• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT : Todays a big day for me

47 posts in this topic

SWP is great. We painted our whole house with it. We bought Duration as we have children and want the easy removal of marks. Expensive but so sorth it. Avoid Glidden, Behr is okay.

We have painted 4 houses. Take my word for it, Sherwim Williams is the best for the money.

Make sure you had a home inspection. Surprisingly, even as an engineer, I think it's a good idea.

That is some of the best advice you can get. A home inspection is very important and a good home inspector will point things out to you that may require attention in the near future or turn you off to the house entirely. You don't want inherit someone else's problem.

Congrats and good luck. (thumbs u

I thought about movers but i honestly dont think it would make sense because my house is only 6 miles from my current apartment.

I moved about 20 miles from my old place when I used the movers. We had a bunch of stuff, and really just ourselves to move it. If you've got alot of buddies that are helping (and have trucks) then you really don't need movers. But, if it's just the two of you and a Uhaul, I'd look into it.

They'll usually hit you with a two hour minimum, but even at $75/hour, that's only $150. Trust me, if you're going to paint the entire house yourself, you're not going to want to do all the moving too. You'll be at one anothers throats.

...also...buy a life insurance policy on yourself and a policy where if you die the home will be paid for so your wife won't have that to worry about...

Insurance may seem like a sinkhole but it's good piece of mind knowing that your spouse won't be "out on the streets" in case the worst happens... ;)

Centricon System

Check the house for proper insulation and to make sure there were no exisitng leaks.

If you paint yourself, take your time. If you make more money doing what you do for a living work overtime and pay someone to paint the house.

Be aware that laminate flooring is slippery if you are in your socks.

It's a bad sign if your sellers are moving to Argentina or Brazil.

Don't rush out and buy everything new (unless you can afford it).

Throw a little extra towards the mortgage every month (even if its $20) it makes a huge difference on the back end.

Keep extra sets of keys in locations only you know about. It's amazing how often people get locked out especially if the do not have a garage door opener.

Get familiar witht he homeowners associations bylaws if there are any. Found this out the hard way.

BTW Benjamin Moore is one of the best paints to buy. Aqua-Velvet is a satin finish that you can easily clean and give the walls a nice warm feel.

Its alot of work owning a home but it beats renting hands down.

Congrats.

CONGRATULATIONS! Are you still in NC?

yes i am.

i just finished with closing.

I gave them alot of money and they gave me a set of keys!!?!? What a deal..lol.

Thanks everyone for the advice on stuff to look out for. Ill post a bunch of pictures once i get the first few set of upgrades done.

One more thing....as others have mentioned, get to know your neighbors. Once you get to know some pretty well, give them an extra set of keys. Also good to know as you can have your postman deliver books to them if you know you're not going to be around and are expecting something.

congrats

someone mentioned it already, but I am a big believer in knocking out all that interest...try to set yourself up on a bi weekly payment plan (that way, you get 13 payments done, versus 12, that will save you 4 years off a 30 right there)...then, try to knock out at least $100 a month extra in principle (another few years and ton's of interest $ savings)...

then, go out and buy more houses!...find your niche (in my neck of the woods, 4/2+ with nice yards are rarely for rent, so that is what I concentrate on buying) and let your renters build you equity for the future!...

gator

OK, congratulations, well done. (thumbs u Now the real work begins.

Other posters have already covered the financial aspects (I did the fortnightly repayments thing and it works out great).

The real problem now is that you have already crossed the Rubicon with regard to "getting the house just right". Now, those are HER words not mine.

What mistake? The hardwood/laminate flooring. I can understand the painting - it is not that big a deal when the place is empty - but I can almost guarantee the new flooring was not your idea.

You may think it was, but I'm betting the two of you came to an agreement. Guess what, it was her idea.

She is going to have a lot of ideas in the coming years, and as Barney Fife would say, YOU have to "nip it in the bud".

Why? Some of these proposals may sound sound?

The problem is that there is never an end in sight. Every time you think that the ball is (to use a football analogy) tumbling end over end through the uprights and over the crossbar, the goalposts will have shifted. No sooner has this major project been completed than another one or two are raised in its place. Like the Hydra, cut off one head and two take its place.

This is from years of experience, Grasshopper. Learn to pick your battles and recognise that this is the "Neverending Tasklist". Use logic, especially of a fiscal nature to debate the matter with your significant other. Be aware, once pregnancy and children enter the picture, she will have no problem playing those trump cards. You must counter with calm and reasoned discussion, centring on why her "demands" are just not practicable at this time.

Forewarned is forearmed.

I am available for private PM consults should the need arise.

Duffman....doesn't quite get it yet....he's right in that women will always have projects....wants and needs.......are you married? lol

speaking from experience over the last 8-10 years

new closet organizers

new tv stereo surround system

new intercom system

new interior decorating

new garage door

painted walls

new flooring

new carpet cleaner yearly appointment

new lawn mowing service

new landscaping

new door locks exterior

new door locks interior

new interior fireplace (gas insert)

new office and household furniture

new greenhouse

new mailbox/post

new appliances

new windows (this one has a broken seal, that one has a scratch)

new deck stain

new exterior siding

new roof....well maybe she doesn't really want it....but she'll think she needs it.

new asphalt or concrete driveaway at the first sign of a frost heave or crack

new interior furniture

new deck furniture

new grill

new grill tools

new kids toys

new pool for the kids

new this and that for the kids

new this and that for her

new this and that for the house

And after arguing against many, saying ok to most, and paying the bills along the way.....most of these things are actually pretty nice to have done....

You don't have to live in a white shell of a house with beige carpet and oak furniture.....you can actually make it into whatever "she" wants...

Cheers,

ps...I've got a 15 year 4.5 percent fixed mortgage....and after 10 years..I've got 11 or 12 years left....the joys of refinancing to get a lower mortgage rate...... a few times....

congrats

someone mentioned it already, but I am a big believer in knocking out all that interest...try to set yourself up on a bi weekly payment plan (that way, you get 13 payments done, versus 12, that will save you 4 years off a 30 right there)...then, try to knock out at least $100 a month extra in principle (another few years and ton's of interest $ savings)...

then, go out and buy more houses!...find your niche (in my neck of the woods, 4/2+ with nice yards are rarely for rent, so that is what I concentrate on buying) and let your renters build you equity for the future!...

gator

Good advise,

Oh ya Congratulations :banana:

Duffman....doesn't quite get it yet....he's right in that women will always have projects....wants and needs.......are you married? lol

speaking from experience over the last 8-10 years

new closet organizers

new tv stereo surround system

new intercom system

new interior decorating

new garage door

painted walls

new flooring

new carpet cleaner yearly appointment

new lawn mowing service

new landscaping

new door locks exterior

new door locks interior

new interior fireplace (gas insert)

new office and household furniture

new greenhouse

new mailbox/post

new appliances

new windows (this one has a broken seal, that one has a scratch)

new deck stain

new exterior siding

new roof....well maybe she doesn't really want it....but she'll think she needs it.

new asphalt or concrete driveaway at the first sign of a frost heave or crack

new interior furniture

new deck furniture

new grill

new grill tools

new kids toys

new pool for the kids

new this and that for the kids

new this and that for her

new this and that for the house

And after arguing against many, saying ok to most, and paying the bills along the way.....most of these things are actually pretty nice to have done....

You don't have to live in a white shell of a house with beige carpet and oak furniture.....you can actually make it into whatever "she" wants...

Cheers,

ps...I've got a 15 year 4.5 percent fixed mortgage....and after 10 years..I've got 11 or 12 years left....the joys of refinancing to get a lower mortgage rate...... a few times....

Wow, except for the roof which was kindof needed anyway, I never had to endure any of those.

Yet.