• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC report

57 posts in this topic

Hi Steve --

Do you know anyone who's out there? A lot of collectors I have spoken with are not at SD this year for whatever reason...but I hope there are a few stalwarts on hand to make a report! As you suggest, inquiring minds want to know...

Dan

You're right. Other than the usual dealers, most of my fellow collector friends are not making the trip this year. I'm desperate for information!!
I got some info for ya,ain't gonna be cheap though.

My sources tell me that the ASM #12 splash sold last night. Contact Mike B. for details... It seems like no matter what price people put on these prime Ditko Spidey pieces- they move!

.... and that aint krazy... (:

mmmmm There's a lot of nice art. I spent all last night window shopping. Great stuff!

I was at the Con on Wednesday and today (Saturday). I was pretty blown away. Not by the Con itself (if anything, it wasn't as good for me as last year when more of my friends made it out), but by the exorbitant sticker prices. I guess the rash of recent high-profile, high-priced, high-end sales has every dealer thinking the entire market needs to be restickered 20% higher at a minimum. I heard more than one person besides myself uttering the words "sticker shock" to describe the state of OA at this year's SDCC.

I collect mainly Warren Vampirella art and have a secondary interest in certain Marvel characters. However, at current price levels, I may just cut out the Marvel art altogether - I really don't feel like shelling out $8-$12K+ just to fill up another slot in my Itoya portfolio with a nice splash, cover or key panel page, and it seems like everything I have any interest at all in is at least in that price range, if not higher. I saw that the asking price for the ASM #25 page with the first Mary Jane (face not shown) was $35K!!

As for Vampirella art, I saw some nice pieces at the Con but found it surprisingly easy to pass at the prevailing market prices - I had been paying these kind of prices for a while, but now that I have enough material in my collection, I don't really feel the need to anymore. The only piece I saw that was of any real interest was the Jeff Jones/Vaughn Bode cover to Vampirella #4, but at $30K (which actually didn't seem that unreasonable to me compared to what some people were asking for other art at the Con), I decided I didn't really love it enough to make an offer.

I saw the Heritage Killing Joke page at the show today. Maybe I just haven't drunk enough Kool-Aid, but I'd rather have a $30,000 stack of $100 bills than that page. At that kind of price level, I was expecting to be blown away in person - and I wasn't. :juggle:

I was at the Con on Wednesday and today (Saturday). I was pretty blown away. Not by the Con itself (if anything, it wasn't as good for me as last year when more of my friends made it out), but by the exorbitant sticker prices. I guess the rash of recent high-profile, high-priced, high-end sales has every dealer thinking the entire market needs to be restickered 20% higher at a minimum. I heard more than one person besides myself uttering the words "sticker shock" to describe the state of OA at this year's SDCC.

I collect mainly Warren Vampirella art and have a secondary interest in certain Marvel characters. However, at current price levels, I may just cut out the Marvel art altogether - I really don't feel like shelling out $8-$12K+ just to fill up another slot in my Itoya portfolio with a nice splash, cover or key panel page, and it seems like everything I have any interest at all in is at least in that price range, if not higher. I saw that the asking price for the ASM #25 page with the first Mary Jane (face not shown) was $35K!!

As for Vampirella art, I saw some nice pieces at the Con but found it surprisingly easy to pass at the prevailing market prices - I had been paying these kind of prices for a while, but now that I have enough material in my collection, I don't really feel the need to anymore. The only piece I saw that was of any real interest was the Jeff Jones/Vaughn Bode cover to Vampirella #4, but at $30K (which actually didn't seem that unreasonable to me compared to what some people were asking for other art at the Con), I decided I didn't really love it enough to make an offer.

I saw the Heritage Killing Joke page at the show today. Maybe I just haven't drunk enough Kool-Aid, but I'd rather have a $30,000 stack of $100 bills than that page. At that kind of price level, I was expecting to be blown away in person - and I wasn't. :juggle:

$30K seems to be the magic password for OA these days, ouch! Thanks for the report. Clem.

Hey Gene --

Thanks for the report. I figured it would be sky-high pricing, since some collectors with deep pockets only go to SD in a given year, plus the fact that the Donnelly brothers set up there and will list Ed Hannigan Defenders panel pages (w/Colletta inks) for $500 a pop...give me a break.

Do you recall any particular pieces that you thought were interesting (with the prices)? I always assume a few new pieces will show up in SD, but often it's the same stuff as usual. I collect 1970's Marvel superhero art, for example, so I'm always interested in hearing what's out there....but I realize that's not your collecting interest, so you may not know.

Regardless, thanks for the info and the perspective.

Best,

Dan

Gene, thanks for the info -- especially on the Ditko piece. I've heard similar comments about a lot of the Kirby art people have seen.

I hope the dealers in SD who don't sell the "new and improved prices" artwork will lower their prices for Chicago. lol And then monkeys will fly out of my butt. meh

Do you recall any particular pieces that you thought were interesting (with the prices)? I always assume a few new pieces will show up in SD, but often it's the same stuff as usual. I collect 1970's Marvel superhero art, for example, so I'm always interested in hearing what's out there....but I realize that's not your collecting interest, so you may not know.

I wasn't looking that closely, but here's some of what I saw (some of the prices may be off a little bit, I'm going from memory):

ASM #25 "First Mary Jane" panel page - $35K

X-Men #133 last page splash - $25K

X-Men #58 cover - offers

Two color Neal Adams Marvel mag covers (one or both was MOKF, I believe) - $35K and $22K

Neal Adams GL/GA "1970s TPB cover" - $22.5K (I think...maybe it was $35K, I can't remember for sure...)

Jeffrey Jones/Vaughn Bode Vampirella #4 cover - $30K

Enrich Vampirella #90 cover - $10K

Jose Gonzalez Vampirella "Dancer" 2/3rds splash - $5K

Jose Gonzalez Vampirella #54 frontispiece - $3,500

Barry Windsor-Smith Conan II movie poster prelim - $18K (listed as "on hold")

Barry Windsor-Smith giant Conan head pencil piece from the 1970s - $12K

Jack Kirby/Vince Colletta Thor title splash (from the #110s or #120s I believe) - $12K (I think...)

Mark Schultz Cadillacs & Dinosaurs #3 cover - $12K

Brian Bolland Killing Joke page - auction (Heritage)

X-Men #113 cover - not marked

Dave Stevens color cover (some hot blonde and I think a giant cat in a bikini) - $15K

Conan #19 panel page (can't remember the page) Smith pencils, not inked-$20,000

X-men 109 panel page, Byrne--$5,000

Action 358 cover, Adams--$21,500

Superboy and LSH cover #238, by Starlin--$17,000

Thor title splash, (large Thor figuere swinging hammer) I think from #85,--$30,000

FF 51 panel page (page 9, maybe)--$20,000

Amazing Spider-man 59 cover, last twice up--$100,000

Joe S.

Conan #19 panel page (can't remember the page) Smith pencils, not inked-$20,000

X-men 109 panel page, Byrne--$5,000

Action 358 cover, Adams--$21,500

Superboy and LSH cover #238, by Starlin--$17,000

Thor title splash, (large Thor figuere swinging hammer) I think from #85,--$30,000

FF 51 panel page (page 9, maybe)--$20,000

Amazing Spider-man 59 cover, last twice up--$100,000

Joe S.

Do you remember who had the FF 51 page?

The Thor page must be from 86 or 87 or 89. 85 is Thor meeting Loki. Wow though. A splash like that would be killer.