• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AVENGERS #177 PAGE FOUND!!

8 posts in this topic

What a find! Hidden away for 20+ years. This great page features: The

Vision, Iron Man, Vance Astro, Korvac, Heimdall, The Watcher,

Eternity, Mephisto, Odin and Zeus!!!

The page is yellowed, has paste-ups, white-out, and three panels have

been masking taped into place......and I love it!!!

What do you guys think?

http://cafurl.com?i=5290 or (http://cafurl.com?i=5290)

ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER PAGES FROM Avengers #177? -- email me please

(Len_Gould at qep.com)

Thanks for the kind words (and extra eyes).

The former owner of the page was an art student who was studying to some extent with Dave Wenzel. Dave actually had the page and gave it to him many many years ago.

One of my posts caught the eye of a friend of his and the rest is history :)

Reassembling a book is a pain in the neck, but a good pain (does that make sense?) -- Between this issue and What If# 29 (What if the Avengers defeated everybody) -- the other book I am working on -- I find a page or two a year. I know some of them are out there for sure -- others.... I don't know.

A few years back Heritage auctioned off a two page set of the What IF#29 pages -- I have been kicking myself weekly for screwing up thew auction deadline.

But they are there somewhere :)

Thanks guys

Len

oh lord, what an insane task! the high probability that some of these pages are tucked away in collections and may not see the light of day for 40 years (if ever) would drive me absolutely insane.

and stuff happens...while we can probably assume that BA OA wasn't tossed in the dumpster like some GA and SA OA because anyone in comics knew there was a market for it in the 70s (even if only a couple of bucks a page then)... a friend of mine had a story about a homeless guy who brought a box of stuff into his store. in it was some OA, some random comics. he bought it (for nothing) and asked where it came from. the seller told him "yeah, there were some boxes on the street, a landlord had dumped this guy's stuff on the street over on ___, I couldn't carry more than a box though". my friend knew exactly who it belonged to because someone he vaguely knew kept a rent controlled studio apartment over there just to store his comic stuff he had been accumulating for 30 years, but that the guy travelled/had a few screws lose. He probably forgot to pay the rent.

my friend rushed over to grab the rest of it, but sanitation had already come and it was gone forever. my friend called a mutual acquantance to let the guy know he had his stuff (a box of it at least), but I don't know if he ever picked iup.

That's a story of an old time collectors who basically had his collection (worth tens of thousands now, if not hundreds of thousands) tossed in the trash. the rest of that OA is gone forever. Sad, actually. And anyone looking to complete those books is S.O.o.L.!