• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Now or Later

29 posts in this topic

I haven't touched a comic in over ten years, but a friend got me back into them again (or maybe I was just waiting for an excuse). Anyways. I started a month or 2 ago, and was at first happy to see many series at relatively low numbers (Iron Man, New Avengers, Green Lantern, Ms. Marvel, etc.) bebecause I prefer to own the comics rather than trade paperbacks

I do not buy a comic with future dollars in mind, I just like to have things complete. Some of these comics though, especially the Civil War ones, aren't even half a year old and they're going for, what I think are, idiotic prices.

My question; is this a passing craze that will let the prices go down much like many of the comics from the 90's? or should I just suck it up and buy them now before the prices get worse.

Welcome to the Boards.

I would say not to pick up too many Moderns

unless you really like to spend money.

Wait until, a nice comic con rolls around and pick up

runs of books to read on the cheap...

Or better yet, just go to our For Sale forum and buy

from our respectable members there.

:thumbsup:

Then again... "Buy it now, or buy it later?" Buy whatever you like, be it "Now or Later". Personally, I hadn't been into comics for over 12yrs., until I fell into investment-grade CGCs. Then I rediscovered some of those great Bronze-Age title from my youth -- (thumbs u ! Then I took a chance on the new Finch, Moon Knight book in '06... not too bad for newer stuff! :cool:

Buy what you like, Bro! :applause: Either now or later... :headbang: it's all good!

This is a GREAT place to buy books. I've almost completely gotten away from eBay because the concentration of capable graders who price to sell far outweighs the occasional steal I'd get from the bay.

Regarding moderns, I'd suggest waiting. Many of the variant covers of Civil War that were originally running at $50-$100 after initial publication are now around $15 ea. Give it some time, and (IMHO) the price will drop.

Welcome back into the fold! I was in your shoes a year or so ago, and its been a blast!

Thanks guys, that is just what I was hoping to hear. I was really dissapointed when it looked like I would have to drop like 40 bucks for a few Iron Man and Avengers issues that I missed buying off the stands for cover price by few months.

What basically happened was, my friend lent me trade paperbaks for Civil War, Infinite Crisis, Green Lantern Rebirth, and a couple of others. Roughly 8 seconds later I was at the store practically wearing a sign that said "I heard that comics are awesome again, I have money."

Now, my only regret is looking at the "Comic room" thread. Because until then I was quite proud of my 80's Wolverine 4 part mini series that I had managed to keep in decent condition. :censored:

No kidding. There are measuring sticks flying around all over the place in here. Just when you think yours looks pretty good, wham, someone whips out one that's bigger and better.

Just stay out of the Golden Age section. There's yardsticks out there. Big swinging ones.

Back on topic, I buy moderns but only what I want to read. Keep in mind that if you buy moderns, you're not going to get any value out of them for a very very long time. Probably never. But if you enjoy reading what you get, then you're at least getting something out of it.

As far as paying $$ or $$$ for moderns. I say wait it out. The book with either go down significantly after six months or level off at about the same price. Then you can make a better decision as to whether or not you want to spend the $$ (or $$$) on it.

you might want to rethink your idea of no trades. :shrug:

I love em because they are cheap and I cant stomach the idea of spending $4 for a book that is close to worthless as soon as I leave the LCS.

But to each his own :foryou:

Yeah I am exactly the same way Mac Man. Just something about having all the actual comics of a title starting from #1 makes me feel warm and snuggly inside. Hence my frustration when I look at comics on Ebay that were put out at the beginning of summer and they're already in that CGC plastic tomb-thing and the price is jacked-up.

I did actually attend a convention also, friend took me to Wizard World in Philadelphia just as my renewed interest was taking shape. I didn't really know what I wanted at the time (and was a bit overwhelmed), so I couldn't take advantage of it really. However, I did get to see the cheerleader from Heroes and have my head put in a vice-grip by the guy who played "Jaws" in the old James Bond movies, which I feel more than makes up for it.

Eh, I go for the comics v. the trades. It's one of my little neurotic tendencies with this hobby.

I'm just the opposite these days. I love having the trades to read rather than wait month after month. I also have no problem with waiting until story arcs or series are collected into trades.

you might want to rethink your idea of no trades. :shrug:

I love em because they are cheap

Can't go wrong there! You get more for less, right? :grin:

I like em a lot. Plus, im not drooling over any title so if I see something that piques my interest here for cheap then :takeit: