• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Somebody School Me on GA Caps

43 posts in this topic

Thanks for all the responses guys -- this has all been wonderful advice thus far and very helpful... I definitely can see the day I will move into other Timelys as well, perhaps as I start to learn more about GA in general.

Thanks for all the responses guys -- this has all been wonderful advice thus far and very helpful... I definitely can see the day I will move into other Timelys as well, perhaps as I start to learn more about GA in general.

as paul said, it is very addicting...I was "only" going to collect MMC...but, quickly got "sucked" down the Cap road, and will sooner than later, start looking at other timely's as well

good luck

gator

I'll sound off on issue 46 as an impossible book. Too much crossover appeal and a book that gets hoarded, never changing hands.

lucky for me, one changed hands in SD :hi:

I'll sound off on issue 46 as an impossible book. Too much crossover appeal and a book that gets hoarded, never changing hands.

The book is out there - but one has to be aggressive in pursuing it - a willingness to bid high and/or jumping on a copy at multiples of guide when it shows up at a fixed price.

I'm a low-budget bottom feeding collector for the most part, so Timelys in general have always seemed a little intimidating and out of my league, but there are several Cap war covers that I would really love to have someday. Some of my favorites are 20, 22, 26, 27, 33, 36, 37, 46 and 47.

Jeff

I'm a low-budget bottom feeding collector for the most part, so Timelys in general have always seemed a little intimidating and out of my league, but there are several Cap war covers that I would really love to have someday. Some of my favorites are 20, 22, 26, 27, 33, 36, 37, 46 and 47.

Jeff

Here's my copy #26 for you to enjoy, Jeff!

CA26.jpg

Jeff

CA26.jpg

David, those colors are spectacular :o

Angelo

Jeff

CA26.jpg

Awesome! :applause:

Shark covers rule! :headbang:

Jeff

Any idea what grade the book was in and what kind of multiple it sold for?

My friend just got his books back from CGC. Included in there was almost a complete run of Caps from #45 through to #55. Unfortunately for him, the Cap #46 came in quite a bit lower than all of the others with only a CGC 7.0 grade.

Oh well, I guess he still can't complain.

My friend just got his books back from CGC. Included in there was almost a complete run of Caps from #45 through to #55. Unfortunately for him, the Cap #46 came in quite a bit lower than all of the others with only a CGC 7.0 grade.

wow, cap 45-55...if he is selling, please PM me :)

I bought a cap 46 for 3x guide...I have been able to buy most caps in the guide to 1.5x guide range, but I made an exception for this copy...

gator

wow, cap 45-55...if he is selling, please PM me :)

I bought a cap 46 for 3x guide...I have been able to buy most caps in the guide to 1.5x guide range, but I made an exception for this copy...

gator

Then the market is softer then last year, I found prices in 06 to be closer to 1.5x to 2x guide on most and 3x on keys. Then again looking at 07 purchase I would agree at guide to 1.5x guide and then 2-3x guide for keys. Not a huge softening, but still a little.

Oh, and I need 46...so if the guy who got a 7.0 is willing I have funds to buy it...snicker, snicker, heh! heh!

hello all...

some of my purchases have been via private sales, but I have found a few at guide, many at 1.25x, some more at under 1.5x and on a rare occasion higher...

mind you, the 46 I got had restoration, so I only had to pay 3x guide for the pre resto grade....for the restored vf grade, I paid like 150% of unrestored VF guide.

rick

mind you, the 46 I got had restoration, so I only had to pay 3x guide for the pre resto grade....for the restored vf grade, I paid like 150% of unrestored VF guide.

rick

As I've always said, now that's a sign of a really hot book!

Virtually all restored books will only sell for a huge discount to guide. Very very few restored books are ever able to sell for a premium to guide. The trick is to identify and find these books before they get to this red-hot stage. Not an easy thing to do.

Anyways, I don't believe my friend is planning on selling the Cap #46 even though it's the lowest graded book in the run. I believe he's planning to keep all of the keys and sell off some of the less desireable books from this collection. Which means he'll probably keep all of the DC's, Timelys, and anything else of real value.

I'm thinking about taking the plunge into putting together a full run of GA Caps... while this is a long, long term project -- I'm very interested in finally making this move...

Good luck, Brian, & welcome to the GA madness! :applause:

Are you looking for a particular grade range (budget will likely determine this), or just looking for decent presentable copies?