• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Limits on EBay S&H Fees?

20 posts in this topic

First off, I know that you're supposed to read the listing, etc. and I do, but I was wondering if there was any limit to what can be charged for S&H?

For example, if I list an Amazing Spider-man #129 CGC 9.4 at a BIN of $200 and then hide a $4,000 S&H fee in the fine print, is there any EBay regulation broken?

If not, it's time to start listing some scam BIN auctions, hire that DOA lawyer down at the hospital and start garnishing some paychecks. grin.gif

Do you have a link to this, and exactly what EBay states is "reasonable"?

Nevermind, I found it under Payment Surcharges. That statement has about as much weight as a feather, as some consultant, doctor, lawyer, etc. could say he spent 20 minutes standing in line buying the box, another 10 buying the tape, 30 minutes packing it, and an hour in line at the PO.

At $695 per hour + $4.95 Priority, that's a final S&H of $1.394.95.

Do you have a link to this, and exactly what EBay states is "reasonable"?

Sorry Joe...I am logging off at the moment but I am sure there is something in writing in the TOS....I'll look it up later if no one else finds anything... confused-smiley-013.gif

Payment: Surcharges

Sellers may not charge eBay buyers an additional fee for their use of ordinary forms of payment, including acceptance of checks, money orders, electronic transfers or credit cards. Such costs should be built into the price of the item-this policy reduces the potential for confusion among bidders about the true cost of an item. Further, some forms of payment surcharges, such as credit card surcharges, are forbidden under the laws of many states, including California.

Can a seller add a surcharge to the final price of an eBay item? Yes, in three instances:

Sellers may charge a reasonable shipping and handling fee to the final price of their item, providing that this fee is disclosed in the listing. A shipping and handling fee can cover the seller's reasonable costs for mailing, packaging and handling the item. Shipping and handling fees cannot be listed as a percentage of the final sale price.

Sellers may pass along the costs associated with using a third party escrow service, if the buyer chooses to use an escrow service.

Sellers may choose to accept payment in a different currency than the currency listed on eBay. If the buyer chooses to take advantage of this optional payment method, the seller may pass along to the buyer any costs associated with the currency exchange, provided that the costs are disclosed and agreed to in advance by the buyer.

Note:

Some types of payment surcharges are permitted on some of eBay's international sites.

Note: From the eBay help center so no link is available. Go to the site map and click on the rules for seller and there will be a link regarding this!

Payment: Surcharges

Sellers may not charge eBay buyers an additional fee for their use of ordinary forms of payment, including acceptance of checks, money orders, electronic transfers or credit cards. Such costs should be built into the price of the item-this policy reduces the potential for confusion among bidders about the true cost of an item. Further, some forms of payment surcharges, such as credit card surcharges, are forbidden under the laws of many states, including California.

Can a seller add a surcharge to the final price of an eBay item? Yes, in three instances:

Sellers may charge a reasonable shipping and handling fee to the final price of their item, providing that this fee is disclosed in the listing. A shipping and handling fee can cover the seller's reasonable costs for mailing, packaging and handling the item. Shipping and handling fees cannot be listed as a percentage of the final sale price.

Sellers may pass along the costs associated with using a third party escrow service, if the buyer chooses to use an escrow service.

Sellers may choose to accept payment in a different currency than the currency listed on eBay. If the buyer chooses to take advantage of this optional payment method, the seller may pass along to the buyer any costs associated with the currency exchange, provided that the costs are disclosed and agreed to in advance by the buyer.

Note:

Some types of payment surcharges are permitted on some of eBay's international sites.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Also, are there any limits to the offers that people make via ebay spam??? 893whatthe.gif

Got this one this morning:

"I have a Wolverine limited series #1 (cgc 9.6, cgc 9.4. and cgc 9.2,

all with white pages) which I can let go for $500.00"

insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

Wow the 9.6 Wolverine Limited Series set in my eBay store for $250.00 is a bargain then. I am such a nice guy the link for my store is below... grin.gif

Let me know if you've got an extra CGC 9.6 #4, as I'm either completing it, or selling them. 893frustrated.gif

Wow the 9.6 Wolverine Limited Series set in my eBay store for $250.00 is a bargain then. I am such a nice guy the link for my store is below... grin.gif

Let me know if you've got an extra CGC 9.6 #4, as I'm either completing it, or selling them. 893frustrated.gif

Sorry Joe, sold it 6 months ago with the extra 9.4 #1 I had. You can always buy my set and pick the best ones sell the dupes... grin.gif

OT: from ebay help:

Fee Avoidance

Sellers must refrain from activity that circumvents eBay fees. Below are some examples of fee avoidance:

Using member contact information obtained from eBay or using any eBay feature to offer to sell any listed item outside of eBay

Canceling a listing to sell the item to anyone who contacted the seller through eBay, or became aware of the item through eBay

Ending a listing early to sell the item at a higher price to the winning bidder

Using member contact information obtained from eBay or using any eBay feature to offer to sell an item outside of eBay to any of your bidders in a Reserve Not Met listing.

Using member contact information obtained from eBay or using any eBay feature to sell duplicate or additional merchandise outside of eBay to underbidders

Listing items in a manner that allows circumvention of eBay fees

You can always buy my set and pick the best ones sell the dupes... grin.gif

Just what I need, more CGC 9.6 Wolverine orphans. tongue.gif

Well they will only be your orphans till you flip them to be someone elses problem... tongue.gif

Well they will only be your orphans till you flip them to be someone elses problem... tongue.gif

Yeah sure, assuming that most sellers don't continue to list full sets, and kill the prices on mine....

Talk about a Catch-22....

Yeah sure, assuming that most sellers don't continue to list full sets, and kill the prices on mine....

Talk about a Catch-22....

893crossfingers-thumb.gifgrin.gif