• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miracleman

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was wondering what you all think about Miracleman and especially MM 15's. Is MM 15 overpriced or is it a good buy? Are they really that scarce? I was about buying a 9.6 for $150. What do you think? confused.gifThanks, John

Awesome series. MM 15 was overhyped. No way is it scarce. Ebay has been flooded with them. Pass on the 9.6. If you want a high grade copy try to find a nice looking 9.4 & save yourself some money. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Miracleman is a great series and I love that #15 with the that dark, classic cover. The main risk of buying an expensive #15 is that if they ever get the rights sorted out, they will finally reprint the entire series and that will arguably decrease the value of the back issues. Right now, there are no Miracleman TPBs in print.

On the other hand, reprinting the issues could turn more people onto the book and make #15 even more desirable. But saying #15 isn't rare is not true...if there were that many on ebay, then the winning bids for them would be much lower. Of course "rare" is a relative term, but one can assume that the print run for Eclipse books were much lower than that of Marvel/DC. But if $150.00 is consistently the winning bid for a CGC 9.6 on ebay, then that is a reasonable price to pay for the book.

Don't buy a 9.6 copy for $150. You can get an exceptionally high grade copy raw for about $80. Miracleman books show up all the time on eBay - the ones that are pricey are 12, 14, 15, 16 and 24. All the others you should be able to get for under $20 at an absolute maximum.

Actually, #23 was the hardest one for me to track down. Didn't I read somewhere that 23 and 24 had the lowest print runs for the whole series? Makes sense because Eclipse was have all those money problems when those books came out.

1- Miracleman is one great reading series

2- There'll always be more fans looking than the copies avaiable

3- There are "several" nº15 on that series specially nº9 (birth issue), nº12-16 (always go beyond at leats for 25$ a copie) and of course nº23 and 24 (the supposed last issues, these had very low print run).

4- This series didn't had a lot of people taking care of them.

5- The possibility of nº25 still on the air and Gaiman wining the rights can make the nº15 price take of 80$ doubling it.

A few years ago i had the chance of buying the series for 100$ and all in pristine shape...now they are in the vault of my heart,lol.

Regards, Pedro.

ps- and this is one of the best series from the modern age doesn't hurt either.

Good points Kermit, but if the series rights do get cleared up and they are able to print #25 - then presumably the rest of the series will be available for reprinting...

...and if they reprint it then there goes almost all interest in the series as a back issue.

Current demand is inflated by the lack of reprints available. People want to read it because of all of the good word of mouth it has been getting.

I still have all of my Alan Moore issues, but sold the Gaiman ones off about two years ago for about $10 each because I didn't really care for the stories.

Kev

I bought a MM 15 in 9.6 for $180 last year and thought that was a reasonably good deal.

The print run was minuscule compared to DC & Marvel books of the same era. It appears often on ebay only because demand is so high - but copies always get snapped up. An ungraded NM one went for over $200 on the UK ebay a few months back.

23 and 24 are interesting - both are even scarcer than 15 - but 23 has only 3 graded in 9.4 to date - with none higher. 24 has 4 in 9.6 and 9 in 9.4.

And I'd buy any high-graded 23s or 24s off any one!

I reckon if the title came back into print the value would shoot up all round.

No. 1 to 8 are the most common by far. In fact no.1 can still be bought from the UK publisher.

Kev.

Usually the reprint situation can damage the books value, but in this case, where we're talking about high profile books, i would be surprised if it would happen to this series.

Again, there are too few copies avaiable, and if they re-print, there'll be an increase of collectors/investirsors for these...i've talked about this with some people that are crazy longing to get a TPB and if the series lives up to the hype, the majority of these fellas would want to hunt down what's avaiable.

It's funny, because this series had it's price stopped on the "$ for a loonnggg time, i remember seeing nº15 at 3$ on a store,lol. But from one day to another, these literally exploded on the values chart and it's been like this for a while, with a slight constant price increase...

Regards, Pedro.

I'm not suggesting they are going to drop like stones, but I would say that if there were plenty of reprints available that Miracleman back issues would settle into a pattern similar to other comparable series by Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman, like: Saga of the Swamp Thing & Sandman

Those books aren't dead as back issues, as people still seek them out. But you won't see people paying $150 or more for a raw copy of Miracleman #15 if they can read it in a TP. It would probably settle back to being a $20-30 book in NM.

I'll probably sell mine the minute I hear the announcement of a decently reproduced reprint volume.

Kev