• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game: SILVER AGE SURVIVOR SERIES - Final Round

Choose the final comic to leave this list  

372 members have voted

1. 1. Choose the final comic to leave this list

72 posts in this topic

Well, after a few weeks and countless debate, we have arrived at our Final 2 in the Silver Age Survivor Series. While the remaining 2 books may not come as a surprise to most, the fun part was in the journey here. So, here we are and we'll take this until Thursday night around 8:30.

Have at it...

I'm going to stick with FF #1 as my choice to survive. I voted off AF #15 not so much for any drawbacks but more for what I see is special about FF #1. I still believe that FF provided the template for all Marvel books to follow. It personalized the heroes, gave them real world problems and displayed tension within. All while wrapping it up in great stories for the most part. Spider-Man has a better villain selection but FF had a broader spectrum of stories to play with.

I voted for FF #1. It was tough to choose. Even though FF #1 was first and provided the template. AF #15 and the character of Spider-man took the ball and ran with it, achieving far greater popularity than the FF.

Being first out the door doesn't automatically mean being the best or the most important.

History judges that, and no one can dispute Spider-man is right up there with Superman and Batman as the icons of the comic book world.

I'm going to stick with FF #1 as my choice to survive. I voted off AF #15 not so much for any drawbacks but more for what I see is special about FF #1. I still believe that FF provided the template for all Marvel books to follow. It personalized the heroes, gave them real world problems and displayed tension within. All while wrapping it up in great stories for the most part. Spider-Man has a better villain selection but FF had a broader spectrum of stories to play with.

I agree for the most part, but voted FF off. I read more FF as a kid than Spider-Man, but in hindsight FF was more of a reaction to JLA, even thought characters were unique, while ASM was more original. The success of FF undoubtedly made Spider-Man possible, but in the end I think ASM is the better character and series. I also agree with JC that Spider-Man rivals Superman and Batman.

History judges that, and no one can dispute Spider-man is right up there with Superman and Batman as the icons of the comic book world.

That pretty much sums it up for me. The impact of Spider-man on our culture, starting with this first appearance, is far greater than FF.

I think that Spidey is obviously the most popular but that is not what I believe this is about. F4 is what all comics hope to achieve. Definition. To define their medium, their era and secure a place in history

(thumbs u

This was an easy vote for me. I genuinely think FF #1 is much more important and significant than AF #15, and I genuinely despise Spider-Man and Whiney Parker.

I think that Spidey is obviously the most popular but that is not what I believe this is about. F4 is what all comics hope to achieve. Definition. To define their medium, their era and secure a place in history

And that's exactly how I view Spidey, which is one reason why his stock has risen to the level of GA icons.

And that's exactly how I view Spidey, which is one reason why his stock has risen to the level of GA icons.

Although mine is different, I respect your opinion (thumbs u

This will probably get me in trouble, but I personally think that FF is an overrated SA title. :baiting:

Yes, it was the first true Marvel superhero book, but from reading most of #1-100 (could not stand most issues from #80 - #100) it ceased being the world's greatest comic someplace in the mid 60s and lost most (if not all) of its relevance by the early 70s. ASM was a decent read up until after the McSpidey run, while FF sucked after the first Galactus/Surfer story arc (if not before that). Keep in mind that the first comic I ever purchased and read was X-Men #211 (classic Mutant Massacre storyline) so most SA storylines are "spoon" to me in the first place (especially DC).

I also agree with JC that Spidey is the only Marvel character to achieve iconic status, while the FF is only noted today because Jessica Alba is in the movies. Speaking of which, the FF #1 has to be punished for the weaker movie franchise as well.

Yeah, I liked the Spiderman movies much more than both the Fantastic Four movies....especially that first FF movie (boy did that stink).

I've never really gotten into the FF, so Spidey's my choice to stay and sit upon his throne.

Andy

Spiderman is arguably the most popular superhero on the planet. You would be hard pressed to find a store that doesn't have something with Spidey on it. They have rugs at Home Depot for god's sake. Lamp shades, water guns, bikes, posters, birthday cards, party plates and cups, balls, skate boards, countless video games, did you see the Spiderman TV and DVD player? , bedroom sets, watches, countless shirts, pants, pj's, socks, gotch, okay I've rambled enough. Last check on ebay there were almost 18,000 auction items this week alone Spidey related.

As far as I'm concerned this book is as important as an Action #1 or Detective #27.

If all 3 were the same vintage i think the AMF15 would be the most valuable of the three making it the most valuable book period.

FF may have started the big play but Spidey carried the ball for the touchdown!