• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT : Todays a big day for me

47 posts in this topic

The hardwood was actually on both of us. I have really grown tired of carpet and having to do so much to care for it over the years. Plus we have dog so it will be easier to clean up. Im actually really excited about all the first changes we are going to be making. (im sure that will change when I`M the one doing all the work). Ive learned while its always nice to the male ego to keep that iron hand, it really make slife easier to just let the lady have the things she wants......(to a point).

changes are good....

really....

My list is kinda scary, but over 10 years.....

As my wife is pretty darn smart...and every change that I fought....I ended up liking in the end.

Go figure...

Enjoy and make the house what you want of it.....

Cheers

She is going to have a lot of ideas in the coming years, and as Barney Fife would say, YOU have to "nip it in the bud".

Why? Some of these proposals may sound sound?

The problem is that there is never an end in sight. Every time you think that the ball is (to use a football analogy) tumbling end over end through the uprights and over the crossbar, the goalposts will have shifted. No sooner has this major project been completed than another one or two are raised in its place. Like the Hydra, cut off one head and two take its place.

This is from years of experience, Grasshopper. Learn to pick your battles and recognise that this is the "Neverending Tasklist". Use logic, especially of a fiscal nature to debate the matter with your significant other. Be aware, once pregnancy and children enter the picture, she will have no problem playing those trump cards. You must counter with calm and reasoned discussion, centring on why her "demands" are just not practicable at this time.

Forewarned is forearmed.

I am available for private PM consults should the need arise.

(worship) (worship) (worship) (worship)

Truer words have never been spoken!!!!

at least a 1996 home shouldn't have any real problems unless something was installed/built improperly, which should turn up on an inspection. i guess you could have mold issues with the sheetrock.

you should have decent insulation and double windows, which are something to be aware of. if you somehow have single pane windows and have a real winter, your heating bill will kill you. I couldn't replace our's right away (wanted to pay in cash and didn't have enough yet), wrapping up in April, and we got a horrendous Feb/March heating bill ($600/mo). unfortunately, them victorians didn't full understand insulation and some newspaper is about as much as any wall has in it. i wish i had considered "blown in" insulation before spending $3K getting the interior of the house painted and making me loath to make the holes in the wall i need for that.

do what needs to be done. i agree with everyone, DON'T rush off and buy a ton of furniture, particularly new furniture. We managed to take the furniture from a [packed] 1 bedroom apartment and it has almost filled a 5 bedroom house (actually, it's 7, but 2 of them have been converted to other purposes and don't have/need furniture). see what you need. buying furniture should be a gradual and evolving process. your folks likely have furniture (I'm getting my grandmother's dining room table from my mother who has two of them already...), people downsize...

we bought a 103 year old victorian that wasn't in great shape. a lot of work. but there simply is no new construction in the area. 1920s is the newest around.

wive's often want everything done instantly. my wife is FINALLY accepting that some things might not need to be done right away. the back steps that needed to be replaced INSTANTLY haven't been mentioned in a while. The lattice work under the porch that needed to be replaced before moving in because, lord forbid, neighborhood cats were hanging out under our porch, hasn't been mentioned in a while.

The only advice I have to say is to pay off the morage asap, we're currently on a 25 year one but in the next couple of months we're increasing our payments to bring it down to a 6 year morgage.

once you own your house the bank can't take it away, and all that money that would go on your morgage is now free to run wild (thumbs u

plus if do take 20 to 25 years to pay it off you end up paying your house price over 2 or 3 times over - depending on interest rates.

So, even if you have an extra $200 a month don't spunk it on something that will be out of fashion on 5 years - give it to the bank !

At recent low fixed interest rates, in the U.S., assuming you have an income where you can take advantage of the deductability of mortgage interest, going nuts to pay off your mortgage early may not make much sense. The after-tax cost of my mortgage is about 4%. In most years you can invest and beat 4% by a hefty margin even after taxes. And don't underfund your 401K to pay off that mortgage early.

But I do understand the peace of mind perspective. If I suddenly found myself with $1 million I'd definitely use half of it to pay off my mortgage and not have to worry about that ever again even though it doesn't make that much sense to do so from a financial perspective.