• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bidders who never lose

172 posts in this topic

Do you guys ever run into certain eBay bidders who will bid an insane amount on a particular comic so no one will dare overbid them? Do you ever realize what's going on and also bid an insane amount (but not too insane) so this particular user will pay through the nose? I've run into two such users in the last month on two different sets I pay a lot of attention to and I've made them fork over at least double what anyone else has paid in the last year on several different auctions. Ugh, it's still frustrating and I need to get a little whining off my chest...

I'm not sure you're going to get the sympathy you're looking for... Punishment bidding, while not illegal, is kind of a petty move. I certainly hope that someone does the same to you when you're going after eBay items you want. (Or that the bidder then retracts his winning bid so you're listed as the winner so that you pay more than you want to for an item.)

I don't bid $1000 on something that averages around $150 just to make sure I win the comic. Anyone who does is looking for trouble (and they got it tonight). Besides if someone cancels their bid after the auction is already over, the second highest isn't obligated to buy the item. Geez, did I insult you in some way?

They can cancel their item before the auction ends leaving you the high bidder.

You didn't insult me... I just don't like seeing punishment bids happen to punish someone else just because someone doesn't want to pay the same price as someone else. It's petty. It's "small" and it indicates a lack of sportsmanship in my opinion.

(Note that if I were the seller, I'd probably be pleased to get the higher price...)

If they cancel their bid I'd get the item at the price I want. So someone who bids $1000 for a $150 comic is the better sport? If you're truly willing to pay that much how is "punishment" bidding small & petty?

What does being the high bidder have to do with being a good sport? The guy who wants it the most and can pay for it does so. You said it yourself in your original post, you needed to whine. And that's what you're doing. You're whining like a baby because you can't be the high bidder on something. What does it matter to you if somebody overpays for something they apparently want. Its got nothing to do with you and its none of your business if they overpay by a million times guide. So what, its not your money. Jacking up the price on something you have no intention of winning simply because you know beforehand another bid will continue to up the ante shows a lack of class on your part. It has nothing to do with the guy who is overpaying. You are petty. Sorry, you just are. The fact that multiple people need to explain to you why that's petty is ridiculous.

Wow. I didn't think this many people would be on the other side. Punishment bids may be petty but to think putting up that jacked up bid in the first place isn't the same or worse is beyond me.

Yes, any their tune will change quickly when they continually lose to the same person over and over again at above market prices - often for the same book. That's what is the impetus for this behavior.

You bid market for Goober #1 and lose by the minimum bid amount to some guy. The next Goober #1 goes up and bid 1.5x market and lose by the min. bid amount to the same guy. The next Gooder #1 comes up and you bid 2-3x market and lose by the minimum bid amount to the same guy. At this point you have to wonder what this person is willing to pay.

It's one thing to have enough money to not care what you are going to pay for something. It's another thing altogether to be a about it.

Yeah, there should be a law against allowing people to pay what they want for things if you think they're paying too much. Better yet, maybe enact a law stating they can't own more than one copy of something. Maybe go even further and place a ceiling on what price something could be sold for. This is ridiculous. If you want Goober #1 then shut up, save up and pony up.

Here's a thought-- I wish there was a way to get rid of snipe bidding that way it would be fair to everyone. If you go to a live auction you see everyone who is bidding against you and there isnt a sneak who pops in the last few seconds.

just my 2 cents

There's nothing wrong with snipe bidding unless you're on the losing end of the stick. Sour grapes is all this is. If people don't want to get sniped they should stop thinking they're going to get a "steal" on ebay and they should recognize that if their high bid gets beaten, be it 5 days or 5 seconds before the auction ends, don't whine about it and maybe next time bid more. If you don't want to bid more then don't cry about getting sniped. I get sniped all the time. Do I cry about it. No, I tell myself that I was a insufficiently_thoughtful_person for not bidding more or I walk away from the thing knowing I didn't want to pay more.

Goober #1 was a horrible issue, #2 was a little better though.

#3 was even better with the X-creMent cross-over, with the halo, day-glo, chromium, mirror variant, and certificate of expensivity. I have 56 copies of that issue alone.

I'm not saying it's cool. But what happens when two users legitimately use the same tactic? Who's on what side? I've come to think that both are stupid but I'll still lean towards "punishments" over insanity

Then to each his own and the highest bid wins. As both people are willing to pay X amount for the book then that is fine.

But its when someone ON PURPOSE bids up someone to make them pay more that the line is crossed.

:applause:

I'm not saying it's cool. But what happens when two users legitimately use the same tactic? Who's on what side? I've come to think that both are stupid but I'll still lean towards "punishments" over insanity

Then to each his own and the highest bid wins. As both people are willing to pay X amount for the book then that is fine.

But its when someone ON PURPOSE bids up someone to make them pay more that the line is crossed.

:applause:

:acclaim:

:hi:

#3 was even better with the X-creMent cross-over, with the halo, day-glo, chromium, mirror variant, and certificate of expensivity. I have 56 copies of that issue alone.

56 copies? That's not bad, i'm still ahead of you though.

56 copies? That's not bad, i'm still ahead of you though.

:hail:

You're assuming that the high bidder INTENDS to pay $5,000 for the $100 book... that to that person the book is worth $5,000. I think a bid like that is put out there with the assumption that it will never be paid which in my mind is no less juvenile than the punishment bid. The high bidder is actually willing to risk losing $4,900 just to say they've won. How childish is that?

Besides feeding their egos, I think the few individuals that do this also do it with the intention of frustrating other bidders away (i.e., as a tactic to minimize competition). Whether it works or not is hard to say. But heck, a few punishment bids to keep poeple honest -- maybe not such a bad thing. [though admittedly I'm much to cowrdly to be the punisher!].

I've put many a beat-down on certain comics I want. Sniped within 1 second - some cry and whine about that - I either ignore them or tell them to bid higher next time.

CAL

This is not a good Thread.

CAL

Yea, a GOOD thread should have way more than 5 pages of responses!

C'mon people! Bid/Snipe...Win/Lose...Complain/Don't Complain...

Can we please squeeze out another 5 pages!

Please

Rick

PS: If you don't like the thread, stop reading & change the channel.

(Ha! Beat the rest of you to it!)

Really??? Typed in just like a rookie to these Boards - the WORST Threads get the most responses and flaming.

CAL

You're assuming that the high bidder INTENDS to pay $5,000 for the $100 book... that to that person the book is worth $5,000. I think a bid like that is put out there with the assumption that it will never be paid which in my mind is no less juvenile than the punishment bid. The high bidder is actually willing to risk losing $4,900 just to say they've won. How childish is that?

Besides feeding their egos, I think the few individuals that do this also do it with the intention of frustrating other bidders away (i.e., as a tactic to minimize competition). Whether it works or not is hard to say. But heck, a few punishment bids to keep poeple honest -- maybe not such a bad thing. [though admittedly I'm much to cowrdly to be the punisher!].

This is a general reply so don't take it too personally.

I seriously think people need to check their egos. Do you think the guy who way overbids gives a rats patoot about you, or anybody else who's bidding? He wants the freaking book. And who is to say how much is too much? So 5000 for a 100 book is absurd in and of itself despite the fact that we all agree that person probably has no reason to believe the book would reach that price. So would 500 be absurd? Would 250 be absurd? Who is anybody to say? Furthermore, you don't know in the first place what his "absurd" high bid might be. There's no way to know unless you are a "spoon" and start jacking the thing up to see how high the guy was going.

Putting people in their place? OMG, now we're going to have ebay police running around pointing fingers at people and teaching them a lesson not to bid so high next time. People need to mind their own business and keep in mind what they think is the right price for the book is meaningless to anybody else.

Really??? Typed in just like a rookie to these Boards - the WORST Threads get the most responses and flaming.

CAL

This is not a good Thread.

CAL

C'mon people! Bid/Snipe...Win/Lose...Complain/Don't Complain...

Can we please squeeze out another 5 pages!

Please

Rick

PS: If you don't like the thread, stop reading & change the channel.

(Ha! Beat the rest of you to it!)

:hail:

I suppose technically the person is risking losing 4900 bucks but that's not the point of this at all. Nor do I think they intend to gloat about it saying "yeehaw, I won". Again, this makes me think people are taking things way too personal and need to check their egos at the door. The winning bidder doesn't care about you, he cares about he book and doesn't want to get sniped. A decent person who wants the book may decide to snipe it and they may decide to pay more than what its worth to do so. A person who continues to pump up the price having long since lost interest in the book due to the cost is anything but a decent person.

This is a general reply so don't take it too personally.

I seriously think people need to check their egos. Do you think the guy who way overbids gives a rats patoot about you, or anybody else who's bidding? He wants the freaking book. And who is to say how much is too much? So 5000 for a 100 book is absurd in and of itself despite the fact that we all agree that person probably has no reason to believe the book would reach that price. So would 500 be absurd? Would 250 be absurd? Who is anybody to say? Furthermore, you don't know in the first place what his "absurd" high bid might be. There's no way to know unless you are a "spoon" and start jacking the thing up to see how high the guy was going.

Putting people in their place? OMG, now we're going to have ebay police running around pointing fingers at people and teaching them a lesson not to bid so high next time. People need to mind their own business and keep in mind what they think is the right price for the book is meaningless to anybody else.

We really need to meet up at the Mid-Ohio con, seems we pretty much have the same way of thinking. And a few beers, makes the waitresses seem all the more attractive....at least for me.

I'll tell you what, if a GI Combat #9 ever comes up for sale on ebay and I put a fairly large bid on it, I'd be extremely pisssed of if I get punishment bids placed on it.

Note to self.... :devil:

evil, I tell ya, pure evil. Watch out for a trooper smack down.