness, in this case someone I know quite well...

So don't buy Signature Series if you don't agree with it.

I know you well enough to know that you hate manufactured "collectibles", and that you would despise the idea of the SS label regardless, so thanks for your input.

A lot of people, however, like their autographed items... be they photos, cards, baseballs, books, clothing... whatever... including comic books. They see it as having a link back to the individual, I say, let them live and let live.

Let them pay their $1500 for a Signature Series 9.8 Bagley ASM White cover and while you and many others think that they are foolish to do so...fleeced by some dealer or opportunist or not... that's entirely their choice to cough up the dough.

Kev

Buy the book, not the label.

In the case of Signature Series... the label is an extremely important selling feature.

If we had two high-grade Hulk 181's both signed by Len Wein and Herb Trimpe on e-bay, yet one was Signature Series and one was ungraded, which would end up with the higher price?

The one with a label saying the signatures were witnessed on a specific day at a specific time or one with no information at all... with potentially fraudulent signatures.

Kev

I'll tell you one thing kev, comic books are moving up the ladder, and condition is paramount to receiving any sort of return. I don't mind the SS series for nostalgia value and getting an auto of a pro, but...

I cannot see future trends embracing this for the "investment grade" CGC 9.8 crowd, and a name scrawled on a comic will always be viewed as a serious defect, CGC certified or not.

So basically, if the $2K is going for your own enjoyment of an autographed issue in a CGC slab, then fine. If you are in any way under the assumption that this USM book is equivalent to a Universal CGC 9.8 for "uber-high-grade collectors" you are sorely mistaken.

A SS Book is graded as if there were no signatures on it. A Qualified book with a professional's signature on it is graded in the same manner... except the signature just isn't verified.... hence Qualified. Signature isn't lowering the grade of the book.

A Universal with writing is probably penalized for being a comic with writing on it.

Kev

id' have to disagree kev, im sure if it's a non SS book, they will downgrade for the ink(sig) on the cover. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Two Hulk 181's on sale on e-bay, one a signature series? All things being equal the non-signature comic would out-sell the signature series easily.

Why?

I truly believe the non-signature book would have more bidders - more demand. And, as JC has said many times, it's the demand that drives up the comic price. grin.gif