• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAIR OF HULK 181's FOR SALE!!!!

123 posts in this topic

The most interesting comment to support the sun fade theory is the one above about red fading faster than say black.

Well, red does fade faster than black. Red fades the fastest out of the four colors. I suppose the long box theory is possible, but it just seems so weird to me. I think you'd see at least a little bit of the black faded. It's a tough call either way.

Then I would suggest he gets that one slabbed as most people like myself will see it as a book with a weird faded area :gossip:

I'm sure once it's slabbed that'll end the debate. lol

What's funny is that when I look at the scan the yellow does appear to be very, very slightly faded; but, the book doesn't look that way. Is it the power of CGCBOARD suggestion? Anyway, the book is an oddball due to the fade of unknown origin; other than that, its really nice and glossy. Maybe I'll just take my football and go home Linus!!

I just can't see how a book would have a sun fade like that.

I have actually seen books EXACTLY like that, which have been exposed through the hand-holes in a longbox.

It's actually a classic case, and there is virtually no chance that it's a printing defect that perfectly emulates a longbox sun/light fade.

Do the math.

I can't find anything on google to support the "red fades the fastest theory". I'm not a denier though. The off-the-boards consensus was printing fade. The boards very quickly jumped on the sun-fade take. Perhaps this one will go in for a slab to help each of those guys in Sarasota buy new pony for their daughters.

I think you'd see at least a little bit of the black faded.

Nope, black never fades and in some cases, may actually become darker as the surrounding inks fade. My sun-faded X-men 94 is just a mass of black, and it's now darker where the green background used to be.

An almost sure-fire method of determining a sun/light-fade is to examine the reds. If they're lighter than the surrounding colors (which may be lightly faded too) then that's what you're dealing with 99.9% of the time.

I think you'd see at least a little bit of the black faded.

Nope, black never fades and in some cases, may actually become darker as the surrounding inks fade. My sun-faded X-men 94 is just a mass of black, and it's now darker where the green background used to be.

An almost sure-fire method of determining a sun/light-fade is to examine the reds. If they're lighter than the surrounding colors (which may be lightly faded too) then that's what you're dealing with 99.9% of the time.

Could you post a scan of the XM94?

If you're going to sell these, slab 'em and get more back for your money. That'll 1. make you more money (since slabbed copies tend to realize more on key books) and 2. it will provide a definitive answer to the debate.

I can't find anything on google to support the "red fades the fastest theory".

It does, and look up "lightfastness" and see how older red pigments are incredibly susceptible to sun fading and bleaching. Same with some blues and purples, depending on what type of ink.

I have several old books from my childhood that spent some time on the back window of our car, and the reds are deads. Yellow and greens fade too, but take a lot more sun, while blacks will continue to be black.

If you're going to sell these, slab 'em and get more back for your money. That'll 1. make you more money (since slabbed copies tend to realize more on key books) and 2. it will provide a definitive answer to the debate.

I will slab the sun fade book if ACES pays for the costs.

In the color industry, the term for how much colors fade in the

sunlight is "lightfastness". A color is lightfast or light stable if it

does not fade upon exposure to ultraviolet or visible light.

Q: Why does the color red fade in the sunlight?

I see older bumper stickers or signs and the red is almost evaporated. The other colors seem to be fine.

A: Basically, ultraviolet light from the sun "burns" (chemically modifies) the red-colored substances, turning them into substances which are less red.

Could you post a scan of the XM94?

Sure, but it'll have nothing to do with your book, as this is a "dealer wall book" that was probably sitting there for decades and is totally faded. It's a real freakshow.

Quite a bit higher. Not as much on the first as I think 6.5, but the second one is definitely much higher than 5.5. No lower than a 7.5--I'd agree with an 8.0 on it. The fading is not that severe. Had the fading not been on it, I would call it up to a 9.0. The ASM #1 CGC 9.0 in the 2003 OS guide on page 192 has a similar structure to this book.

Even if it technically does grade as a 7.5 to 8.0, I don't see it being valued as highly as other similarly graded books that don't have that fading effect. The main reason is that I don't see it presenting as well as a book with, say, a small CB crease in a corner.

Speaking of which, what is that apparent smudge mark in the URC?