• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official CGC Conspiracy Thread.

40 posts in this topic

...way I heard it, CGC uses the latest color photocopy technology to reproduce your books shortly after arrival in Sarasota. They then slab the reproductions before sending 'em back to you. The originals are all trucked via courier to the walled estate of the shadowy Mr. X behind it all. 893whatthe.gif

stooges.gif

Don't laugh,..there is a comic shop owner here in Richmond who is convinced that a lot of CGC books are just that..cover copies around fake guts

...way I heard it, CGC uses the latest color photocopy technology to reproduce your books shortly after arrival in Sarasota. They then slab the reproductions before sending 'em back to you. The originals are all trucked via courier to the walled estate of the shadowy Mr. X behind it all. 893whatthe.gif

stooges.gif

Don't laugh,..there is a comic shop owner here in Richmond who is convinced that a lot of CGC books are just that..cover copies around fake guts

I'm gonna go crack my slabs right now and find out..... tongue.gif

stooges.gif

I thought that as well. Till I cracked the slab on X-men 1 and saw the inside.

I think they only photocopy the covers...the interiors are mostly married surplus overprinted copies of Spider-Man, X-Men, Spawn, and Smurfs comics. I think they're doing a fine thing in this effort...SOMEBODY needs to destroy some of those early 90s comics for them to ever be worth anything.

Well I heard the reason they moved to Florida was so they could collect a fortune in insurance money when the next big storm blows thru.DO NOT SEND THEM BOOKS DURING HURRICANE SEASON.

I also was told its good to have your books graded the day after a major concert as everyone is still a little giddy.

I find that putting 20 dollar bills between the pages helps..... tongue.gif

27_laughing.gif You think they actually OPEN the books??? 893naughty-thumb.gif

Since CGC has graded 300,000 books, averaging at least $20, each...

I'd like to know what books are worth "stealing" when your legal business

brings in $6Million? Why risk losing millions in order to steal thousands?

Obviously the comic shop owner you mentioned is passing off FN books at NM prices...

and he knows his days are numbered. 27_laughing.gif

If there's a CGC conspiracy, it's obviously that even long-time dealers are in danger

of being "outed" for their used-car salesmen tactics.

(Or maybe CGC will prove once-and-for-all who the best dealers in the world really are!) grin.gif

Which one?

That dumb schmuk who has the little shop in the Ukrops strip mall on Patterson and 3 chop .

J.D.

That dumb schmuk who has the little shop in the Ukrops strip mall on Patterson and 3 chop .

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif DAVE'S COMICS!! That's they guy who has been running ads in Marvel comics for a decade or two.

I *HAVE* to ask...why do you call him a "dumb schmuck"? I've talked to almost two dozen people who have ALL--and I do mean ALL--told me the same kinds of stories. What's your problem with him?

That dumb schmuck who has the little shop in the Ukrops strip mall on Patterson and 3 chop .

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif DAVE'S COMICS!! That's they guy who has been running ads in Marvel comics for a decade or two.

I *HAVE* to ask...why do you call him a "dumb schmuck"? I've talked to almost two dozen people who have ALL--and I do mean ALL--told me the same kinds of stories. What's your problem with him?

I've been in there a total of twice,..( I usually go to either Nostalgia or Stories on Broad)....the first time, about 6 months ago I asked him if he had any CGC books and he went into a paranoid skitz about how they are all forgeries and there is no way you could prove they were the real books inside the case.....the second time was over Labor Day weekend,..I had some friends over and we were going to play Monopoly and I wanted to get the JLA version of the game instead of the original,...they were sold out at Nostalgia so I went to his place to see if he had it,....he told me that I was mistaken ,..that they never made a JLA version of it only a Spider-man set,....he's just nasty all the time,...Isn't the one rule about owning a comic shop that you got to be a fun person???

I've heard they get their micro-chambers from Mile high Comics.

I heard Chuck has the final say on the grading.

I heard CGC really stands for "Chuck Grades Condition", and that Steve's just the pretty boy front man!! 27_laughing.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif Never mind... confused-smiley-013.gif

That dumb schmuck who has the little shop in the Ukrops strip mall on Patterson and 3 chop .

I've been in there a total of twice,..( I usually go to either Nostalgia or Stories on Broad)....the first time, about 6 months ago I asked him if he had any CGC books and he went into a paranoid skitz about how they are all forgeries and there is no way you could prove they were the real books inside the case.....the second time was over Labor Day weekend,..I had some friends over and we were going to play Monopoly and I wanted to get the JLA version of the game instead of the original,...they were sold out at Nostalgia so I went to his place to see if he had it,....he told me that I was mistaken ,..that they never made a JLA version of it only a Spider-man set,....he's just nasty all the time,...Isn't the one rule about owning a comic shop that you got to be a fun person???

I can remember going into Dave's when they were in an even smaller place in that same strip mall. You could probably get about 5 people in there. I was only 10 or 11 years old then and I would make me Dad drive all the way across town because the books came bagged at no extra charge. They were really weird though. I moved away when I was 15 but I happened to be up there about 10 years ago. I needed an X-Men 192 (the first X-Men I had ever bought and also the only one that has ever been stolen from me). I couldn't remember the number at the time and they had a cow because I had to look through their back issues (they kept the back issues in a drawer. They struck me as really out there.

the first time, about 6 months ago I asked him if he had any CGC books and he went into a paranoid skitz about how they are all forgeries and there is no way you could prove they were the real books inside the case

shocked.gifblush.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

What an appropriate story for this thread!! Dave has consistently been a loon for decades, and as you described, one of the rudest comic shop owners I've ever met. I had been telling my girlfriend stories about him for years, but she wanted to go in there and look at his t-shirts once, and sure enough, he put on quite a show...he was yelling REALLY rudely and loudly at a woman I have to assume was his wife for putting some trading cards out on the shelf in the wrong place. I couldn't tell whether he was half-kidding with her or what and I found it funny he'd do that in front of customers, but my girlfriend didn't find it funny at ALL.

It amazes me that EVERY person I've ever talked to has some story to tell about what a rude guy he is...he must do great mail-order business, because every collector and dealer I've ever met in the Richmond area thinks he's a nut.

Read from bottom up...I've got some other comments but this is the crux of it...

==================================================

To: "Carl De La Cruz"

Subject: RE: wolverine Nabisco variant

Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:16:09 -0500

As I stated on the phone , they would be in very fine to near mint condition. ALL of them are in Very Fine or better. The two you are speaking of are in NM to MINT and will command a very nice price especially if you have them professionally graded. They should be in the neighborhood of $800.00 - 1000.00 each ( based on what I have seen and heard). Our supply will have varying degrees of cracks as the covers show EVERY little stress mark.

Dave's Comics

7019 F Three Chopt Rd.

Dept. WWW

Richmond, VA 23226

Phone: 804-282-1919

Fax: 804-282-8333

dave@davescomics.com

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 11:39 PM

To: dave@davescomics.com

Subject: RE: wolverine Nabisco variant

I received these comics yesterday. I was really happy with 2 but 3 of them were kind of dinged a bit more than I hoped. Is there anyway I can get three different copies, without the spinal damage? Just curious if you had better copies and at $100+ a piece, I was hoping they could be like the other 2 without the spinal damage. Thank for your help. The packaging was just fine by the way and it was not damageed in transit. Thanks for your help.

Dave's Comics wrote:

Dear sir, We would be happy to sell you a copy for the same price as the the

one that sold at $107.50 plus $5.00 shipping and 2.00 insurance (optional

but recommended). Let us know if interested.

-----Regards, Dave's Comics

Dave's Comics

7019 F Three Chopt Rd.

Dept. WWW

Richmond, VA 23226

Phone: 804-282-1919

Fax: 804-282-8333

dave@davescomics.com

-----Original Message-----

From: darthdiesel@yahoo.com [mailto:darthdiesel@yahoo.com]

Sent: Saturday, November 09, 2002 1:26 PM

To: dave@davescomics.com

Subject: wolverine Nabisco variant

To member: flannery

From member: darthdiesel

--------------------

The one didn't sell the other night for $99.99 - still interested in selling

that? or are ou going to relist...lmk Thanks!

I slabbed 3 books: 8.5, 8.5 and 9.0 - sold them on ebay for around $75 with all fees taken into account. The 2 "worse" copies were in VF- shape

I was just taken by the convo I had over the phone and was left feeling confident that I'd have decent NM books at the then $110 a pop price for it...

then I see the seller every week posting "NM/MT" copies, when he tells me that he can't substitute the 3 "non-NM" copies - and this was all before I even sent any to CGC. So I did like a good little buyer, paid him right away, got the books and asked for replacements right after I got the books. He just gave me the whole "grading is subjective" excuse... 893blahblah.gif

Just left a bad taste in my mouth...I didn't fly off the handle nor did I go around trashing the seller. I just don't agree with his view or take on the matter. confused-smiley-013.gif