• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Diego Comic Con pics......please!

35 posts in this topic

Agreed. The best time I had at a con was last year by myself in Baltimore, no family.

I took the family Wednesday night and half-day today. Both my wife and I agree, we won't be going back with kids until the youngest is at least a 10, eight years from now.

So far, I stopped by and saw Bob B. for about 30 seconds, enough to snap a pick. I said hello to Adam (need to go back and get my pic with that Action 1, wife had the camera). And, I picked up my Rex #1 from Brent. I'll show it off at the forum dinner Saturday night.

I'll be going back Saturday by myself to wander the comics from noon on. Two pics, the one of Bob at his booth I already posted in his Jerry's All-Stars thread.

41495-sdcc.jpg.d41932f14e3b623b5c410e3324dd03ed.jpg

41496-boballstars1.jpg.e63f2bce85cb2eeef3c5e0ed76123212.jpg

One of the best vacations my wife and I ever had was our San Diego trip (sans kids - they were home with grandma) in 1989. We came in early and saw all the sites and when the show started I got to do my comic thing during the day. Each evening we went to a new restaurant. La Jolla for shopping. Del Mar and bet on the races. Zoo. Animal Park. Boat rides through the bay. Rental car over the bridge to the Grand Hotel (or whatever it's called). Took the trolley to Tijuana

There are a million things to do and see in the San Diego area.

First time posting to the forum, but this might be of interest to all of us...

In addition to the pics we're all looking forward to seeing in this thread, myself included, G4 TV is doing daily reports from the Con. Their first report was last night, but I haven't watched it yet (DVR'd). While these will probably be more "multimedia" focused they might help fill the void for those of us who couldn't make it.

G4 TV web site

....a few images borrowed from todays Scoop!

(check out Mark Zaid suspiciously eyeing up Brent's books (Quality Comix) when he's not around :baiting:....betcha' he offered to watch the booth, and has a duffle bag hidden under the table :gossip: )

41519-scoop2.jpg.18d6d3a507eea1e67e08fb8c83034b1f.jpg

41520-scoop.jpg.4274e6becbf4148cd399d7c782256ad0.jpg

41522-zaid.jpg.4ed9e237dab791d38d6d4c937b271655.jpg

41523-scoop3.jpg.28fb69a11fea7ffebd2de53b332d4375.jpg

....a few images borrowed from todays Scoop!

(check out Mark Zaid suspiciously eyeing up Brent's books (Quality Comix) when he's not around :baiting:....betcha' he offered to watch the booth, and has a duffle bag hidden under the table :gossip: )

We can't see his hands either hm

No matter why you go to San Diego, the city itself is always the main attraction for me. Here's a look down towards the convention center this morning.

sd772.jpg

Some convention highlights for me (thanks for not mentioning my name):

* Getting a look at the interior of the Four Color 62 file copy at Metropolis (gorgeous book that looks even better in person!).

* Taking a closer look at Tec 1 3.0 and FC 386 9.4 at Heritage.

* The wall of Jerry Bails All Stars.

Jay, thnx for the Con report and also for setting up the Forum dinner. You had some well-deserved nice pickups (especially that Rex 1 delivered to you from Marnin/CollectorsAssemble - what a gorgeous book :golfclap:).

Golden Age selection was pretty decent this year, but I really had to pound the pavement (oh my aching feet) to find some comics for my collection. Made multiple purchases from Bedrock City, Motor City, Harley Yee, Basement Comics, Terry's Comics, Tomorrow's Treasures, Dale Roberts, Superworld, Black Cat Comics, and Stephen Ritter.

Enjoyed visiting with A-1 Comics, JHV & Associates, Steven Wyatt, Torpedo Comics, Bob Storms, Filter's Comics, Robert Beerbohm, Quality Comix, SoCalComics, Howard's Rare Comics, Comic Heaven, Bunky Brothers, Redbeard, all of whom had enticing displays.

With escalating booth and travel costs, I really appreciate these dealers making the long haul to setup at the Con.

Had a fun visit with Gary Carter, who appeared at the convention for the first time in 6 years.

Spent some time with Joe Smejkel, a long-time collector who really loves the hobby. Joe has the Church run of Green Lantern (interestingly enough, Torpedo had the "missing" Church copy of GL 14 for sale) in the soon-to-end Heritage auction. These are simply fabulous books, and even the purple label first issue (which was one of the HOT topics of the convention) is still an amazing comic.

The Forum dinner was great, though I arrived a bit late after nodding off in my hotel room. Had a very enjoyable chat with Steve Borock, and meeting both old and new friends from the Board is always a treat.

Traffic seemed a bit down in the Gold section, but most of the dealers I spoke to reported good sales.

All in all a good show - shame I can't make Chicago as I'm already more than ready for another Con!

STEVE