• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC report

57 posts in this topic

Conan #19 panel page (can't remember the page) Smith pencils, not inked-$20,000

X-men 109 panel page, Byrne--$5,000

Action 358 cover, Adams--$21,500

Superboy and LSH cover #238, by Starlin--$17,000

Thor title splash, (large Thor figuere swinging hammer) I think from #85,--$30,000

FF 51 panel page (page 9, maybe)--$20,000

Amazing Spider-man 59 cover, last twice up--$100,000

Joe S.

Amazing prices, how in the world did I buy a Our Fighting Forces #28 page for only $300? And Heath art to boot. I just don't understand the OA world, perhaps I'll just stick to buying the books.

Thor title splash, (large Thor figuere swinging hammer) I think from #85,--$30,000

Joe S.

The Thor page must be from 86 or 87 or 89. 85 is Thor meeting Loki. Wow though. A splash like that would be killer.

Yeah, definitely wasn't the 85...could've been the 84...was Thor in the corner facing an oncoming army (pictured small) in the desert?

Wow!

Are some of these prices way out of whack or is it me? I realize that Kirby and Ditko work has taken off recently, but the Barry Windsor-Smith art seems to be priced at an unrealistic level ($12K for a large head pencil piece - $20K for a penciled panel page from issue #19?).

I bought a BWS Conan panel page (issue #9, page 6) from Heritage about eight months ago, and at $5700.00, I thought I had paid maybe a little bit more than I should have.

Does anyone know if the Smith art sold? Is this just wishful thinking on the dealers part, or is this stuff really moving at these levels?

I can no longer afford OA 'and' my wifes shoe and purse habit - somethin's gotta give!

-Bill

He owns the Vampi 4 cover? I assume it was there on consignment with some dealer, because if I missed a Danzig appearance I won't be happy.

Danzig told me it's been in his personal collection for years. He sidelines as an OA dealer (www.blacklinefever.com) and has been setting up in San Diego just about every year that I've been there (since 2001). He's a big Vampirella fan and has a large collection (or, at least he used to; I'm not sure how much he has sold to me and others) including, I've heard, the Vampirella #1 cover by Frazetta. :o

Does anyone know if the Smith art sold? Is this just wishful thinking on the dealers part, or is this stuff really moving at these levels?

The $18K piece movie poster prelim was listed as being "on hold", so it may have sold. As of Saturday afternoon the Conan pencil piece was still for sale...

Joe S.

The Thor page must be from 86 or 87 or 89. 85 is Thor meeting Loki. Wow though. A splash like that would be killer.

Yeah, definitely wasn't the 85...could've been the 84...was Thor in the corner facing an oncoming army (pictured small) in the desert?

No the 84 would be more like $60K up.

Clem...

I believe the Thor splash may have been the 97, Heck inks. Conrad E. has that one.... or at least did. Dan

Dan that 97 splash page is way ugly and its not even a full page splash image. It must be another Thor splash? surely?

Clem...

Didn't mean to imply that he had sold it. Don't know if that was his price or not or if sold. But, I do know he took it to SD and probably had it priced around that mark. I bought the JIM 106 splash from Conrad and was offered the 97 as well. But, I don't need any Heck art hanging around so I passed.

There is a short list of inkers that I like to look at over Kirby..... Sinnott, Stone, Giacoia (sometimes), Everett, Royer, Berry. When you hang a piece of art and stare at it every day, it becomes less about the history or story or size and more about the image.... at least in my case. DF

He owns the Vampi 4 cover? I assume it was there on consignment with some dealer, because if I missed a Danzig appearance I won't be happy.

Danzig told me it's been in his personal collection for years. He sidelines as an OA dealer (www.blacklinefever.com) and has been setting up in San Diego just about every year that I've been there (since 2001). He's a big Vampirella fan and has a large collection (or, at least he used to; I'm not sure how much he has sold to me and others) including, I've heard, the Vampirella #1 cover by Frazetta. :o

How does a guy who's never even had a gold record afford a Frazetta?!

How does a guy who's never even had a gold record afford a Frazetta?!

That's odd because I know the guy that bought the Frazetta Vampi #1 cover back in the early 90's at auction and I don't think he's sold it.

C

Didn't mean to imply that he had sold it. Don't know if that was his price or not or if sold. But, I do know he took it to SD and probably had it priced around that mark. I bought the JIM 106 splash from Conrad and was offered the 97 as well. But, I don't need any Heck art hanging around so I passed.

There is a short list of inkers that I like to look at over Kirby..... Sinnott, Stone, Giacoia (sometimes), Everett, Royer, Berry. When you hang a piece of art and stare at it every day, it becomes less about the history or story or size and more about the image.... at least in my case. DF

I kind of agree with that Dan, thats why I like some of (not all) of the large twice up Marvel Masterwork pin ups. Some of the single large images are just stunning to look at in twice up. Unfortunately, I doubt I will be affording any more of those the way the Kirby market is going lately. I always loved the X-Men 2 splash that you had Dan and the X-Men 5 splash. They had that pin up quality, especially the 5 which I did own for a while (:-(

Clem...

The X-Men #5 splash! Dan and Clem owned that?!? That is a PHENOMENAL splash...too bad it's definitely no longer for sale/available - and if it was it would be for CRAZY money...

I hope you both got a King's Ransom for it!

Wow. I had no idea that he sets up. I really like the Misfits and it would have been cool to stop by his booth. Bummer.