• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it possible to read a 10 and have it still be a 10 when done ?

15 posts in this topic

I was thinking about this the other night and I'm curious what the group thinks? If you had a book that you somehow knew would grade a perfect 10 and you decided to read it and then have it graded or Mylite2 and board it and put away somewhere safe. What is the likelyhood of it still being a 10 when you got done?

Assuming you took reasonable precaution and made sure your hands were clean, wipe the coffee stains off the desk before laying it down (or maybe you'd cradle it in one hand making sure the cover didn't open too far). What other precautions would you take?

Would a modern book have a better chance than a Bronze or earlier book because of better paper stock, I'm thinking this would help. Would a chromium cover like X-0 #0 or something like the Marvels books have the best chance?

dave h

I was thinking about this the other night and I'm curious what the group thinks? If you had a book that you somehow knew would grade a perfect 10 and you decided to read it and then have it graded or Mylite2 and board it and put away somewhere safe. What is the likelyhood of it still being a 10 when you got done?

Theoretically, of course it would, since CGC graders have to open up the book anyway.

flexible chromium covers have the best chance of retainin 10.0 potential. However, cardstock is the worst, if when you open it u risk cracking the spine and flaking the edge.

One can read/grade without FULLY opening beyond a certain angle and risking the 10.0, but I guess we can agree that the more you handle it, the higher the risk of damaging the book, regardless the care you take to prevent such damage

Actually the same question could apply exactly to many a 9.9, since at the extreme upper range we are now into things like printer defects (or lack), perfect staple centering etc. Opening and reading a book shouldn't impact these PQ aspects. So it is just a matter of being real careful! And yes, I believe one could read a 9.9 or 10 and have it retain that condition.

I went out with a gal who I thought was a 10 , but as the relationship progressed & we were done I came to realize she was a 5.5. Where was CGC when I needed them ?

insane.gif

What if she got a restored or qualified grade...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893offtopic1.gif grab me a beer on your next trip to the fridge..... grin.gif

I went out with a gal who I thought was a 10 , but as the relationship progressed & we were done I came to realize she was a 5.5. Where was CGC when I needed them ?

insane.gif

should've checked the overstreet guide on that one. Or maybe Wizard is better for moderns?

dave h