• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange ad

20 posts in this topic

3-D Spy Glasses?

I loved those ads where you can look through your hand, or see through some chick's dress.

The only thing that sucked was...they didn't work. 893frustrated.gif

A brownie point for who guess what issue it is from.

Tom

Before I hazard a guess, I need to know something. Is there a 3% surcharge on the brownie point? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No, there is a brownie point premium of 3% if paid with credit card but none if it is cash. See the difference?

It's an ad for a Zappa album. Back then they used to give advance copies to people who clipped the coupons and mailed them in. What the ad never said was there were about one album for every 20 responses. What was cool was if you were lucky enough toget one you often got several followup albums by unknown groups. You also got on about a zillion

mailing lists for anything youth oriented.

I going to guess either a copy of Prez or a B@Bold circa 1968-69.

No, there is a brownie point premium of 3% if paid with credit card but none if it is cash. See the difference?

Sounds kinda fishy to me. I'll pass on the guess........ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Gotcha up to 3 stars with a little help from my friends. wink.gif No 3% surcharge for that.

It's an ad for a Zappa album. Back then they used to give advance copies to people who clipped the coupons and mailed them in. What the ad never said was there were about one album for every 20 responses. What was cool was if you were lucky enough toget one you often got several followup albums by unknown groups. You also got on about a zillion

mailing lists for anything youth oriented.

I going to guess either a copy of Prez or a B@Bold circa 1968-69.

I had know idea who it was until I did a search for "Mothers of Invention" and Zappa popped up. I could not figure out what the ad was supposed to do for you though. You are way off on the comic, it is from 1967 though.

Tom

Gotcha up to 3 stars with a little help from my friends. wink.gif No 3% surcharge for that.

Thanks, I have been low on stars for while - did not think I would ever hit 3 stars again. grin.gif

Tom

Thanks, I have been low on stars for while - did not think I would ever hit 3 stars again. grin.gif

Tom

One day, already back down to 2 stars. Hehe. confused-smiley-013.gif

My next guess was going to be an X-men but I was thinkng more in the 35-38 range. Is this one of the Marvels with

MARVEL POP PRODUCTIONS on the cover? Don't have my gerbers handy. Thought you only bought slabbed x-men?

My next guess was going to be an X-men but I was thinkng more in the 35-38 range. Is this one of the Marvels with

MARVEL POP PRODUCTIONS on the cover? Don't have my gerbers handy. Thought you only bought slabbed x-men?

I honestly never heard of Marvel Pop Productions before, what does that mean? Do a search on eBay for issue 41 to see what it looks like. Zappa was popular during the same time as X-men 35? Not that I know much about him , but it just seems so long ago, especially since he only died about 10 years ago. Most upgrades I do now are cgc'd but I do buy raw X-men comics occasionally as long as they are exceptionally high grade or a good deal for turnover. I am going through my collection and grading issues for sale on eBay. After collecting and upgrading so long, I have up to 7 copies of silver Marvel titles, it is time to make some room and get rid of anything lower grade.

Tomega

For a short while, Marvel Comics changed their name to Marvel Pop Art Productions in the 60s. I'm not sure if it was a legal name change or what but examples of the books would include Spidey28 to31,Avengers19 to 22,FF 42to 46,ect,ect. Did not have my Gerbers handy and thought it was later than it was . I thought it was during the 67 Summer of Love period but it turns out it was before.Got any raw Caps?

For a short while, Marvel Comics changed their name to Marvel Pop Art Productions in the 60s. I'm not sure if it was a legal name change or what but examples of the books would include Spidey28 to31,Avengers19 to 22,FF 42to 46,ect,ect. Did not have my Gerbers handy and thought it was later than it was . I thought it was during the 67 Summer of Love period but it turns out it was before.Got any raw Caps?

Jeez, I have seen that a million times and never gave it a second thought. I do have a full run of Cap's but I have not looked at in years, I started concentrating on the TOS's after I filled the run. The next few weeks I will be fully grading everything and when I get to the Cap's and TOS's, I will send you a list. Most of what I will be getting rid of will be 8.0 and below duplicates. It is amazing how your grading skills sharpen over the years, there are some books that I had recorded as 9.0 to 9.4's five years ago that would barely pass what I consider is a 7.0 now.

Tom