• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC report

57 posts in this topic

He owns the Vampi 4 cover? I assume it was there on consignment with some dealer, because if I missed a Danzig appearance I won't be happy.

Danzig told me it's been in his personal collection for years. He sidelines as an OA dealer (www.blacklinefever.com) and has been setting up in San Diego just about every year that I've been there (since 2001). He's a big Vampirella fan and has a large collection (or, at least he used to; I'm not sure how much he has sold to me and others) including, I've heard, the Vampirella #1 cover by Frazetta. :o

How does a guy who's never even had a gold record afford a Frazetta?!

Merchandising. You could go to any high school anywhere in the country anytime in the last 15 years and someone would be wearing a Misfits shirt. Also, unlike the majors where artists only get 10-15% of music sales, indie labels usually split it 50/50. Does that add up to a Frazetta? Not sure, but I have no doubt he has made some good money.

He owns the Vampi 4 cover? I assume it was there on consignment with some dealer, because if I missed a Danzig appearance I won't be happy.

Danzig told me it's been in his personal collection for years. He sidelines as an OA dealer (www.blacklinefever.com) and has been setting up in San Diego just about every year that I've been there (since 2001). He's a big Vampirella fan and has a large collection (or, at least he used to; I'm not sure how much he has sold to me and others) including, I've heard, the Vampirella #1 cover by Frazetta. :o

How does a guy who's never even had a gold record afford a Frazetta?!

Merchandising. You could go to any high school anywhere in the country anytime in the last 15 years and someone would be wearing a Misfits shirt. Also, unlike the majors where artists only get 10-15% of music sales, indie labels usually split it 50/50. Does that add up to a Frazetta? Not sure, but I have no doubt he has made some good money.

And don't forget all those royalties from every time I've karaoke'd "Mother". :o:grin:

As for whether he owns the Vampi #1 cover or not, I didn't ask him...a couple of people told me, though, that he has it and has turned down some pretty big offers for it. (shrug)

Danzig is quite the collector/dealer. Last year at San Diego, he pulled out two Frazetta paintings. Both were priced aggressively although they were mini-gems in their own right. Also had the pen and ink cover to Dragula from NAtional Lampoon.

I was quoted the following prices on some covers...

Iron Man #125 $16,000

Iron man #134 $18,000(or $18,500)

Red Sonja #15 either $14,000 or $14,500

Yeesh!

Iron Man #125 $16,000

Yeesh!

That just doesn't even make any sense. It sounds like they just pulled a number out of the air...

Iron Man #125 $16,000

Yeesh!

Ah yes, the Red Sonja #15 cover which sold for $2,500 on eBay in February 2005. Apparently we live in a banana republic where inflation has raged at 104% a year since then. meh Either that, or that price is just :screwy:

The X-Men #5 splash! Dan and Clem owned that?!? That is a PHENOMENAL splash...too bad it's definitely no longer for sale/available - and if it was it would be for CRAZY money...

I hope you both got a King's Ransom for it!

I owned the X-Men 5 splash (not Dan) and for what I got for it, I couldn't buy 2 Red Sonya covers for it now!

Clem...

Sounds Donnelly-esque to quote prices at random; I wonder if they're behind the Red Sonja and Iron Man hijinks. I remember asking about a nice Cap splash from them at SD and being quoted $2100. Later, when I returned to perhaps buy the piece it was $2500. No rhyme nor reason...won't be buying from them -- ever...

But maybe it's someone else!

Dan

Iron Man #125 $16,000

Yeesh!

Ah yes, the Red Sonja #15 cover which sold for $2,500 on eBay in February 2005. Apparently we live in a banana republic where inflation has raged at 104% a year since then. meh Either that, or that price is just :screwy:

lol:signfunny:

Iron Man #125 $16,000

Yeesh!

By who?

Donnelly booth. Plenty o nice covers/pages, plenty o high prices.

Wow!

Are some of these prices way out of whack or is it me? I realize that Kirby and Ditko work has taken off recently, but the Barry Windsor-Smith art seems to be priced at an unrealistic level ($12K for a large head pencil piece - $20K for a penciled panel page from issue #19?).

I bought a BWS Conan panel page (issue #9, page 6) from Heritage about eight months ago, and at $5700.00, I thought I had paid maybe a little bit more than I should have.

Does anyone know if the Smith art sold? Is this just wishful thinking on the dealers part, or is this stuff really moving at these levels?

I can no longer afford OA 'and' my wifes shoe and purse habit - somethin's gotta give!

-Bill

Just an FYI: A dealer had the BWS Conan corner box art from issues 12-24 (it measured about 4" X 6" iirc) and sold it for $3750. It was really sweet and I was definitely tempted. I ultimately passed because I hadn't yet seen what other dealers were selling. It sold pretty quickly afterwards to another dealer...a sure sign the price was right.

Thanks for the info Felix. That's definitely something I would have liked to have seen. Heritage sold a page from issue #13 a few weeks ago for $6k with the juice. Smiths Conan run was a favorite of mine when I was a kid and I can recall how bummed out I was when he left the title. Pure nostalgia there for me! I still have the copy of Conan #1 that I bought off the spinner rack way back when. It's one of the few comics that I've held on to from my youth.

I was looking at you gallery the other day and you have some wonderful pieces. That BWS Weapon X page you picked up recently is really stunning. I also left a comment on your Totleben Swamp Thing page (I was one of the people bidding against you the night you won that one).

I'm actually making an effort to hold off buying anything for the next four months or so (we'll see how that goes), and I'll be selling some rare whisky from my bunker as well as some tv props in an effort to pick up something a little pricey.

-Bill

Thanks for the info Felix. That's definitely something I would have liked to have seen. Heritage sold a page from issue #13 a few weeks ago for $6k with the juice. Smiths Conan run was a favorite of mine when I was a kid and I can recall how bummed out I was when he left the title. Pure nostalgia there for me! I still have the copy of Conan #1 that I bought off the spinner rack way back when. It's one of the few comics that I've held on to from my youth.

I was looking at you gallery the other day and you have some wonderful pieces. That BWS Weapon X page you picked up recently is really stunning. I also left a comment on your Totleben Swamp Thing page (I was one of the people bidding against you the night you won that one).

I'm actually making an effort to hold off buying anything for the next four months or so (we'll see how that goes), and I'll be selling some rare whisky from my bunker as well as some tv props in an effort to pick up something a little pricey.

-Bill

Thanks for the compliment, Bill, and thanks for not bidding any higher on that Swampy page!

Best of luck to you in your OA fundraisng.:thumbsup:

Felix